WHAT?! Larrivee Tommy Emmanuel Signature Guitar?! YES!

Started by Mikeymac, August 01, 2019, 12:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Queequeg on September 29, 2019, 07:12:57 PM
What do you like to listen to, Bowie?
Quite a bit of variety. Anything from classical to hip hop, folk, metal, classic rock, soul, bluegrass, crooners, Japanese rock and traditional, etc. My music collection looks like you just walked through the aisles of a music store and grabbed handfuls randomly.
Tommy is a brilliant player, hearing him inspires me to tighten up my chops, I'm just not into what he does as far as listening goes, unless it's some of his less indulgent stuff. That's great.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on September 30, 2019, 12:36:32 AM
Quite a bit of variety. Anything from classical to hip hop, folk, metal, classic rock, soul, bluegrass, crooners, Japanese rock and traditional, etc. My music collection looks like you just walked through the aisles of a music store and grabbed handfuls randomly.
Tommy is a brilliant player, hearing him inspires me to tighten up my chops, I'm just not into what he does as far as listening goes, unless it's some of his less indulgent stuff. That's great.
:thumb

Quote from: willynelson13 on October 02, 2019, 04:18:44 PM

In progress from Larrivee official Instagram!
Larrivee Instagram

Thanks for posting that - that finally answers my question - it IS going to be a C body, NOT an OM with a Florentine cutaway. The wood on those looks very nice!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Anybody know if the nut width is 1 3/4"?   I'd sure like one of these.

Jean, John Jr., Matthew...

It will be November 1 this week! Any more word on these Tommy Emmanuel guitars? John Jr., can you show us a recent picture of a completed one? (Sorry, I'm not on Instagram, so if you've posted there, I haven't seen it.)

If they're out there, which dealers have them?

Quote from: B0WIE on September 28, 2019, 09:18:59 PM
Though I admittedly don't listen to Tommy's music, I think these guitars are a great idea. 12 fret nation!  :bgrin: :nana_guitar

I'm lost on this philosophy .
Yes I "get" the whole twelfth fret bridge placement/soundboard/top argument. (for what it's worth).
And yes, I've had a few such builds.
Frankly, for my work, as a player, I really need easy access to to full octave chording/solo-ing with-out the hindrance.
even with cut away access, playing in the third, fourth and fifth positions is pretty much impossible with a 12 fret neck join.

what may be "sacrificed" in 'tone" from a 14 fret, is more than made up in the ability to get to as many frets as possible when needed.

if there is, in fact a better, warmer, open sound with a 12 fret neck join, I'm all for it- ( if there is such a thing).
not sure, for me, and maybe others, the trade off is worth it.

Is this tonality anything similar to the great string den]bate?
Or the brazilian vs EIR debate?
or bubinga over mahogany debate?
or silver oak over maple debate?

On the gig, in the studio, at a jam with others, blindfolds on, is there a consensus as to the winner of "best tone ever"?
sometimes, it's just all lost on me.

bottom line? 14 fret reach brings better players to the table- at least I play better with the extra "reach"
and frankly, I'm too busy finding my way up there to be bothered with what ever that 12 fret extra tone is about.

just an old guy jumping off a bandwagon. late night gig, and I'll probably delete my BS in the morning.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on October 28, 2019, 10:41:14 PM

Yes I "get" the whole twelfth fret bridge placement/soundboard/top argument. (for what it's worth).
Frankly, for my work, as a player, I really need easy access to to full octave chording/solo-ing with-out the hindrance.
even with cut away access, playing in the third, fourth and fifth positions is pretty much impossible with a 12 fret neck join.

what may be "sacrificed" in 'tone" from a 14 fret, is more than made up in the ability to get to as many frets as possible when needed.

if there is, in fact a better, warmer, open sound with a 12 fret neck join, I'm all for it- ( if there is such a thing).

On the gig, in the studio, at a jam with others, blindfolds on, is there a consensus as to the winner of "best tone ever"?

bottom line? 14 fret reach brings better players to the table- at least I play better with the extra "reach"
and frankly, I'm too busy finding my way up there to be bothered with what ever that 12 fret extra tone is about.

just an old guy jumping off a bandwagon. late night gig, and I'll probably delete my BS in the morning.

Kevin, I'm with you on this.  :thumb
I know the first position is referred to as the 'cash register' but I use the whole fretboard.
And while I'm not sure it's like the string thing, in that placing the bridge in the sweet spot of the lower bout makes a lot of sense to me and I do love the sound, I know many players, singers, that is, never get beyond the 5th fret. If that's how I played, yeah, I'd go for a 12-fret.

:cop:
Looks like the first Tommy's have shipped. For sale on R*v*rb!

Tommy Model!

OM-01

lovely guitars so they are....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

And, the official specs on Larrivee's website:

https://www.larrivee.com/products/c-03r-te

I wonder how long to get a lefty...?

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

Quote from: J M Larrivée on November 01, 2019, 07:30:26 PM
First lefty out is going to Woodstock School of Music https://www.larrivee.com/dealers?keywords=Woodstock%20School

Thanks for the heads up, John! That's not too far from me (in SW Minnesota).

:thumbsup

Quote from: headsup on October 28, 2019, 10:41:14 PM

Well, of course, the disadvantage of a 12 fret neck is a certain amount of inaccessibility. I have a OOO-50 and it is a freaking cannon, however. I wouldn't choose it for playing lead but on the songs I would use it for, it is not a problem. At the end of the proverbial day, if I was really concerned, I'd pull out my strat!  :beer