Anybody Use 10's on Larrivee OM (or any other Larrivee)?

Started by lmg47, December 01, 2019, 10:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone use 10 gauge strings on their Larrivee OM (or any Larrivee) ?   If so,  what are your thoughts about them?  What brand?

Thanks!

Quote from: lmg47 on December 01, 2019, 10:19:43 PM
Does anyone use 10 gauge strings on their Larrivee OM (or any Larrivee) ?   If so,  what are your thoughts about them?  What brand?

Thanks!

I have not (and I have owned a Larrivee OM-05 for over 27 years) - and I don't think I'd be happy with anything lighter than 12's, unless I has having significant hand pain or finger joint problems... YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have a client that use's 10's on his Taylor  and Alverez/Yari dreads plays' everyday.Great jazz player.

Oh ya he's 72.... :humour:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Not 10's, 12's what I use..........why 10's may I ask? Have you tried tuning down from heavier strings? Try it.

Absolutely. If it was my only guitar, I wouldn't but I have a few guitars so I can afford to have one or two strung differently. Makes for slinky finger style. :cheers

Quote from: fongie on December 02, 2019, 01:37:35 PM
Not 10's, 12's what I use..........why 10's may I ask? Have you tried tuning down from heavier strings? Try it.

Old hands and 3-4 45 min. sets. :wave
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: lmg47 on December 01, 2019, 10:19:43 PM

Thanks!

I have on a D several years ago.  Thin is how I'd describe the sound.  When is the last time the guitar was set up?  I've found a few setup tweaks can make a guitar much more playable.

Ed

I would put it this way. If you're primarily a strummer or flatpicker, you should probably use heavier strings. 12/54's or 13/56's, for instance. If you'd like slinky finger style, especially if you have several guitars, try the extra lights. If you don't like them, how much are you out? However, if you play with others, you may find extra lights too quiet and liable to be drowned out by other guitarists.  :beer 

I use 10's on my Larrivee OM-09 and a D-35. Martin MA530T or MA530. For my ears it seems to open up wood because there is less tension on the wood. My 2 cents.

The problems with thin strings like that are that is that they sound out of tune because they decay quickly and the pitch falls off. They also don't drive the top so you're missing out on sustain, low end, and overtones (part of what makes acoustics great).

But, if they help your hands and allow you to play through arthritis, etc, go for it. Being able to play is the most important thing.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on April 29, 2020, 07:21:41 PM
The problems with thin strings like that are that is that they sound out of tune because they decay quickly and the pitch falls off. They also don't drive the top so you're missing out on sustain, low end, and overtones (part of what makes acoustics great).

But, if they help your hands and allow you to play through arthritis, etc, go for it. Being able to play is the most important thing.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I don't think they sound thin,not much volumn but workable depending on how you play.Getting a good setup for whatever guage you use is always majic.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on April 29, 2020, 10:28:50 PM
I don't think they sound thin,not much volumn but workable depending on how you play.Getting a good setup for whatever guage you use is always majic.
Rob, I seem to recall that you were using heavier strings. Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes I prefer heavy strings and I'm still using 14-56.A few of my clients have switch to 10's and 11's because of aging hands and fingers and since they play plugged in comfort is important,they get there volumn from the pickup.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Yes, I have 10s on an OM-09, and I love it.

I know that in theory the lighter strings aren't driving the top as much as heavier strings, but in practice, I'm happy with both the sound and the feel of the strings.

I initially tried 10s to try to get more of the feel of playing my electric.   I even tried an unwound G for awhile to get those big string bends, with a new saddle compensated for both the B and the G strings, but I was never quite happy with intonation so I switched back to a wound G.

And yes, it's a ton easier on my hands.

It's easy enough to try 10s and see if you like them, be prepared to adjust the neck just a little to account for less string tension.

My 2019 00-03MT came OEM with D'Addario EJ17 PB medium gauge strings as did my 2018 00-40M.
As a flesh of fingers, fingerstyle, player I did not care for the sound of the mediums so I switched to EJ16 PB Lights and they sound perfect to my ear with better playability.
My 2007 OM-03R came OEM with D'Addario EJ16 PB lights which sounded thin on top so I switched to EJ24 PB True Medium. MMLLLM- 13-17-24-32-42-56.
I like the EJ24 PB so much that I also strung up my 1995 Gibson J-30 Montana and my 2018 reimagined Martin M-36.

So the EJ24 might be worth a try if you want a bit more out of your guitar without radically increasing string tension.

Blues

I use 10's on my OM-09. I found the Martin MA530T give me the sound i want. Naturally volume will be less but that is something you need to determine for yourself. I can go between 10's and 11's with adjusting the truss rod.