Damn fingerpicks!

Started by dberch, July 29, 2019, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love the way they sound, but they drive me nuts!! Can't get them tight enough, and always coming loose.

Do you use fingerpicks? How do you keep them on??

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

SUPERGLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave

I don't use finger picks for same reason,they never stay in place.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hey David. I use these and like them and they stay on my fingers. A little pricey but I've had the one set I use for 3 years no problems. I did NOT care for their thumb pick but they may have made change to it. Small shop and the friendly lady there (carrying on her late fathers idea and business) will be glad to discuss. The have different kinds. I like the ones with regular curve on tip as compared to the flat ones.  https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on July 29, 2019, 03:25:41 PMSmall shop and the friendly lady there (carrying on her late fathers idea and business) will be glad to discuss. The have different kinds. I like the ones with regular curve on tip as compared to the flat ones.  https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/
Thanks Matt for the recommendation I think I will order some   :thumb
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have acrylics on 3 fingers of my picking hand. Been doing this for over 6 years now.
I get them filled and trimmed about every 3 weeks.
I keep them short and no clear finish on them. Most people can't tell there's anything there at all.

Quote from: Queequeg on July 30, 2019, 01:58:16 AM
I have acrylics on 3 fingers of my picking hand. Been doing this for over 6 years now.
I get them filled and trimmed about every 3 weeks.
I keep them short and no clear finish on them. Most people can't tell there's anything there at all.

I've been playing with my nails all along, but lately, I've been having trouble. They are not as strong or durable as they to be. They break or tear more than when I was younger. Maybe it's time to consider acrylics.

Is there a name for the kind of acrylic nails you're using?

Quote from: ST on July 30, 2019, 11:25:26 AM
I've been playing with my nails all along, but lately, I've been having trouble. They are not as strong or durable as they to be. They break or tear more than when I was younger. Maybe it's time to consider acrylics.

Is there a name for the kind of acrylic nails you're using?
There probably is but I don't know what that would e.
It's a liquid & powder they mix and brush on. Dries fast. No UV lights.
NOT GEL.
Available at all the Vietnamese nail shops.
I've been doing this for a long time and never had any problems at all.

James Taylor is a DIY kinda guy when it comes to artificial nails. 
Full instructions here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqISqpMRo8

(ya gotta admit, he plays fairly well too....)   :bgrin:

Quote from: tlp2 on July 31, 2019, 02:04:48 PM
James Taylor is a DIY kinda guy when it comes to artificial nails. 
Full instructions here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqISqpMRo8

(ya gotta admit, he plays fairly well too....)   :bgrin:

He's very under-rated.
Dude can play guitar.

and sing

and compose

Thanks to flatlander  for the Perfect Touch Picks reference.  I got a "Cyborg" thumb pick and brass index pick on Saturday and within half a day I ordered more!  Now the strings know who's boss!  These things fit beautifully, are customizable in numerous ways, and can be worn loosely for lengthy playing without discomfort.  I had tried and was somewhat happy with Fred Kelly thumb and index picks, but these Perfect Touch picks are on a whole 'nother level!  Super nice lady and money back guarantee.

Alaska Piks might interest you also if you are exploring diffrent options. Alaska Piks
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Quote from: DrD on August 05, 2019, 10:42:17 AM
Thanks to flatlander  for the Perfect Touch Picks reference.  I got a "Cyborg" thumb pick and brass index pick on Saturday and within half a day I ordered more!  Now the strings know who's boss!  These things fit beautifully, are customizable in numerous ways, and can be worn loosely for lengthy playing without discomfort.  I had tried and was somewhat happy with Fred Kelly thumb and index picks, but these Perfect Touch picks are on a whole 'nother level!  Super nice lady and money back guarantee.
Yea. A dobro play turned me on to them and they work great for me.  thanks
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on July 29, 2019, 03:25:41 PM
Hey David. I use these and like them and they stay on my fingers. A little pricey but I've had the one set I use for 3 years no problems. I did NOT care for their thumb pick but they may have made change to it. Small shop and the friendly lady there (carrying on her late fathers idea and business) will be glad to discuss. The have different kinds. I like the ones with regular curve on tip as compared to the flat ones.  https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/

Hey Flatlander, I just saw this. Looks VERY interesting!  I think I might try a pair. 

Thanks!
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I did consider aLaska picks, but now that I've tried perfect touch picks, I'm home.  I read the article ST posted...I'm too creeped out by long fingernails (my own), but still can't imagine a thumb nail competing with the Perfect Touch Cyborg for thumpity-thump and crunch power, if you know what I mean.  I bought the Riffster thumbpick, too...like them both a lot, not totally sure of the differences.  I also bought the brass round fingerpicks...down the road may harden up to nickel silver.  Plain fingers sound so wimpy now!!!

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on July 29, 2019, 02:22:55 PM
SUPERGLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave

I don't use finger picks for same reason, they never stay in place.

I've been trying to play fingerstyle for sometime.

I've tried different brands of fingerpicks with no success. My natural fingernails are like paper.

In the last few months, I've been trying to learn flatpicking, and eventually crosspicking to get around this problem.

I'm not a finger picker but I do play a few songs finger picking. I finger pick bare fingers, more comfortable.

Fingerpick are not comfortable, but if you can wear a thumb pick, that is usually the most important one. For something like a plastic Dunlop thumb pick, soak it in hot water, then form it to your thumb. You should be able to get it the right size without being uncomfortable with that method. If you must use fingerpick, I second the Alaska Pock suggestion.