Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what was your first Larrivee and story behind it  (Read 200 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:33:09 AM »

Mines was a d05,very wonderful guitar
I regret selling in a fit of GAS
How bout you all?
David
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 03:49:39 AM »

L09Koa factory second.Wish I'd keeped and the matching 12 string a L09 koa 12 string.Wish I keeped a lot of my Larrivee's and others.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may b
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:26:20 AM »

Here's the story of my first Larrivée guitar
My dream guitars, then and now

JOYCEfromNS wrote some things in the Linda Manzer / Kathy Wingert Guitars discussion.

and since s/he was probably referring to my signature line, I thought I might reply to the thought.

I've been meaning to write something about the idea of a dream guitar. Of course not all of us have the same dreams. So here is little about me, for context.

• I sort of straddle the line between a player/performer who wants a workhorse instrument for live performance, and the home player who treasures his/her instrument. I have been told by a trusted voice in the music industry, that far fewer than half of all guitars sold ever see use on a stage. That's another topic.
  • I do take my best guitars out with me to play live.
  • I don't buy anything that is too good to take to a gig, but I might be fussy about which instruments go to certain gigs
  • I very rarely let others play my instruments unless I know they are as obsessive about things as I am, and I AM obsessive about things
  • Yes, I do have a 30th Anniversary C10BZ and yes, it goes out with me to gigs, and yes, about a month ago I offered it to a friend to play at a house concert
  • My Larrivées  are not the most expensive instruments here, but they may well be the most precious

Okay, enough context...

Back in my folkie days I hung out within spitting distance for Jean Larrivée's studio in Toronto. Two of the of people I played with regularly had Larrivées and told tales of Edgar Munch and Grit Laskin. But way back then I looked at, heard, and played those early Larrivées and just knew that one day I had to have one.  That's when it was a dream. Those were tough times and there was no money for something so fine.

Years later, having left the foolishness of the music behind, I was doing better and came across a pair of L-72s: A Classical and a Steel String. I bought them. Again, that was a dream - to play them someday. But those were rough times and there was no time for something so trivial.

Years later, having left the foolishness of business behind, I was was doing better and came across an opportunity to play jazz. I traded the L-72s for a nice jazz guitar and an amp. Again, that was a dream, to do well enough at music to be able to return to my acoustic roots with a nice Larrivée. But the offer to get back into music was  jazz. Jazz was great and as time went on, so were other styles of music, all electric. These were good times but there was not time for acoustic music.

Years later, having tired of the frenzy of electric music I turned again to acoustic music. When the time came, I tried lots of other acoustics, even bought a few (not few enough I'm afraid), but I always wanted a nice Larrivée. I bought a C10 Rosewood and almost immediately found a J10 that for some reason I liked better. One of my best friends stilll has that C10. It is available to me any time.  I still dreamed of that steel stringed L-72. But it was long gone.  Eventually the 30th Anniversary C10 BZ was announced. By the time I heard about it, they were all presold.  That was as close to the dream as I imagined might ever happen, dashed. But later it turned out that one of the presold instrument deals did not complete and there was one to be had. I had to have it.

A decade passed and after coming across this forum, I started thinking again of Larrivées gone by. I found a C38 Classical. Beautiful in its simplicity and every bit as lovely as my memory of the L-72 classical I had decades before, I had to have it.

I met the Forum III family in March last year. I had never considered a small-body guitar of any make, but the Forum III guitars (Danny's in particular) stole my heart. Another dream. Great - that's all I needed. It took awhile but eventually I found an LS-05. Good times.

So that's the story behind "Larrivée's (off and on) since the 70's. My dream guitars then and now."

Anyone else want to talk about why Larrivées are your dream guitars?

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »

Here's the story of my first Larrivée guitar
My dream guitars, then and now

JOYCEfromNS wrote some things in the Linda Manzer / Kathy Wingert Guitars discussion.

and since s/he was probably referring to my signature line, I thought I might reply to the thought.

I've been meaning to write something about the idea of a dream guitar. Of course not all of us have the same dreams. So here is little about me, for context.

• I sort of straddle the line between a player/performer who wants a workhorse instrument for live performance, and the home player who treasures his/her instrument. I have been told by a trusted voice in the music industry, that far fewer than half of all guitars sold ever see use on a stage. That's another topic.
  • I do take my best guitars out with me to play live.
  • I don't buy anything that is too good to take to a gig, but I might be fussy about which instruments go to certain gigs
  • I very rarely let others play my instruments unless I know they are as obsessive about things as I am, and I AM obsessive about things
  • Yes, I do have a 30th Anniversary C10BZ and yes, it goes out with me to gigs, and yes, about a month ago I offered it to a friend to play at a house concert
  • My Larrivées  are not the most expensive instruments here, but they may well be the most precious

Okay, enough context...

Back in my folkie days I hung out within spitting distance for Jean Larrivée's studio in Toronto. Two of the of people I played with regularly had Larrivées and told tales of Edgar Munch and Grit Laskin. But way back then I looked at, heard, and played those early Larrivées and just knew that one day I had to have one.  That's when it was a dream. Those were tough times and there was no money for something so fine.

Years later, having left the foolishness of the music behind, I was doing better and came across a pair of L-72s: A Classical and a Steel String. I bought them. Again, that was a dream - to play them someday. But those were rough times and there was no time for something so trivial.

Years later, having left the foolishness of business behind, I was was doing better and came across an opportunity to play jazz. I traded the L-72s for a nice jazz guitar and an amp. Again, that was a dream, to do well enough at music to be able to return to my acoustic roots with a nice Larrivée. But the offer to get back into music was  jazz. Jazz was great and as time went on, so were other styles of music, all electric. These were good times but there was not time for acoustic music.

Years later, having tired of the frenzy of electric music I turned again to acoustic music. When the time came, I tried lots of other acoustics, even bought a few (not few enough I'm afraid), but I always wanted a nice Larrivée. I bought a C10 Rosewood and almost immediately found a J10 that for some reason I liked better. One of my best friends stilll has that C10. It is available to me any time.  I still dreamed of that steel stringed L-72. But it was long gone.  Eventually the 30th Anniversary C10 BZ was announced. By the time I heard about it, they were all presold.  That was as close to the dream as I imagined might ever happen, dashed. But later it turned out that one of the presold instrument deals did not complete and there was one to be had. I had to have it.

A decade passed and after coming across this forum, I started thinking again of Larrivées gone by. I found a C38 Classical. Beautiful in its simplicity and every bit as lovely as my memory of the L-72 classical I had decades before, I had to have it.

I met the Forum III family in March last year. I had never considered a small-body guitar of any make, but the Forum III guitars (Danny's in particular) stole my heart. Another dream. Great - that's all I needed. It took awhile but eventually I found an LS-05. Good times.

So that's the story behind "Larrivée's (off and on) since the 70's. My dream guitars then and now."

Anyone else want to talk about why Larrivées are your dream guitars?

Great stuff here, thanks.
I've already spoken to my personal history with Jean when he was selling guitars out of his car.
He came to to Rufus Guitar shop in Mtl in 1972, where i was apprenticing.
Myself and a friend ordered one each. My friend still has his in Kingston, my first one lives in Toronto with a fine player.
Back then you gave Jean $300 up front, and he called you in 6 weeks and you needed to have another $300 for him.
And yes I have a LOT of crazy and boring stories from back in the day.
And yes I have a LOT of very "special" Larrivee guitars in my collection.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Jagadis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:01:35 PM »

My first Larrivee was a really nice Spruce/mahogany D-03 that I picked up on eBay.  I had wanted to own a Larrivee for quite some time but couldn't afford to pay full price.  I ended up winning the eBay auction for about 50% of what the guitar was actually worth (I think I paid $400) and I remember stressing while I waited for the guitar to arrive.  It kinda goes without saying that when something on the internet is selling for a price that is too good to be true, you are probably about to get scammed.  That being said, the guitar arrived as promised and the guitar was in great condition (just needed humidification and a setup).   I never quite figured out why the guitar sold for such a low price but my gut tells me that some unlucky dude either died or split up with his wife/girlfriend and she sold off all his stuff on eBay without knowing what some of the items were worth.  The seller was a women and the photos showed the guitar sitting on the floor beside a bunch of moving boxes. 

This was the guitar that got me hooked on Larrivee.  While I ended up selling this guitar to fund the purchase of my Forum III back in 2009 (the D size was a bit too big for my liking), I still remember this guitar fondly.  I'm sure somebody is still enjoying it today.

Jordan

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 10:12:40 PM »

Ironically I was living n Seattle in 79/80'  when I was 21/22.  (Watched Mt. St. Helens erupt) That was very close to Victoria where Larrivees were made at the time. Never heard of them while I was there. After going hungry in the great Northwest long enough, I moved from there
to southern Alabama, Dothan. Making decent money now my first goal was to get a good guitar. Being used to living on nothing, it didn't take long to save money. A new guitar shop had reps from Martin, Gibson and Alverez in store for grand opening. I let all those reps show me their stuff. When I didn't find one that knocked me out, the owner said let me show you these I have in the back. One big strum on L and I was sold. He had one with inlay and one plain. I gave him a down payment on the L-deluxe. Had it home in 6 weeks. Only guitar I had for 30 years and still almost 40 years later still the guitar I gig with.

Day I brought home

Larrivee.Dothan by Matthew Miller, on Flickr

A year or so ago, I think.

swanfest 18 by Matthew Miller, on Flickr

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 07:29:16 AM »

Coppied out of the thread from 2013:

My first "good" 6-striing was a Larrivee OM-03RE. This was back in 1997. I'd probably gone to 2 or 3 stores, when I went to Music Go Round, which was a Larrivee Dealer at the time.  The sales staff did the smartest thing they could do to get me to buy a guitar, they left me alone.  No "can I help you" which I find pushy, but rather "If you need help let us know".  Then they left me alone with the guitars for an hour or so.

I was already leaning hard toward a Larrivee anyway since back then they were probably the best value at the price point; In 1997 Martins couldn't be touched at the price, Taylors sounded thin and tinny, and Fender was busy destroying Guild. I can't remember if Tacoma existed yet but at any rate I'd never seen one.

I probably spent an hour and a half playing 3 guitars, an OM-03, and OM-09, and the OM-03RE. I liked the sound of the rosewood better and eventually ruled out the OM-03. I then decided against the OM-09 because I just couldn't justify the cost difference for the slightly wider neck and gloss finish.

The next day my wife and I were eating lunch at the Mongolian Stir fry in the same strip mall and she went over and bought the OM-03.

Only hosted pic I have is side by side with my (now sold) Forum-III

carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »

I went to a music store to buy some strings. Had a play on the guitars in the expensive room, as you do.
Played all the nice Martins and then played a plain jane  Larrivee LO2 hanging there on it's own.
The sound blew all those Martins' out of the water, and there were some expensive guitars in that room.
When I looked at the price tag, I purchased the LO2 on the spot.
Still have it, still love it, and now have some more Larrivees' to keep me and the LO2 company.
I like to think I am their biggest fan, but others here will no doubt also make that claim.
Jean Larrivee makes darn nice guitars.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print