Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1982 Larrivee L-09 JCL Headstock  (Read 258 times)
Jessbassdad

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:20:37 PM »

For sale is this early Larrivee L-09, built in Jean Larrivee’s Victoria, BC workshop prior to his moves to Vancouver to then later Oxnard, California.  This model has been subject to a few reissues by Larrivee, but this one is the real deal.

The guitar has aged nicely, plays very smoothly and sounds rich and articulate.  However, it is not without a few flaws which keep it from being collector grade.  

The specs:

Beautiful rosewood back and sides
Sitka spruce soundboard
“JCL” inlay on headstock
Marquetry rosette
Mahogany neck
1 ¾” nut width
Clear pickguard

The flaws (please see photos, more are available upon request):

A somewhat unsightly repair of a chip in the rear of the headstock
Small area of scratches on the back down at bottom edge near binding
Some belt rash and a few other small dings

Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/w4R5VkucJtJhQHUN8

This is a great versatile player from the earlier years of Larrivee production.

Comes with a non-original hard shell case.

$1500 plus $75 shipping in CONUS.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 02:11:53 AM »

Yo,
Is this same guitar you were talking about back in July 2017?
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=51516.msg453034#msg453034
Just asking.
The damage to the head stock is from what? Did you actually buy it like that? Give us history.
Did you ever get any answers on what to do about the action issue, buzzing, etc, or is this guitar "same as then?".
We already know there isn't an adjustable truss rod in it.
Just asking, again.
Mike
Jessbassdad

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »

Is this same guitar you were talking about back in July 2017?

The damage to the head stock is from what? Did you actually buy it like that? Give us history.

Did you ever get any answers on what to do about the action issue, buzzing, etc, or is this guitar "same as then?".

Mike,

Great questions.  Here are answers:

Yes this is the same guitar discussed in the post you cited.

I am not certain what caused the damage to the headstock, as I bought it like that. The damaged area is about 1" wide, and maybe a 1/4" deep at most.  The repair does not look professional, it appears to be wood filler with some sort of stain applied.  The damage is not visible from the front of the guitar.  I have added a closeup of that area of the headstock to the linked photo album.

Regarding the issues I raised in the previous post (buzzing, action), all was solved by a simple setup and fret leveling by the luthier at Action Music in Falls Church, VA.  The guitar plays very cleanly now.

Thanks for the questions.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:48:42 PM »

I am not certain what caused the damage to the headstock, as I bought it like that. The damaged area is about 1" wide, and maybe a 1/4" deep at most.  The repair does not look professional, it appears to be wood filler with some sort of stain applied.  The damage is not visible from the front of the guitar.  I have added a closeup of that area of the headstock to the linked photo album.
The repair doesn't look as bad in your added photo as it did in the smaller one.
Heck, guitars get their entire head stock broke off and they get repaired and play just fine.
Thanks.
Mike
Jessbassdad

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:13:18 AM »

Back to the top...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: