Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Bad Reverb Experience  (Read 76 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »

The person I sold my Martin OM-21 contacted me after receiving it and claimed that I sent him an unplayable guitar with buzzing frets, a bellied body, a low PLASTIC saddle (Martin doesn't use plastic saddles!) and a few other complaints. I think he just changed his mind after he got the guitar. After refusing his return, he filed a complaint with Paypal, who then put a hold on my money.

So he filed his complaint with Paypal and I filed my response, leaving it to Paypal to decide (as if they could make a rational, informed decision!) who is right!

I've not heard back from Paypal yet, but I sent him back a message through Reverb and told him to return the guitar - when I receive it in the same condition I sent it, I'll refund his money. My biggest concern is that he's been cranking on the truss rod or done who-knows-what else to it, and I'm going to get it back in unplayable condition...then what do I do?

I should've known from the bidding process with this guy, by the language he used, and by questions he asked about the guitar (he didn't know what "bear claw" was) that I was dealing with someone who - while he claims he has 35 years experience with guitars - certainly doesn't know much about acoustics/woods/etc.

This guitar literally had a perfectly straight neck when I sent it to him, with 3/32" clearance under the low E string at the 12th fret - plays beautifully! So I don't know what his problem was...

There, I'm done venting. Thanks for reading. Any advice is certainly welcome as well.

I plan to take this guitar to Hoffmann Guitars in St. Paul next chance I get and have them give it a full physical. I really don't believe there's anything wrong with it - it is within acceptable specs for a 15 year old all solid wood acoustic guitar.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
lkjjr

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »

Sorry to hear this.  I've only had a few transactions on Reverb, and though always "cautiously optimistic," I'm always a bit nervous until everything is completed. While my experiences have all been positive, you just never know when dealing at arms length. No matter the population segment in question, there's always going to be a certain % as.....s in every crowd.

I think it's even more difficult when it comes to the instruments we love so much.  We hope/expect that the folks we are dealing with will appreciate them and show some regard for them too. 

I've seen enough of your posts to know you're a veteran of these wars, and it's pretty obvious you have a good "game plan" in place.  Hope the remaining actions go as quick and painless as possible. 

A piece of philosophy that always seem to serve...
"non illigitimus corborrundum"

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:56:53 PM »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Just the luck of the draw, meaning you found "him".  There's always one.  Fortunately I've had all great transactions online, Reverb included. I did manage to dodge one prospective buyer at the very last minute who wanted a lengthy "try out" period.  She really wasn't sure if guitar playing was for her, needless to say, I passed.

I wish you luck Mikeymac.  Maybe it's just a case of buyer's remorse and he doesn't want to pay the freight?   I'll be watching with interest and hoping your transaction is resolved satisfactorily.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »

Best of luck Mike!

Its this horror story why I would never sell anything without personal pickup - just me and buy only from very reputable persons and companies

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:52:34 PM »

I sold a guitar thru reverb once and will never do that again.The buyer was an old rock guy and he bought a jazz guitar because he wanted to be a jazz player,I got the guitar back damaged had to fight to get money for the damage.Had a fried who filmed me before shipping and then when I got it back.They finally gave the money to cover the damage plus my shipping cost.Won't buy or sell ever again thru them they are as bad as ebay.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 11:48:11 PM »

With PayPal (and Amazon too, of which I’ve been a seller for a long time) you are guilty till proven innocent.  None of these sites favor the seller but always the buyer.  It’s a bad setup where honest people get screwed and not-so-honest people work the system.   I had a rare box set of CDs once I sold on Amazon.  The lady simply ordered the CDs, burned them on her computer, and then made up some bogus story for Amazon to get her money back.  I might’ve even had to pay shipping both ways, which meant she got the music for free.  Same happens when I sell video games.  Folks will buy them, play and finish them, and then want a refund.  It’s rigged for the dishonest to win, but thankfully in my experience, most people are pretty honest. 

I no longer sell on eBay because they don’t value sellers at all.  Here’s a genuine eBay horror story I heard recently.  A friend’s grown son sells on there to support his young family. He ended up getting some piece of computer equipment for a very low price and planned to flip it.   Seems like he got it in one of those Amazon pallet deals and it was a huge stroke of luck.  The whole Amazon pallet was something like $20 and he sold this one piece on eBay for over $600.   But hear comes the scam. The buyer with a username like scumoftheearth001 buys the piece, then  immediately creates another user account called scumoftheearth0001.  Note the one zero difference.  He emails from the new account and asks for the piece to get shipped to a different address because he will be traveling or something like that.  Later on, the original username says WHERE IS MY STUFF and gets eBay involved.  This is when my friend’s son realizes he’s been had.  The two users are the same guy (totally obvious), but he shipped the product to a different user than the buyer.  So the prick gets the product FOR FREE and my friend’s son loses the product and the $600 that was going to help his young family.  Bad deal!  Be careful out there!
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:09:10 AM »

First, my sympathies. I've bought and sold quite a few Stratocaster and Strat parts plus several Taylor and Larrivee acoustics on eBay and while I can honestly say I've never been screwed over or had a truly bad experience, my nerves were usually shot thruout the entire process.

My take on your buyer is simple buyer's remorse and him weaseling out of the deal. That happens. What I'm here to urge you to do is whenever PayPal does get back to you, do not take their decision as final. I'm pretty sure PayPal doesn't have a human review of any complaint until the 2nd or 3rd bump up the appeal process, so don't accept whatever they finally state until you've spoken to a human and explained your side.

I haven't done Reverb yet, but with my eBay auctions I make a point of informing buyers in my listing that I go way overboard with photos and videos of the guitar's condition prior to packaging and shipping just to avoid the "not as described" way out that buyers can abuse.

Good luck, hope the guitar gets returned in good shape!

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 04:21:18 AM »

My take on your buyer is simple buyer's remorse and him weaseling out of the deal.

This is my take on it, too. I've also been there, but I've not tried to weasel out of a purchase; I've just tried to make the best of the instrument, and move it along if I can't. Chalk it up to experience.

What I'm here to urge you to do is whenever PayPal does get back to you, do not take their decision as final. I'm pretty sure PayPal doesn't have a human review of any complaint until the 2nd or 3rd bump up the appeal process, so don't accept whatever they finally state until you've spoken to a human and explained your side.

Yeah, my concern is that Paypal might try to refund him the full amount before I get the guitar back - don't know if they can do that or not? But he knew what he was doing; he went right past Reverb and filed a complaint with Paypal, who don't know squat about guitars.

He agreed to ship it back today (around 1:00 pm my time / 11:00 am his time in Oregon) but I haven't received notice that he shipped it today... which means he probably won't ship it till Monday... Paypal gave a date of Sunday, June 23rd to finish appealing this case. I'll try to contact them tomorrow to let them know he and I have reached an agreement (I haven't heard anything from them saying he has dismissed his complaint). I want to have the guitar back before that date.

Thanks for all the comments and support here - and putting up with my venting. I've done around 15 sales and purchases on Reverb over the past 3 years, some in the $2K - $2.5K range, many for less, and I've never had a problem (other than not getting a case with a Taylor once - but even though the guitar was new, it wasn't advertised in the Reverb ad with a case, so they didn't have to provide one, even though normally Taylor sold that model with a nice padded gig bag). So I've had pretty good odds so far.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:02:34 PM »

I'm going through an issue on Reverb now, but as the buyer. A seriously expensive instrument with some damage that wasn't disclosed. My first inclination was just to return it but I'm seeing if they'll offer a reasonable, partial refund. I am not even asking the cost of the repairs, just partial.

I'm impressed to see that a reverb moderator got involved within a couple days. Hoping for the best. Would hate to send this thing back but I'll do it if the seller won't make good.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: