The herd just keeps changing - another incoming Martin

Started by Mikeymac, August 24, 2019, 05:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This time I found a 12 string, the J-12-16GT.

What that all means in Martin-speak is a Jumbo body, 12 string, 16 series with a Gloss Top. Not sure what year it was made, but it's a(nother) discontinued model.

Got it for a very reasonable price (assuming everything is okay when it arrives, pics look good, and it's a one-owner). If all is well my Takamine 12-string will be sold, and I'll recoup most of what I spent on this.

Another Martin Jumbo in the house - that makes 3. This one I wasn't looking for, it just popped up on Reverb. I'd still really like to have a Jumbo with Maple back and sides...but that will have to wait awhile.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have never played a 12 string. Is it hard for the fretting hand to get used to? I would guess that there would be a more lush and full sound.
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Quote from: Yippie on August 24, 2019, 05:26:30 PM
I have never played a 12 string. Is it hard for the fretting hand to get used to? I would guess that there would be a more lush and full sound.

A 12 does take some getting used to ... a good set-up is vital to making sure you don't have to struggle any more than necessary. But if it's set up well, it's just a matter of practice.

Also, I don't expect to be able to fly around on a 12 string in the same way as on a 6 - and besides, it probably wouldn't sound all that great. A 12 can be a finger-picking machine in the right hands (Leo Kottke and some others); and finger picks and a thumb pick can really help with accuracy on a 12. But I find I use it mostly for strumming, cross picking and some picked runs.

Find a few songs that are driven by a 12 string and you'll begin to see where it shines: some Gordon Lightfoot tunes, 60's folk stuff ("Walk Right In..."); dare I say "Hotel California," and lots of Byrds stuff ("Turn, Turn, Turn" and "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man"). Lots of others as well - a favorite of mine (which requires double drop D tuning) Is Dan Fogelberg's "Longer Than."
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Now that you mention it I remember a live version of wish you were here that had a 12 string that sounded great. Thanks for the info I will take a look at the other songs and see if there are any 12 stings in the local shops to see how they feel. 
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Roger McGuinn is the 12 guru for decades,
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...