New classical guitar day!!!

Started by Denis, July 09, 2019, 06:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey, wow, it's been a while since I've posted on the forum.  Here's my new LS03RW.  Got it last Friday and I've been bonding with it ever since.  It was actually built as a custom order for a client back in 2013 but they backed out of the deal before the balance was paid.  Their loss! According to John Jr, it was one of the last guitars made in Vancouver before they shifted all production to Oxnard.  There, it sat in their shop, almost forgotten until I called him up looking to have a classical built.  That's when he told me about this guitar.  It's sitka and rosewood, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard and bridge.  The sitka top has already darkened quite a bit...love that!.  The nut is 54mm which is a bit wider than the usual classical neck.  It will take some getting used to but I'm already smitten with it.  I put a fresh set of D'Addarios extra hard tension strings on it and man, it sings.  Here's a couple of pics I took when it arrived at my office on Friday and a link to a short video I put up on Facebook over the weekend.  

LS03RW1 by dturbideLS03RW2 by dturbide

https://www.facebook.com/dturbide/videos/10157003377117247/?t=0

Denis,

Beautiful guitar!  Very cool story, too!  I'm sure you'll put it to good use!  :beer

Side note:  I just started trying to learn "Squish", and it is SUCH a great tune!  My kids love it, for the name, but also for the tune!  Thanks for sharing your music!
Treenewt

You lucky duck! Lovely guitar. I liked the video too. Sounds great and looks terrific, congrats.

Very cool! Gotta love NOS guitars!! Congrats!
After finding myself mostly playing classical stuff on my steel strings for the last few months I ended up getting a nice classical myself. The ability to really emote on the nylons is such a nice thing!
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Congratulations!  A wonderful guitar !!!   :nice guitar:
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

lovely, I recently acquired a 1981 JCL classical from New Brunswick, by fluke, and i play it a LOT more than i thought i would.
I'll post pics sometime- congrats, Jean is still pretty passionate about his humble Classical builds....( or so i've been told.)
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on July 21, 2019, 09:23:35 PM
lovely, I recently acquired a 1981 JCL classical from New Brunswick, by fluke, and i play it a LOT more than i thought i would.
I'll post pics sometime- congrats, Jean is still pretty passionate about his humble Classical builds....( or so i've been told.)

Kevin, this guitar is so lively and warm.  I can't stop playing it.  I think the action might be a bit low right now.  I'll have to take it to my guy.  Much to my surprise, this guitar has a truss rod in it! 

I just stare at that sitka top sometimes...

:nice guitar: This guitar found a perfect home!
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Riverbend on July 23, 2019, 05:40:16 AM
:nice guitar: This guitar found a perfect home!

I started on a classical.  A cheap, made in Taiwan classical my parents got me for Christmas in 1980.  It's still at my mom's right now...unless they got rid of it in the last move? 

Anyway, the older I get, the more I gravitate to nylon strings.  I'm using it for almost all my recording these days.  I just released an EP with a friend from Norway but I didn't have it for that so it's the custom LV-03 that got used for that.  I have a tune out on Aug 9 and another on Aug 21 and I used this new guitar on both.  I'm totally in love. 

I didn't start on a classical, but for years a Finnish made Espana nylon was my only guitar. I bought it my first year in college, 1975, and still have it. It fell off a stand a few years ago and the headstock broke. I glued it back on but haven't finished it completely yet, but will someday as it is a great sounding guitar. As I get older my index and pinky fingers are curving towards each other, so the neck will unfortunately never be easy for me again.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Woo Hoo Denis!

Really looking forward to hear where this fine beastie takes you!

kip

ya, Jr. is correct. a rear beauty for sure. from my perspective very rear, hang on to her. now a days JCL's classical guitars are actuality classical  guitars, the toro's. not making that one anymore, if ever

What did I miss here - did someone delete a post?   :?

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Not sure Mikemac.  I didn't delete anything. 

Still loving this guitar by the way.  I've barely touched any other instrument since it arrived.  Sound, feel, look....it has it all.  I've been doing some recording with it.  Here's my latest release. 

https://song.link/ca/i/1477473779

Quote from: Denis on September 17, 2019, 12:30:12 PMI've been doing some recording with it.  Here's my latest release. 

I thought so! Came up on my Spotify "New Releases" - NICE!

kip

Quote from: Denis on September 17, 2019, 12:30:12 PM
Still loving this guitar by the way.  I've barely touched any other instrument since it arrived.  Sound, feel, look....it has it all.  I've been doing some recording with it.  Here's my latest release. 
Denis,
I could listen to you play that guitar all day.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on September 17, 2019, 01:37:39 PM
Denis,
I could listen to you play that guitar all day.
Mike

Mike, I'd love to play it all day.  But then I would get to wake up at 5:30 every morning to go to my day job...

Quote from: Denis on September 18, 2019, 04:00:54 PM
Mike, I'd love to play it all day.  But then I would get to wake up at 5:30 every morning to go to my day job...
Denis,
I wish for you the gift of more time.
Of the folks who post in the group (whether now or then) I think you, Dustin, and Duck are the ones who have taken playing past a certain level and are now doing something with it. For which you are admired. Of course, we have Kevin, who is already well established, but you guys are the ones who are going at it now, with your levels of success, and the rest of us can say, well, maybe we can do it too.
You are going to get there.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on September 18, 2019, 09:56:22 PM
Denis,
I wish for you the gift of more time.
Of the folks who post in the group (whether now or then) I think you, Dustin, and Duck are the ones who have taken playing past a certain level and are now doing something with it. For which you are admired. Of course, we have Kevin, who is already well established, but you guys are the ones who are going at it now, with your levels of success, and the rest of us can say, well, maybe we can do it too.
You are going to get there.
Mike

Thanks Mike.  Retirement is only 7 years away!!  I plan on playing a lot more, recording a lot more, maybe teach a bit, start playing gigs again...7 years away