Poll
Question: Would you altered a vintage L-09 by installing a pick up?
Yes I would install myself - 1 (20%)
Yes I would have it installed by a luthier - 4 (80%)
No I d never altered a vintage guitar - 0 (0%)
No - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing pick up on a vintage L-09?  (Read 279 times)
Gerv

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »

Thank you
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 05:27:29 PM »

For me it would depend on what pick up is being installed.
I also think, if it's necessary, then it's pretty much a no brainer. 

L-10, L-03FM.
& "others"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »

Define vintage. Anyway, as long as it's unobtrusive and doesn't alter or damage the guitar like a K&K, I see no problem. If you're capable of doing it, DIY. If not, find a good tech.    
Gerv

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »

It s a larrivee L-09 built in 1995 with a bearclaw sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides. There is not even a strap pin on it. And yes I would go for k&k or an l.r baggs.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 02:24:06 AM »

My vote has it...get a real good pro to do the job.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 03:23:05 AM »

It s a larrivee L-09 built in 1995 with a bearclaw sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides. There is not even a strap pin on it. And yes I would go for k&k or an l.r baggs.

I don't know but if, for instance, the reason it has no strap pin is because you're extremely reluctant to alter its original state in any way, maybe you should get a second guitar that you can do both to? Me? I'd do what I needed to have the guitar do what I needed it to do.     
Gerv

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »

I just purchased the guitar and it s my first guitar that I could call an high end guitar and I was wondering if it is kinda of a crime to alter those kind of guitar.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »

I just purchased the guitar and it s my first guitar that I could call an high end guitar and I was wondering if it is kinda of a crime to alter those kind of guitar.

Ah! No, it's your guitar. Do what you need to do. And congrats on the new guitar. An L-09 is very sweet. 
Gerv

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »

Thank you! I ll have a luthier install me a k&k pure mini
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »

Good Choice.  Our local shop only charges $40 for an install.  That's worth it for me to have someone else do it.  (paranoid about dripping superglue on my finish)

I just had a JJB 330 installed in my Larrivee.  With K&Ks price increases, it's hard to justify the name brand premium over the JJB.

Ggsanders

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »

I didn't quite know how to vote on this, as I find myself facing this dilema and I have mixed feelings.  For the past year I've been playing at a weeky open mike/jam, and most plug in when it's their turn to lead a song, while everyone else plays along acoustically(except for the bass).  That way the lead player/instrument stands out from the other 6-10 playing along with them.

I play with my '76 L-11, and I am having trouble dealing with having the end pin drilled out in order to have a K&K or other pick-up installed.  I've toyed with the idea of a sound hole pick-up that I could use temporarily, just for the jam,  but the sound hole on these early L's only measure 3 7/16 inches, too small for any pick-up of this type to fit that I've been able to find.

I've also toyed with the idea of just picking up a used beater with factory installed electronics, so as not to "scar" the guitar that's been my old friend for over 40 years.  But, I'm afraid I've been spoiled all these years, and won't be satisfied with how it sounds/plays.

What say you?

Gary
'76 L-11
'10 LSV-11
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »

I didn't quite know how to vote on this, as I find myself facing this dilema and I have mixed feelings.  For the past year I've been playing at a weeky open mike/jam, and most plug in when it's their turn to lead a song, while everyone else plays along acoustically(except for the base).  That way the lead player/instrument stands out from the other 6-10 playing along with them.

I play with my '76 L-11, and I am having trouble dealing with having the end pin drilled out in order to have a K&K or other pick-up installed.  I've toyed with the idea of a sound hole pick-up that I could use temporarily, just for the jam,  but the sound hole on these early L's only measure 3 7/16 inches, too small for any pick-up of this type to fit that I've been able to find.

I've also toyed with the idea of just picking up a used beater with factory installed electronics, so as not to "scar" the guitar that's been my old friend for over 40 years.  But, I'm afraid I've been spoiled all these years, and won't be satisfied with how it sounds/plays.

What say you?

I no longer use my '75 for anything but playing in the studio, at home or with friends. I think your idea of getting a second guitar for the purpose you mention is the best idea considering how you feel about your guitar.
Ggsanders

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 07:38:24 PM »

Thank you, I appreciate your advice.  Time to leave my old friend close to home.

Gary
'76 L-11
'10 LSV-11
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »

Thank you, I appreciate your advice.  Time to leave my old friend close to home.

A second Larrivée (D-05 with electronics) was the direction I took. Careful though. That led to a third and fourth and fifth ....   
Ggsanders

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »

. Time to start looking?

Gary
'76 L-11
'10 LSV-11
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 11:36:13 PM »

That would be my choice. Or was my choice.  I actually have 2 pickups in my 1980 L. Stereo out of the jack. No effect on looks at all. Great versatile guitar to gig with.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 01:57:52 AM »

Whether to put a pickup in your guitar depends on your attitude and attachment toward the instrument. If you have an older Larrivee that you purchased new and have had for many, many years, you might not want to put a pup in it.

On the other hand - as in my case - I bought a '79 L-19 a couple years ago that needed some work, and is never going to be considered a "vintage" guitar in the sense of being worth big bucks. Plus, I had it convereted to left-handed. Don't get me wrong - it's an AWESOME old Larrivee! But it's not ever going to be a pre-war Martin, etc. So at some point in the future, it will also get a pickup installed (just haven't gotten it done on this one yet; I'm a ways away from luthiers and even though it will get a K&K, I don't want to do it myself).

How you value the instrument will tell you what to do with it. 

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: