L-28 Florentine Cutaway

Started by Randy_R, March 28, 2005, 06:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

There was a discussion about Larrivee on the usenet group rmmga when a fellow wrote that he had a model L-28. I managed to decipher his email address, and he and I have exchanged information about this guitar.

He's a French-Canadian and the guitar was purchased new at the Larrivee workshop in North Vancouver in 1986. I have a scan of a receipt signed by Wendy Larrivee. Brian T. wrote the owner, Alain, and indicated that the guitar may have been built earlier than 1986.

more photos: http://randyr.guitarpost.com/Alain/LarriveeL28.htm
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I don't have a catalog from the period so I don't know the significance of the 'L-28' model.  It looks like what we would now call a L-10C.  And it looks like the buyer paid full retail price.  A lot of $$$ for 1986.

E. Shoaf

What a beautiful piece of history. I'm curious why this was posted--is it for sale?

"...when love comes to town gonna jump that train" --B. B. King

SD-50 Commemorative
Goodall walnut-engleman CJ
Charis madigascar-cedar SJ
Loriente Isabel pau ferro-german Classical

Randy,

Thanks for posting this info. I had never heard of the "28" designation before.

This guitar is identical to my 1984 L10 (L10 doesn't have cutaway). Same rosette, same inlays, purfling, etc.

It is possible that this guitar was made in 1983. My L10 has the serial number 103191 and was started in January 1984. If the serial numbers followed a logical pattern, 282895 would have been made prior to mine.

Regardless, the L28 must be pretty special. Larrivee was full tilt into Electric production during this period and made very few acoustics. In talking to ex Larrivee workers I have been told that acoustic guitar making was handled almost entirely by Jean and John Jr. I would think the Deluxe series would have received their full attention.

Randy, this one deserves to be in your collection! (If it's for sale, and you don't want it, let me know!)

Ron

Ron
Ron

:o !!  Beautiful.  Otherwise, I'm speechless.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

E. Shoaf. There is a scan of the period catalog page as the last image

others. no its not for sale, for those curious why it was posted. It was posted because this is the Larrivee forum and this is a piece of Larrivee history of interest to most of us.

These or similar instruments do come up for sale periodically, you just need to watch for them, or use an internet search engine.

I've invited the owner to join the forum.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

And fourteen years after the last post I find this thread and this site with a google search.  I play an L28.  I think it's from 1982.  Valdi played one too.  And back in 1984 I had a chance to play with Valdi in Thompson, Manitoba.  Cheers to all.

Quote from: davidaubrey on June 22, 2019, 02:05:23 AM
And fourteen years after the last post I find this thread and this site with a google search.  I play an L28.  I think it's from 1982.  Valdi played one too.  And back in 1984 I had a chance to play with Valdi in Thompson, Manitoba.  Cheers to all.
:welcome:   :gotpics:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

And I hope Randy is doing well. I may end up in those North Georgia mountains myself.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on June 22, 2019, 11:56:12 AM
And I hope Randy is doing well.
:+1:   
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

FWIW the L-28 would be a C-10 in todays model naming

Quote from: davidaubrey on June 22, 2019, 02:05:23 AM
And fourteen years after the last post I find this thread and this site with a google search.  I play an L28.  I think it's from 1982.  Valdi played one too.  And back in 1984 I had a chance to play with Valdi in Thompson, Manitoba.  Cheers to all.

Valdy still plays his, we did a gig in Ontario a few years ago, I posted pictures of his old "presentation" model.
I think it was a "72" designate ( presentation)- so C-72 I guess.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...