Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Winwood  (Read 93 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:19:42 PM »

Could Steve Winwood be the most underappreciated guitarist of the rock era? I know he's in the Rock'n'roll H of F but still. I was a fan of the Spencer Davis Group and a huge fan of Traffic. However, back then, I thought Winwood sang and played organ and Dave Mason handled the guitar work. Then in 1969 I was lucky enough to see Blind Faith in concert. To my astonishment, Winwood played circles around Clapton that night. Who knew he even played guitar?

This is great stuff. A reformed Traffic minus Wood and Mason with a few new members at Woodstock '94. There's supposedly a live album from this tour, opening for the Dead. I have to track it down. The Clapton/Winwood live album from a few years ago is brilliant, as well. You know, if fine guitar playing moves you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0tf8FIPZsw
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »

Also makes me wonder about other musicians who are known for one instrument but who are really good at another (or many others). Paul McCartney, for instance, is an incredible electric guitar player. Years ago, at our local Blues Festival, the late Jeff Healey played and, instead of guitar, he played trumpet all night. Go figure!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: