Snark. The BIC Lighter of Tuners.

Started by ducktrapper, July 09, 2019, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

they were cheap crap tuners when they hit the market, why would they be any different?

My aging ears are better than those things... and proven many times....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on February 04, 2020, 06:02:00 PM
they were cheap crap tuners when they hit the market, why would they be any different?

My aging ears are better than those things... and proven many times....

I first saw clip on head stock tuners at the Winnipeg Folk Festival about 15 years ago. Everyone seem to have them on their guitars. I thought, "Great idea!" The worst part of tuning isn't when you're sitting at home alone. It's when you're in a room or on a stage with five or ten other guitar players all trying to tune while the drummer keeps hitting that damned cymbal and the singer keeps chirping TEST   ONE-TWO   ONE-TWO. The clip on tuner obviated all that. Oddly, however, a lot of people still don't know how to use one correctly. I watch them hitting the string over and over, wondering why the darn tuner won't cooperate. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 04, 2020, 06:18:09 PMThe clip on tuner obviated all that. Oddly, however, a lot of people still don't know how to use one correctly. I watch them hitting the string over and over, wondering why the darn tuner won't cooperate. 
Soon enoight they'll be built knto the next release of 62:1 machine heads  :guitar

Ye olde 13v Bell dial tone was A440 - back when I was tuning five to ten guitars a day that tone would resonate in my considerably more responsive brain and even without a fork I'd be within a few cents of gold every time.

Now I don't use a land line much, and the digital phone systems present any number of alternatives to A440. In the fall I bought a kmise guitalele which came with a tiny clip on tuner; for the office it works a treat. I suspect it's only a matter of time before it's cheaper to go the the "dollar store" and buy a new tuner than it is to replace the batteries in the old one.