Larrivee L-07 DV-05E L-05E

Started by rdropik, August 12, 2019, 03:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok..  I own a number of guitars and mostly play a Martin SPOOO-16 (w/L.R.Baggs pickup) when I'm gigging.  It's weathered and worn but still plays very well. On occasion when playing out, I use one my 2 Larrivee acoustic/electric guitars (D-05CE,  L-05E) and each time I do, I remember how much a really like them.  At home I often bring out my 3rd Larrivee (L-07) and I marvel at the sound and how well it plays.   My struggle is that I need to thin my herd a bit to raise some cach and am considering letting go one of my Larrivees.   Any suggestions on which one I should sell and what I might expect to get for it (all are in great shape).  I'm leaning toward the 1983 L-07 because it's all original (no pickup) and I wonder if would command higher "collector" value due to the fact that there were so few made?

Sadly, Larrivees - whether older or new - don't get the respect they deserve in the guitar world today. Or, I should say, they don't get the respect that results is high dollar prices for used instruments.

Your L-07 looks like a wonderful guitar (I have a '79 L-19, so I that of which you speak!). Sadly, it's probably not going to bring more than $1,400 - 1,500 today ... less if it needs a neck reset (mine needed some work when I bought it). I paid $1,000 for mine (it was on consignment for a long time at a shop in Minneapolis), because the store was able to help the seller realize it needed some work.

So an older L won't necessarily bring more than a newer L. I'd say base your decision to sell on which one you think you can most easily live without. They'll all probably bring around the same $$ when sold (depending on condition, etc.).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:+1:  agree with Mike on all points
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Thank you both for your input!  Greatly appreciated.   I was hoping that the L-07 might be more desirable and valuable given it heritage. I understand it preceded the L-09 and has similar build and material quality.  You know, its easy to think about selling a guitar but actually doing it is kind of tough.  If I didn't need the money or the space, I probably would be buying more.  I know, this is not a unique perspective.  I will probably sell the L-07 if it isn't expected to go up more in value than the others.  I do like sound of the mahogony bodies  (my L-05 and DV-05E) and they already have the electronics on them.

Something else I learned about the L-07. Mine doesn't have a truss rod. I really like low action and wanted to adjust the neck slightly.  When I read that is doesn't have a trust rod, I sent it in to Larrivee to have it evaluated. Matthew and Jean Larrivee himself gave it a good evaluaton and said it is in great shape and right in the manufacturers tolerance. They suggested that I have them shave the bridge slightly and do a "rail fretboard" and refret, which I did.  It plays and sounds really great.

Good thing I haven't seen a L-19 for sale around these parts.  I think they are beautiful and unique guitars. 

Believe it has a truss rod just not an adjustable truss rod
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: rdropik on August 14, 2019, 12:11:10 PM

Something else I learned about the L-07. Mine doesn't have a truss rod. I really like low action and wanted to adjust the neck slightly.  When I read that is doesn't have a trust rod, I sent it in to Larrivee to have it evaluated. Matthew and Jean Larrivee himself gave it a good evaluaton and said it is in great shape and right in the manufacturers tolerance. They suggested that I have them shave the bridge slightly and do a "rail fretboard" and refret, which I did.  It plays and sounds really great.

If you can document that Larrivee did this work on it for you, that will help you get a better price for it. Otherwise, anyone in the know about older Larrivees (that they don't have an adjustable truss rod [Larrivee started using those around '85-'86, like Martin]) would be more wary about purchasing it. With the work done already, I'd say it should bring a couple hundred more for you - again - TOP dollar would probably be around $1,500, but more realistically, between $1,200 - 1,400. Sad you can't get more than that, because they're certainly wonderful instruments.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a non-adjustable truss rod.  Thanks for the heads up.   Larrivee didn't say anything about that. Yes, I have the email from Larrivee and I probably have the invoice here somewhere for documentation. In addition to the inspection and minor work done, it still has a pretty high saddle that has lots of room to bring down if someone wanted.  I think i would be ok getting $1200 for my L-07.  Have you had any luck buying or selling a Larrivee through the marketplace section of this forum?  It sounds a little scary.  I would consider it but would have to figure out how to do it safely so neither party had issues.  I was thinking about putting an ad on Craigslist in Minneapolis.  I'm actually located in central Minnesota and the market is pretty small.

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 15, 2019, 09:31:56 AM
Otherwise, anyone in the know about older Larrivees (that they don't have an adjustable truss rod [Larrivee started using those around '85-'86, like Martin]
I think John Jr may have strongly speculated they started sometime in 1984  FWIW

I was thinking about putting an ad on Craigslist in Minneapolis.

Ouch, my experience with Craigslist wasn't a good one in trying to sell a few Larrivee's. Sadly, half the responses will be from annoying non-serious tirekickers far more interested in beating down your price (so they can perhaps re-sell it) than actually buying the guitar. At least that was my experience.

But it doesn't hurt to try, just be forewarned. Additionally, don't offer to meet them anywhere to show the guitar, keep it at home. Make it clear from the very start that it's a cash deal and the price is extremely firm. The moment they ignore that with a lowball offer is when you ghost them and not respond. 

However, you could get lucky and find a serious Larrivee collector who will appreciate what you're offering so it's perfectly fair to vet the potential buyer before showing the guitar as to what they've owned and why they're interested in yours before offering to show the guitar. Apologies if you already know all this.

Having a few excess Larrivee's myself, I've read on other guitar forums that Chicago Music Exchange might be a good way to go to sell them off and I may go that route. eBay is an option as well, but it may take months for a buyer to pull the trigger. Think I read CME takes 15% to put it on their Reverb storefront, which I perceive as being more focused than eBay for guitars in general.  https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pages/sell-your-gear.

Of course you could offer it yourself on Reverb, for less cost but more effort.

Best of luck with it!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: rdropik on August 15, 2019, 04:09:37 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as a non-adjustable truss rod.  Thanks for the heads up.   Larrivee didn't say anything about that. Yes, I have the email from Larrivee and I probably have the invoice here somewhere for documentation. In addition to the inspection and minor work done, it still has a pretty high saddle that has lots of room to bring down if someone wanted.  I think i would be ok getting $1200 for my L-07.  Have you had any luck buying or selling a Larrivee through the marketplace section of this forum?  It sounds a little scary.  I would consider it but would have to figure out how to do it safely so neither party had issues.  I was thinking about putting an ad on Craigslist in Minneapolis.  I'm actually located in central Minnesota and the market is pretty small.

I live in southwest MN - so if I were right-handed, I would probably buy it from you for that price (I actually bought my L-19 in St. Paul a couple years ago at the old Podium, which is closed now). I'm even tempted to consider it for my wife or son...

I don't find craigslist to be a good place to sell a good quality guitar (and I've both bought AND sold cars on craigslist - so I'm not averse to it for some stuff!); it seems to attract a lot of junk instruments and people trying to lowball you.

If you're thinking about selling it through the forum here, one of the best indicators of dealing with a reliable buyer is how many posts do they have on this forum. More posts would USUALLY give me more comfort in the sale. Of course, I've hung out here for about 10 years, so I feel like I "know" some of the folks here.

If you don't mind shipping, I've had pretty good luck selling on Reverb.com. It's for musicians, and there are some safeguards there (payment through Paypal or Reverb bucks, etc.). Hope this helps and good luck. 

Thanks to you to both on the craigslist advice. I'll also check out reverb and CME while I'm at it.  I've purchased and sold a couple of guitars on Craigslist over the years and haven't really had any issues.  A few times I found the guitar not in the condition they represented. Once I went to buy an old Yamaha to take on the pontoon and for campfires.  It had a bad warped neck and I was afraid to make any adjustments.  They didn't want it and offered it to me for free. I did pay them a small amount for it and took it home, adjusted the rod little by little and now its sounds and plays pretty good.  I have too many guitars and I'm thinking about paying it forward and donating the Yamaha to a local school. 

Quote from: rdropik on August 19, 2019, 12:01:25 PM
  I have too many guitars and I'm thinking about paying it forward and donating the Yamaha to a local school. 
:thumb