Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newer P03 vs Old custom P?  (Read 84 times)
Braxton

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »

Hi guys,
I am considering to buy an used Larrivee parlor and I found 2 interesting ones in the main online marketplace we have here in Italy.

Old Canadian one

Mint 2014 USA one

The first one is older, still produced in Vancouver, while the second one is a 2014 produced in USA, in mint condition.
I am more inclined to the second, but I'd like your opinion about the quality of newer ones compared to the "historical" ones still produced in Canada.

Of course the price is quite different, but the owner of the newest one is open to some bargaining...

Martin OM-21 Special (2006)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Larrivée JV-05 (2002)

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »

If I were looking at those two particular instruments, I'd go for the newer one as well - negotiate the best price you can (Larrivee's aren't selling for top dollar, so you should be able to get a good deal).

In terms of tone, they should be fairly similar (even though the older one looks like rosewood back and sides). I would just personally prefer the more upscale and "finished" look of the newer one with binding around the body. But if you really thought you would prefer the tone of the rosewood one, it's cheaper, so it would be the way to go.

My two cents worth...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 10:35:04 PM »

Owning a early (2nd run O-01) and a newer (2014?  I forget the exact year), between those two, I would lean towards the early one.  There is magic in those early ones to my ear.

Ed
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 01:35:18 AM »

Tough call.

Prefer the Rosewood on the -01.
Prefer the Binding on the -03

Much prefer the clean clear pickguard on the older one.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »

I am more inclined to the second, but I'd like your opinion about the quality of newer ones compared to the "historical" ones still produced in Canada.

What's driving your inclination 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: