GHS Americana Light Strings

Started by Kohtzy, July 25, 2019, 09:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I put a set of GHS Americana Lights on my D-40r today and was shocked by how good they sound. I tried a set of GHS Pbs a few months ago, but found the overtones to be overwhelming. I have really liked the John Pearse 600L strings, and have been using them for a while, but as a hobbiest, it is hard to justify buying new strings every three weeks for this guitar and my D-03. I've heard good things about the longevity of the Americanas, so fingers crossed. For those of you out there looking for strings, in my opinion, the Americanas sound very similar to the John Pearse 600Ls. I'll try to give an update in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my humble opinion, it's easy to justify new strings, whenever. Good quality sound, to your liking, is all the justification needed.   :thumb :guitar
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

🙂👍

Quote from: Kohtzy on July 25, 2019, 09:52:58 PM
I put a set of GHS Americana Lights on my D-40r today and was shocked by how good they sound. I tried a set of GHS Pbs a few months ago, but found the overtones to be overwhelming. I have really liked the John Pearse 600L strings, and have been using them for a while, but as a hobbiest, it is hard to justify buying new strings every three weeks for this guitar and my D-03. I've heard good things about the longevity of the Americanas, so fingers crossed. For those of you out there looking for strings, in my opinion, the Americanas sound very similar to the John Pearse 600Ls. I'll try to give an update in a few weeks.

A timely post. Just this morning I was shopping for a set of strings for my 000-40R. I am new guitar player - since March. Guitar came with 13-54 Elixers which were  wonderful sounding, but just too much for clumsy, virgin fingers. So I tried 11 Polywebs which killed the lovely resonance of the box. So, on recommendations here, I bought a set of JP 600L's and greatly enjoy them. Just yesterday, my teacher said they needed to be changed just by looking at them - must be the oxidation. They had been on for about five months, and I think they still sound fine, but will replace them. So I am curious what prompts you to changes yours out after three weeks. And, to the broader forum, which is more typical - my experience or that of the OP. I guess what interests me is the variety of experiences people have with the longevity of strings. If they are relatively uniform, what prompts some to change them in three weeks, and others in three months. Naturally, the wear on them is largely dictated by use, not by the span of time. Empirically, some folks might kill strings sooner than other because of the way they play, or sweat. But, ultimately, is it mostly a subjective thing. A "feeling" that the time is nigh?
Cheers,
David