considering DIY armrest on L-03

Started by Gottaplay, July 18, 2019, 06:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My right arm starts arching after about an hour of playing despite trying different seated playing positions. Been playing off and on for 40 years and this is a new development probably thanks to sports, work, horse wrecks and middle age. Gonna chew through all the related posts here and on the AG forum. Since I`m a carpenter all my reading is pointing towards marking one out of hardwood.

Anyone out there have one on an L-03?

Guess I could just take the belt sander to the binding...kidding.
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity

Quote from: Gottaplay on July 18, 2019, 06:49:19 AM

Anyone out there have one on an L-03?

Guess I could just take the belt sander to the binding...kidding.

No silly, A router with a roundover bit ! :humour:
I've considered making one myself, they show templates for the various sizes on the website ( just in case you didn't know)
Let us know how you make out.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

There are some cheap Washburn's out there with both a little bit of a belly cut in the waist as well as a relief on the front edge of the top of the lower bout. I found out me on Craigslist a couple years ago and bought it for one of my sons. REALLY comfortable to play. If it's just comfort you're looking for, you can find these for under $100 with a half decent tuner/pickup system in them. Here's there current Comfort GA style guitar where it has even more of an armrest built in. https://www.washburn.com/product/g25sce/
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Hi Guys,

Still in the planning stage on that armrest. Picked up some VHB 3M tape and have a decent piece of 1/2 finish planed hardwood stock. That template page on the Pearse site will likely be a starting point for design. Given the ebony bridge I`m thinking of a black dye finish and tung oil top coat. Just about to restring after completeing my first every DIY fret leveling and bridge lowering. Fun but not fun if you know what I mean. Looks good hope it doesn't buzz. More on this in another post.

Thanks for the info on that Washburn and the templates. Truth is I love my L-03. Playing it really turns my crank and it's all I need and can afford. Down the road I`ll be keeping my eye out for a comparably sounding upgrade or not but that modern relief design appears to be an effective evolutionary improvement.

Any one have any photos showing Pearse style armrest on their L's or Larrivees in general?
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity

Quote from: Gottaplay on August 10, 2019, 06:35:01 AM

Any one have any photos showing Pearse style armrest on their L's or Larrivees in general?

Well, it's a smaller guitar, but here's mine. I couldn't get used to the look of it so I took it off. Assuming I can find it, it's yours if you want it!

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Wow that 00V-03 is a beauty wish I could hear one. Oh and that's a very considerate offer thanks. How'd you like playing with the armrest..much of a difference. What was the impetus in getting one?
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity

The OOV-03 was a lucky eBay find and came with the armrest plus the nice bonus of Gotoh 510s which he didn't even mention in his listing. I'm a fanatical convert now to those tuners.

Maybe I never really gave the armrest a chance simply cause I didn't care for the odd eyebrow look the guitar was now sprouting. The small body is more than comfortable without it. A used armrest is too much trouble to eBay as I doubt I'd get much for it so, free to good home. . .
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Great find. I`m up in New Brunswick and will gratefully try out that armrest. I`d PM you but your email adress isn't posted on the members private profile although mine is.

Checked out several of your soundclound records nice playing. Any of them feature the 00V-03?
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity

Quote from: Gottaplay on August 13, 2019, 05:26:51 AM
Great find. I`m up in New Brunswick and will gratefully try out that armrest. I`d PM you but your email adress isn't posted on the members private profile although mine is.

Checked out several of your soundclound records nice playing. Any of them feature the 00V-03?

This is embarrassing,  :whistling: I'm such an idiot at times, but sorry the armrest didn't make it past the last session of de-cluttering a few months ago. <sigh> If it turns up I'll check back, but probably gone for good. Apologies.

Thanks for listening! No, don't have any OOV clips online.  It's likely to contrast quite a bit with an L body sound with a lot less "boom" and a more crisp tone.

J

I`m actually relieved that your armrest is now off the table, Since most of the components are here I may as well give it a go. Besides I would probably be close to 20 Canadian pesos to get it here. Your photo helped convince me that my first impression of going with Ebony colouring works for me.

Have you played a Gibson L-00 , I wonder how yours would compare? That's one of my favourite 12 fretters along with the Boucher Heritage Goose. Oh but to dream.
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity

Quote from: Gottaplay on August 13, 2019, 05:08:21 PM
I`m actually relieved that your armrest is now off the table, Since most of the components are here I may as well give it a go. Besides I would probably be close to 20 Canadian pesos to get it here. Your photo helped convince me that my first impression of going with Ebony colouring works for me.

Have you played a Gibson L-00 , I wonder how yours would compare? That's one of my favourite 12 fretters along with the Boucher Heritage Goose. Oh but to dream.

All's well that end's well. I got some old vintage width Strat bridges I don't need if that'll float your boat instead. <grin> The ebony did contrast nicely with the wood top and koa binding, so it should be a worthy project.

6,7 years ago before Guitar Center locked up all the good ones, I actually had a chance to play an L-OO and it was ok. This was around the time the Forum IV landed in my hands so I liked the 12 fret version much more and amazingly GC even managed to have a rare Keb Mo Signature L-OO that I really liked. Boy they had a great used premium guitar room back then.  The Keb Mo had a 1 13/16" width neck that gives me pause but I have to confess to searching eBay and Reverb for one since I recently got his newest album.

Never heard of the Boucher's so googled it. Man, beautiful guitars right in my wheelhouse, but the OOO is too big, the O too small and no cutaway. Yikes 5K! I'm simply not worthy of that while I have two LS's to find a new home for. . .

If you ever get a chance, there's a Gretch model that's discontinued that is very similar to the L-OO specs. https://reverb.com/item/26589609-gretsch-g9531-style-3-double-0-grand-concert-acoustic-guitar-with-mahogany-back-sides-with-solid-spruce-top-19-frets-soft-v-neck-rosewood-finge. China made and laminate, but wallet friendly and has a similar tone to my OO's. This is the guitar I'd get while waiting for Larrivee to make my replacement custom order OOV if the condo ever caught fire. . .

Yup another example of a small bodied inexpensive design with serious mojo. That is one sharp looking guitar. If I`m in the market for that sort of thing I`d likely hunt one down....very sweet. A local music store manager up in Moncton showed me a $300 Yamaha a while back...same deal I could not believe the balance and projection. Put some money or effort into dialing in the set up and voila Bob's yer uncle. Cool thanks again.
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity