Guitars that will never be sold...

Started by Jagadis, October 06, 2019, 04:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinda quiet around here lately.  Thought I would get some discussion going.  Curious what everyone considers the one or more guitar(s) that they own that will never be sold.  Here are mine.  These two guitars will never leave my hands.  One is my favourite Forum III #19 that I ordered as part of the original group buy back in 2009.  The other is my Larrivee RS-2 in TSB from 2012.  Both are incredible guitars and both always manage to put a smile on my face every single time I take them out to play.

Anyone else?  

Jordan

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Cold dead hands guitars? A pair of '75's.

over my dead body
for starters.....

1971 "rescue" Larrivee
RS4 gold top/bigsby ( one of two made)
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Two more on the dark side of things.

I don't have a pix but not till I'm dead{I don't know what my wife and son will keep} my OM03PA.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

The one I'll never sell (well, never say never, but you know what I mean...)

My 2018 Gibson Parlor AG

I purchased it with money left to me by my Grandmother in her will.

That's a keeper...

Never say never.

You'll never know when you might be looking at a guitar and hear No time left for you

My first Larrivee in - a '92 special order OM-05 lefty - will be the last Larrivee out.

There are a couple other non-Larrivees too, but this one stays till they close the lid on me...

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I had one of the Forum III guitar, mahogany and Italian spruce...gone  :crying:
I had a Forum IV, all mahogany 00  :crying:
I had a beautiful 00-50  :crying:

Never say never.

That being said my latest Larrivees, a classical LS-03R and custom 12 fret LV-03 with 40 series bracing and a classical rosette?  I'll never sell those!   :humour:

Maybe they should be called Starve First guitars.   :ohmy:

Is this the best song ever about "the one that got away"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lFNl5mEeJ8

Quote from: Jagadis on October 06, 2019, 04:13:47 PM
Kinda quiet around here lately.  Thought I would get some discussion going.  Curious what everyone considers the one or more guitar(s) that they own that will never be sold.  Here are mine.  These two guitars will never leave my hands.  One is my favourite Forum III #19 that I ordered as part of the original group buy back in 2009.  The other is my Larrivee RS-2 in TSB from 2012.  Both are incredible guitars and both always manage to put a smile on my face every single time I take them out to play.

Anyone else?  

Jordan

One thing I wanted to add.  One of the other reasons I will never let these two guitars go is that they also have interesting stories attached to them.  It goes without saying that anyone who participated in the whole Forum guitar discussion and purchase process for any of the Forum guitars would understand what I am talking about.  The Forum III guitars were no exception.  I think the thousands of discussion posts for the Forum III build single handedly got me through the winter of 2008/09 and looking back I can honestly say it was truly a wild ride.  

My RS-2's story is also kinda cool.  Back in the summer of 2012, Larrivee decided to run a video contest to win a really cool Gold Glitter RS-2.  To enter the contest, you had to submit a 1 minute video which showcased Larrivee's guitars.  My video clip didn't win first place but it made it into the top 5.   Shortly after the contest was over, I got an amazing email from Larrivee thanking me for my contest entry and congratulating me for making the top 5.  They also offered to build me any RS-2 at a very "special" price.  They wouldn't agree to do another Gold Glitter RS-2 but did agree to build me the gorgeous Sunburst RS-2 in my photo.  

These guitars are amazing but their back stories make them special too.

Jordan

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

I've given up on the "never sold" idea. The ones I said would never be sold are mostly gone. Ones I was willing to sell are with me and have become old favorites. I just take it as it comes and don't try to put absolutes on anything.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I'll add mine.

I first got into the OO models due to the F-IV I got. Boy was I blown away by the volume and growl that guitar had! Never could get the action dialed in the way I wanted so off it went. The OO-05 came from Wildwood, now closed, and this one is the "cold dead fingers" one. I am constantly amazed at how much I enjoy the tone of this as it seems it's resonance still continues to improve with time. The OOV was a lucky find off eBay and came with a set of Gotohs that made me a true believer - I'm almost always in perfect tune now, cause it's so easy. The OOV also rid me of my bias against satin finishes.

For two guitars that seem to be identical, they have surprisingly different tones. Contrary to popular opinion the cutaway model has a richer bass tone to it, perhaps due to being a short scale. The OO-05 has a nice glassy treble I enjoy perhaps due to it being gloss versus the OOV's satin. If my condo caught fire, it'd be tough deciding which one to rescue. Considering the vagaries of waiting on a factory custom order, I'd probably save the OOV.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Sold my Forum-III.  Found out I really didn't like Italian/Mahogany.  Beautiful instrument. Way too much clarity, I should have held out for rosewood.

Sold my D-03R-12.  Best sounding 12 I have ever owned, much better neck than my Guild, but tired of fighting to play a Dreadnought. (Sold the Guild Dread as well)

My OM-03R on the other hand.  She's a real keeper.  The first high quality 6-string I ever bought, and still my favorite 20 years later.

I've regretted every single sale of a guitar that I ever made.  :blush:

My brother gave me a fantastic Guild d25 when I had sold my guitar
To buy a computer for my daughter
I plan to return the favor as soon as my divorce is over
I will never sell that guitar
David

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 08, 2019, 09:22:45 AM
I've regretted every single sale of a guitar that I ever made.  :blush:

tru dat, however, on more than one occasion, I managed to get them back again. The old BZ C and the OMV-50 slot head pyramid bridge that is the 2004 NAMM mate to my OM-60.
both with the introduction of the TSB Jean shot.

The '57 Strat hardtail, and the 58 LP gold top with p90's, not so fortunate......
:crying:
paid $500 each for them while living and gigging in NS way back in the mid seventies.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Easy, my 1996 C-10 and my 1964 Martin D-21 Braz.
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.