Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tanglewood vs Washburn acoustic  (Read 113 times)
ForgottenPW

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »

I'm looking for a cheapie but a goodie (that's ideally smaller than my Larrivee dread) I can take places and not mind (too much) if it gets stolen.  But all the guitars I like aren't sold in my province   crying So I need help narrowing it down so I know which music shop to spend the next 5 hours travelling to by people who've played these brands.
My top budget is ZAR R3500 which is ~USD230.
I've narrowed it down to Washburns vs Tanglewoods. I've never tried a Tanglewood but I've heard they're good, and I love the sound of Washburns but I've heard they come apart after a few years.  

The options are:
Washburn WCD18
Washburn AG20 / AG40

(Solid top) Tanglewood TWUF/TWUD Union
(Solid top) Tanglewood TW4 BK
Tanglewood TWCRT Crossroads
Tanglewood DBTFNAT Discovery

... I'm not a noob - I forgot my pw to my old account but have some donuts   .
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »

Having both come thru my shop I'm a Washburn  fan.The quality of build,tone and feel was a bit better then the Tanglewood in MO.

Welcome to the loonie bin    

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may b
ForgottenPW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »

Thanks Rob!

I've never heard the Tanglewoods before but I love the Washburns' sound.  I think the only thing going for the Tanglewoods atm are the solid tops in the one range while all the Washburns are laminates.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:37:05 PM »

I know nothing about Tanglewood but have a Washburn 12 string and my good friend has a Washburn six string. Both very decent guitars for the money.
ForgottenPW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »

Thanks Ducktrapper!

So after a 4 hour trip down to the back of nowhere I found I didn't really need to worry about it all that much. The store didn't have Washburns  crying what it did have was a sales assistant who kept trying to get my to buy a Takamine because, "They're not that much more expensive. Only ten grand or so."

I ended up with a Tanglewood which is OK... It's playable but it doesn't have the Washburn sound I fell in love with. I'm tempted to lower the action a smidge and the guitar's cheap enough that I can justify fiddling with it myself.  I did find a really nice Ibanez I've put on my to-buy-list-when-I-get-money because it was a lot nicer than I thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: