Can you help ID this guitar

Started by lkjjr, September 10, 2019, 01:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a bit of a detective case here.  Need to identify the guitar in the pic below.  It's obviously not a very good picture, but all I have.  The time period is in the mid 70's.  Given the blurred pick guard decorations and block style fret markers it looks to me like maybe a Gibson dove knock off, but that's just my SWAG.  I've been told that the guy playing owned one or more Yamahas , but he has passed a few years back, and no one else close to him seems to know one guitar from another.

I'm hoping to find something close to acquire as a gift for his son.  More for sentimental reasons than as a necessarily great instrument. I know I haven't given you much to go on, but any feedback, no matter how speculative is appreciated.

Thanks...
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

Lyle Guitars made Gibson knockoffs around that time

Looks like a Gibson Hummingbird or a knockoff as Tuffy indicated
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

mansfield and ibanez made good gibson copies in the 70s
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.  A bit more research/surfing sure seems to confirm the idea that this almost certainly a "Japanese interpretation" of a Hummingbird.  And it looks like a lot of different names appeared on the headstocks.

Given the bindings on the neck and the headstock in the picture, along with the "full block" style fret markers, I think it rules out the Yamaha version (see pic below).  Pictures I saw of Ibanez models are a little off too.  There was an Aria version that looks closer.

In any event, it looks like this may be a protracted search to find something that is close, still in decent condition and priced in a ballpark that makes this project "do-able."  Thanks again for letting me tap into the knowledge base, and please shoot me a PM if any of you run across one for sale....
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH