Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New old guitar day!  (Read 287 times)
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »

Back in the mid-2000s, I bought a beautiful 00-50 TSB and enjoyed it for several years.  In 2011, I ill-advisedly sold it to a friend and almost immediately started regretting it.  I broached the subject of re-buying it a few times, but my friend kept insisting it was not for sale.

Fast forward to this year, and my friend is relocating to Europe and putting his guitars in storage.  I told him I would gladly babysit the 00-50.  He agreed and I took it home a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately, when I got it home, I noticed that my friend (who does not necessarily take the best care of his things) had somehow put a noticeable 1-inch crack in the side, on the lower bout.  I immediately told him about it.  He then offered to sell it to me for a decent price minus the repair costs.  Deal done! I took the guitar to the Twelfth Fret to be repaired.  I got it back yesterday and the crack is completely invisible, and the guitar sounds as good as ever.  I used to play it mostly fingerstyle, but I'm doing a lot more flat-picking these days, and it sounds great for that -- not like a dread, of course, but with a unique sonic flavour of its own.

I am very happy to have this beautiful old friend back with me.

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 06:42:47 PM »

I don't have pics, but it's the same as this one:

https://artisanguitars.com/2006-larrivee-00-50-sitka-spruce-and-mahogany-full-body-tobacco-sunburst-id-5239

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:51:13 PM »

Well done!
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »

I am a huge fan of the sunburst finish.

I have an OMV-50 slot head with full sunburst. Beautiful to look at, wonderful to play.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »

I am a huge fan of the sunburst finish.

I have an OMV-50 slot head with full sunburst. Beautiful to look at, wonderful to play.

Yep. Jean does a beautiful job on the bursts!
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 03:40:02 AM »

Very nice, now don’t be selling it again, and if the thought does occur, report here first  so we can talk you out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L-10, L-03FM.
& "others"
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »

That is a great story! Glad it finally came home to you! And that burst is nice! Congrats!  nice guitar

Treenewt
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »

Congrats on getting your guitar back home and I wave my private parts in your friends general direction for abusing it. rolleye

I'm pretty fond of the OO models, ya got me drooling!

nice guitar

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:50:04 PM »

One question for the experts: now that I'm playing more bluegrass, I'm thinking about putting mediums on this 00.  I don't see any string info on the current Larrivee website, but I've found an old post on the Acoustic Guitar Forum that quotes from the old Larrivee website that says the Traditional Series (which included this guitar back in the day) shipped with mediums.  What do you think?  Would mediums be safe for this baby?

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 12:00:55 AM »

I’ve put medium-lights on mine (12s, I think) and it was fine, but I always go back to 11s. Too much tension kinda chokes the tone a bit to my ear, but that’s just me.

I’ve read that mediums are safe, Larrivee builds them pretty solid

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »

Congrats Tycho.  As the former owner of a 00-50, I can say without hesitation that you got a great guitar.  I always used lights when I had mine but mediums would be my choice today.  I haven't used any light strings in about 6-7 years now.  

jrdavies

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 04:48:53 PM »

Here is a link to an old catalog page for the OO-50.  It confirms they are set up for mediums.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: