Snark. The BIC Lighter of Tuners.

Started by ducktrapper, July 09, 2019, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My first Snark, I tried to turn the head as I would with an Intellitouch and ... snap! I didn't do it hard either. The second one I had, just stopped working and when I changed the battery, it was still dead. I guess when they break or stop working, you just treat them like BIC lighters. They are cheap. My Intellitouch is 15 years old and still works great!

I've pretty much stopped using any clip on tuners. The pitchlab tuner in my phone is much better when I'm at home and when I'm out I'm always plugged into my Zoom G5 which has a decent tuner built in. Same with my electrics and bass except I have a Zoom B3 for my basses.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Snarks are a disappointment.
Yeah, they're slow, they break, oh- and they're inaccurate.
I trust and use the Peterson strobe app on my phone.

Yeah this is my last one. I find with a little tweaking they're accurate enough but too undependable. I have a Boss tuner in my electric rig and the Intellitouch works well. I use the Snark when going out or travelling because I don't care if I lose it.  I'm so old I only use a phone .... as a phone.    :laughin:  :cheers

I'll join the fray.

My Snark worked fine and I liked it a lot at first. After a few years, the lcd started to dim randomly forcing me to pinch the thing to get it to work. Later the paint finish started getting weird and sticky. Tossed it . . .

An old android phone in a drawer had a strobe tuner on it that works really well with the 18:1 tuners I put on all the herd.

Tuning nirvana!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 10, 2019, 06:40:15 AM
Yeah this is my last one. I find with a little tweaking they're accurate enough but too undependable. I have a Boss tuner in my electric rig and the Intellitouch works well. I use the Snark when going out or travelling because I don't care if I lose it.  I'm so old I only use a phone .... as a phone.    :laughin:  :cheers
Wait.
You mean you actually talk on that thing?
(I heard there was an app for that.)
:winkin:

I bought a bunch of JOYO JT-01 tuners for about $6.50 each.  One is in each case.  At $6.50, it's a toss up whether it's worth it to get and install a new battery or just get another tuner.

Ed

Quote from: Queequeg on July 10, 2019, 04:10:07 PM
Wait.
You mean you actually talk on that thing?
(I heard there was an app for that.)
:winkin:

Heh. I have learned to text because my kids apparently prefer it but I don't much care for it personally.  :laughin:

Where's a mod when you need 'em?
This place is just getting sooo snarkie...

:cop:

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
   That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
   What I tell you three times is true."

:bgrin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 10, 2019, 05:30:23 PM
Heh. I have learned to text because my kids apparently prefer it but I don't much care for it personally.  :laughin:

I finally broke down and started texting as it was the only way to get in touch with my sister. She just wouldn't answer a phone very often. My nephew finally said "Uncle Jon, just text mom, she won't answer the phone anymore." When I texted my wife a response of "k" in answer to her text, according to her coworkers, she nearly died of laughter...

Quote from: GA-ME on July 15, 2019, 08:59:30 AM
I finally broke down and started texting as it was the only way to get in touch with my sister. She just wouldn't answer a phone very often. My nephew finally said "Uncle Jon, just text mom, she won't answer the phone anymore." When I texted my wife a response of "k" in answer to her text, according to her coworkers, she nearly died of laughter...

U mst B kddng. R U?   :arrow

I got a Snark tuner for my daughter.  It's an opinion of pitch....at best....horses and hand grenades, I suppose.   :tongue:  My current favorite tuner is a Boss TU-03.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I still sometimes use my old Korg AT-12, or I use the Peterson App.

But I've always found those frustrating to use outside on the deck - sometimes the wind would make it almost impossible to get a good signal into the mic, especially with a baritone.

I was all set to buy the Petersen clip on, but it was almost four times the price of the "Snark Super Tight". I went with the Super Tight - so far it works fine - not as quick to tune with as the strobe, and the display simply doesn't have the resolution to be as consistent as the Peterson App on an iThingy, but it's so close . . . now I'll have to wait and see if it wears out, breaks, or if the accuracy shifts as the battery wears down.

I got a couple TC Electronics Unitune tuner a couple years ago and finally found a clip on that lasts. Metal casing, tunes well and works on different instruments from mando to bass. Batteries last. Very sturdy. A little more expensive but worth it and you can find on sale. Standard price 29.99 but can find cheaper. In my case I think it was 3 for $60.00 and I got 2 and a friend got the other.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I also have a tuning fork and a pretty good ear. I know there are other tuners out there that are better. I was talking trash about the Snark.  :cheers

ive had a snark supertight for around 6 yrs. works ok.  still in one piece. id love to have a peterson strobe clip on, but long and mcquade want 85cad +15% sales tax here in NS..bring it to 98 bucks. screw that.
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Quote from: photodork on July 24, 2019, 05:40:50 PM
ive had a snark supertight for around 6 yrs. works ok.  still in one piece. id love to have a peterson strobe clip on, but long and mcquade want 85cad +15% sales tax here in NS..bring it to 98 bucks. screw that.
Get their phone app.
:thumb

Quote from: Queequeg on July 24, 2019, 08:51:37 PM
Get their phone app.
:thumb

:+1:

(as long as you're in a quiet place)

And yes, tuning forks are totally fine, but in a noisy bar (gord forbid?) sometimes a clip-on or built-in keeps the patrons happier

Quote from: skyline on July 24, 2019, 09:14:11 PM
:+1:

(as long as you're in a quiet place)

And yes, tuning forks are totally fine, but in a noisy bar (gord forbid?) sometimes a clip-on or built-in keeps the patrons happier
"Noisy bar"... :?
Oh; right!
I've read about those.
:bgrin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 09, 2019, 08:32:50 PM
My first Snark, I tried to turn the head as I would with an Intellitouch and ... snap! I didn't do it hard either. The second one I had, just stopped working and when I changed the battery, it was still dead. I guess when they break or stop working, you just treat them like BIC lighters. They are cheap. My Intellitouch is 15 years old and still works great!

I have a PT 10 and have had it for about as long.

Dependable...easy to use....fairly durable...