B-band frustration

Started by Zohn, January 23, 2020, 11:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My re-aquired 2005 J05 has a dual source model with a barn-door pre-amp and it is giving problems.
My issue is the AST is glued to the bridge plate and the UST still sits firmly in the saddle slot, so the problem is supposedly reduced to pre-amp and/or endpin-jack.
The previous owner indicated intermittent noise at the endpin-jack, so that is my first point of action, so I ordered a new one online and can only get it end of Feb.
If the problem is with the pre-amp, then I'll leave th preamp on the guitar to cover the hole, remove the AST and UST, and replace it with a K&K pure mini.
The latter is my pickup of choice and I have it on 5 of my other guitars....
This is a classic example of why I'll never buy a guitar with cut-in pre-amp.

I had B-Band (no-cut) units in 2 other guitars, and have found them to be right up there with the best at the time (so did Larrivee) - when they worked that is, but have also read online about lots of issues with them. They also seem to have been taken over now by a Chinese concern.

I know what I want, but there are potential issues, thus a trade-off is imminent...

Thoughts?

]Preamp[/url]
]Hole[/url]
]AST[/url]
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I solved a B-band issue once.I removed the whole system put in a different pu then had a friend cut a lazered piece of wood cut to fit the opening sort of a sound port cooler.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Honestly? If the problem is the barn door pre-amp, I would personally leave it there as you say, remove everything else and install a K&K or something else. I detest 'barn doors'. But if you must and there was another solution like U-Rob mentioned, I probably go that route provided it is unnoticeable and looks good.

I found a guitar at the dump which I refurbished. Among other things, I removed the broken barn door pup and wiring entirely, since the guitar is black, taped a piece of thin cardboard over the hole with black electricians tape, stuck a Chicago BlackHawks sticker on top of that and ... voila! That's probably not a solution for you, however.   :blush:

Posted the wrong photo. Here's my wonderful handiwork!

Zohn,
I was re-reading your first post (just after admiring Duck's artistry), even though I know nothing about B-Band or cut-in pickups.
You don't seem to indicate what the problem is, besides the end pin jack noise, and if the whole system had failed you probably would have said so.
Which part doesn't work? The UST or the AST?
I see a ball end may be contacting the AST from the photo.
Also, is the end pin jack a simple jack or does it have an electric module as part of it? Jacks do get dirty.
At this time, only one of my guitars (a C-05) has a UST, all others are either Pure Mini or Baggs M1.
Anyhow, I was just curious about what the symptoms were.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 26, 2020, 10:07:32 AM

Not bad, not bad at all. And you say you found this guitar in a dump? What nut would throw away a guitar like that? :arrow

Quote from: fongie on January 26, 2020, 04:27:53 PM
Not bad, not bad at all. And you say you found this guitar in a dump? What nut would throw away a guitar like that? :arrow

It wasn't exactly thrown away. We have what they call a "good neighbours' shed" at our dump where people can leave things that others may want. It had the broken barn door pickup, a broken tuning peg, no strings and was missing the saddle, end pins and needed some other adjustments (had to drill out a broken end pin) but I had everything it needed in my miscellaneous box. My Yamaha is too good to be my campfire beater so this Austin took its place for that purpose. It's not awful.    :cheers  

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 26, 2020, 10:07:32 AM

I did a major repair to an lower end martin D-1 I think, and the barn door electrics were shot.
he didn't want them replaced, so i simply removed them, did a bit of finessing with a saw to make it less of a square opening.... VOILA sound-port!!!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on January 24, 2020, 12:26:28 AM
I solved a B-band issue once.I removed the whole system put in a different pu then had a friend cut a lazered piece of wood cut to fit the opening sort of a sound port cooler.

For anyone interested, I have a good deal of older B-Band parts ( I was the rep in Canada at one time).
I'm an old school guy who would rather fix something rather than toss it out and go buy new....

the B-band stuff was quite good, but other countries lack of respect for copy write . patented products who make lesser than copies, can screw up a good business.
Thats what happened to B-band.
the original high quality systems were $200-$300, plus installation.

then slowly $89.00-$129.00 systems made in another country slowly forced the original company out.

I have both products, and there is no question which is the inferior copy....

I still have a few original piezo strips, mic's and Core 99 pre-amps.
still a fine system when installed correctly.
Like over 50?

Quote from: mike in lytle on January 26, 2020, 10:38:00 AM
Zohn,
I was re-reading your first post (just after admiring Duck's artistry), even though I know nothing about B-Band or cut-in pickups.
You don't seem to indicate what the problem is, besides the end pin jack noise, and if the whole system had failed you probably would have said so.
Which part doesn't work? The UST or the AST?
I see a ball end may be contacting the AST from the photo.
Also, is the end pin jack a simple jack or does it have an electric module as part of it? Jacks do get dirty.
At this time, only one of my guitars (a C-05) has a UST, all others are either Pure Mini or Baggs M1.
Anyhow, I was just curious about what the symptoms were.
Mike

Hi Mike in lytle
Both the UST and AST's worked (still do I believe)
The issue was with the Pre-amp.
I ended up removing the complete system (the AST actually came off cleanly) and the Pre-amp's face was buckled from 15 years' clamping pressure (that is what happens to plastic) so I wasn't going to leave it there to cover the hole. The battery holder's Velcro (self-adhesive) was a bit of a challenge but I managed to get it off cleanly.

Anyway, I installed a passive K&K Pure mini (I have this pickup in most of my other guitars).
It is a good system and makes total sense having passive pick-ups in all your guitars and use them all with a single external Pre-amp/DI.
Besides the hole of the barn-door pre-amp, I cant stand having a battery inside my guitars - they usually pack up without notice halfway through a song on gig and is just easier replacing on an external setting.
The hole will stay un-covered for now, it was cut rather neatly in the factory. I don't see myself ever selling this guitar so no bother there.
Thanks for your interest  :smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 25, 2020, 06:47:15 PM
I found a guitar at the dump which I refurbished. Among other things, I removed the broken barn door pup and wiring entirely, since the guitar is black, taped a piece of thin cardboard over the hole with black electricians tape, stuck a Chicago BlackHawks sticker on top of that and ... voila! That's probably not a solution for you, however.   :blush:

Nice solution indeed Tom and cool idea, thanks!
If and when I decide to cover the hole, I would possibly cut the hole round or oval and make an insert from Rosewood or Maple, fashioned into a smaller side-port.
It doesn't bother me too much at the moment though....
:smile:

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on January 24, 2020, 12:26:28 AM

Certainly a viable option, thanks Rob!  :thumbsup

Quote from: headsup on February 04, 2020, 05:51:50 PM
I did a major repair to an lower end martin D-1 I think, and the barn door electrics were shot.
he didn't want them replaced, so i simply removed them, did a bit of finessing with a saw to make it less of a square opening.... VOILA sound-port!!!

Cool, thanks!  :+1:

Quote from: headsup on February 04, 2020, 05:58:06 PM

For anyone interested, I have a good deal of older B-Band parts ( I was the rep in Canada at one time).
I'm an old school guy who would rather fix something rather than toss it out and go buy new....

the B-band stuff was quite good, but other countries lack of respect for copy write . patented products who make lesser than copies, can screw up a good business.
Thats what happened to B-band.
the original high quality systems were $200-$300, plus installation.

then slowly $89.00-$129.00 systems made in another country slowly forced the original company out.

I have both products, and there is no question which is the inferior copy....

I still have a few original piezo strips, mic's and Core 99 pre-amps.
still a fine system when installed correctly.

Had I seen your reply earlier, I might have considered, that was the original intent that sparked this thread.
I am happy with going for a passive K&K. The hole will be fine for now since I don't intend to ever sell this guitar.
Thank you  :smile:

I have some B Band pre amps and pick ups in my parts bin. I might be able to help you out.
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on August 31, 2020, 10:28:34 PM
I have some B Band pre amps and pick ups in my parts bin. I might be able to help you out.

Thank you headsup
I sent you a pm...
:+1: :beer

Here's mine. Having the sound port IS nice and doesn't seem to take anything at all from what comes out the front.

port 1 by Matthew Miller, on Flickr
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.