Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just got a Les Paul.  (Read 889 times)
maplebaby

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »

So Dale have you 

i have not.  I'm a fan of most of the Larrivee acoustics i've played.  Local shop has carried them for a good number of years, back when they all seemed to have a decorative headstock inlay, or at least they ones he ordered did.  I especially like the smaller bodied Larrivee guitars i've played.

To be completely honest, i could never consider the 'les paul' inspired Larrivee electric guitar just on aesthetics alone.  There is nothing about that guitar that i like.  The cutaway, the overall body shape, the guitar just doesn't 'speak' to me at all.

I'd expect the first response to my feelings would be, what if it sounds amazing?  Fair question, but for me if i don't like the way it looks i'm moving on.  Too many GREAT guitars out there that i love the tone and look of to even consider the LVE electric.  Honestly i can't imagine any guitar sounding better than the current Gibson guitars i'm very thankful to own.  The guitars coming out of Nashville these days are PLEK'd and the prices have gotten more competitive on some of their non-custom shop guitars. 

your friend,
dale
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »

i have not.  
To be completely honest, i could never consider the 'les paul' inspired Larrivee electric guitar just on aesthetics alone.  There is nothing about that guitar that i like.  The cutaway, the overall body shape, the guitar just doesn't 'speak' to me at all.

I'd expect the first response to my feelings would be, what if it sounds amazing?  Fair question, but for me if i don't like the way it looks i'm moving on.  Too many GREAT guitars out there that i love the tone and look of to even consider the LVE electric.  Honestly i can't imagine any guitar sounding better than the current Gibson guitars i'm very thankful to own.  The guitars coming out of Nashville these days are PLEK'd and the prices have gotten more competitive on some of their non-custom shop guitars.  

All good Dale, aesthetics whether a premier player like yourself or a novice, is many times the deciding factor coming down to even simply the name on the headstock. Your comment of "you might find that a hard claim to get nearly anyone to agree with, outside of this forum of course:)" kinda rang of the pot calling the kettle....  But very encouraging you recognize that  

Lots of possible discussion avenues on that side topic and sorry to kinda hijack as the LP's are beautiful!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »

I agree that the look of the Larrivee electric isn’t going to be everyone’s cup.  I could deal with it, but I do like the LP shape better.  Eastman is making a LP-style guitar now that is one of the coolest designs I’ve seen. 

Been playing the Epiphone LP for a few weeks now. I think a lot (maybe most?) people get these thinking they will do until they can get a “real” Les Paul.  But the more I play it, the more I don’t see the point in upgrading—especially when upgrading will mean a lot more money.  If I like the feel and basic tone, upgrading parts will be a lot cheaper and will only improve the guitar each step of the way.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 09:17:56 PM »

Its been my experience/observation that there are two kinds of guitar players 1. those who are  enamoured with the name/brand on headstock and 2. those who aren't.  Whether you are a Pro or a Novice, a good player or bad you could fall into either of the two named groups. For the most part I believe Larrivee Owners fall into the latter and they too could be a Pro or a Novice ...........

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
tlp2

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »

Funny, I've been going around this same debate for myself.
I'd love an RS-4, expensive, but would settle for an RS-2, still expensive
and can afford a Gibson Les Paul Special, yeah, the stripped down one, used for $500 on the local Craigslist right now. 
I can get an "upscale" Epiphone for even less. 

Seems like the Gibson is the better deal...   

What an unfortunate trilemma.  crying
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »

Funny, I've been going around this same debate for myself.
I'd love an RS-4, expensive, but would settle for an RS-2, still expensive
and can afford a Gibson Les Paul Special, yeah, the stripped down one, used for $500 on the local Craigslist right now. 
I can get an "upscale" Epiphone for even less. 

Seems like the Gibson is the better deal...   

What an unfortunate trilemma.  crying

And then you have the Gretsch "Les Paul" for about the same price as the Epi.  I've owned an Epiohone Les Paul and also an Epi SG.  And an Epiphone "Joe Pass" jazz box.  ...all were very nice but were made better with new pickups.  That's the one weak point in my opinion
.  But you are still way ahead money-wise if you get new pups as opposed to ponying up the $$$$ for one that says Gibson in the headstock.  I have the Gretsch LP now and love the filtertron  pickups
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 03:27:45 AM »

I got some Hipshot locking tuners (possibly a bit overkill) for around $50.  The stock “Grovers” seemed kind of flimsy.  Took it to a tech to get a bone nut installed in place of the plastic one, and he’s going to put on the new tuners.  He’s also going to make sure all the frets are level and make any other type of setup changes needed, if any.  It feels good already but I’m sure he can improve it some.  Should be a solid and very legit guitar when I get it back. 
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 01:48:29 AM »

Having once owned and toured with a late fifties Gibson Les Paul Gold top ( P90's) but was sold to feed the babies many years ago, when I saw a Larrivee RS4 gold top with p90's and a bigsby, I naturally jumped on it. Evidently one of only two made.
I have it on most electric shows I'm asked to do.
I was so impressed I went and bought an RS4 with Jason Lollar Imperials.

a completely different sounding guitar, but simply a spectacular build, and amazing guitar- I only wish i was a much better player to unlock more of the incredible overtones and sonic nuances it carries.

None of the comments i have read on this thread mention what is VERY important to me, and that is the 25.5 scale (called the "fender" scale) instead of the 24.75 inch scale (called the "Gibson" scale).

50 years of showbiz and some spectacular guitars, I really gotta say the RS4 is about as good as it gets for R&D, materials, workmanship, body weight, feel, and sound.
 Aesthetically they are also brilliant. For the record, I believe the RS4 was the brainchild of Mathiew, with Jeans blessing.
Either way, proud to own Jeans pieces (several)- as well as Matts.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 03:11:43 AM »

Funny how different we all are.  I’ve enjoyed the LP over my Strats because of the shorter scale length. 
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 03:22:21 AM »

indeed,

once having one of each on the bandstand, I always chose the Strat over the Les Paul, and long since discovered I'm a "long scale" ( 25.5) guy.
lots of folks aren't, for sure, same with acoustics, hands get used to exact spacing, on both electrics and acoustics (at least mine do), so I find it difficult to jump back and forth, thus, long scale guy...

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
tlp2

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2019, 01:32:44 AM »

Wait, length matters?  crying
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »

My Epi LP is a solid player since the Hipshot tuner upgrade (can't get pics to work on this site to save my life, or else I'd show you how it looks).  I work with a fellow who is a guitar nut all the way.  He's always buying and selling.  He has a Gibson LP Tribute model that he's going to change the PUPS on.  He told me he'd give me the Gibson PUPs once that's done, so my Epi will get yet another upgrade at some point.  Will be a very nice guitar then. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »

I was going to say that I can't see passing on a great guitar like the RS-4 because of, not that it doesn't look good, but that "the look" isn't right but then I remembered why I'd never own a Taylor. Nothing to do with their quality as guitars but I think the head stocks, bridges and pick guards are wrong looking (fugly) and, in my mind, they have an image problem. What can I say? 
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2019, 10:27:21 PM »

Aesthetics are very important for an instrument.  There are some makes of guitar I’ve never even picked up in a shop because the look was so off-putting.  I might be odd, but if the look isn’t there, I’m not sure the sound could ever make up for it.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 10:56:12 PM »

Aesthetics are very important for an instrument.  There are some makes of guitar I’ve never even picked up in a shop because the look was so off-putting.  I might be odd, but if the look isn’t there, I’m not sure the sound could ever make up for it.

For guitars anyway. I could be wrong but, to me, every orchestral instrument looks alike.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: