Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Neck measurement  (Read 321 times)
Treenewt

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »

Good morning everyone.  Hoping to glean from the collective knowledge of the forum.  Does anyone have measurements on the depth of your Larrivee neck at the 1st, 5th, 9th fret?  Not width, and not radius, but the actual carve/depth of the neck.  

I'm finding that neck shape doesn't affect my hand nearly as much as I once thought it did, but rather the depth of that neck.  Deeper/thicker necks are causing me trouble with cramping, esp at 1st position.  I've owned 2 Larrivee's in the past, but never measure the neck, and while the radius took a little getting used to, I don't recall ever having a problem with the carve.  Of course, no one is near me that carries the brand, so I'm looking at ordering another OM-40 (dang I miss that guitar) but I'm trying to do some preemptive research before hand.  I haven't owned a Larry for 3 years, so this issue with my hands could have crept in since then.  

At any rate, thanks for the time!

Treenewt
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »

On my OO-05 I measure

1 - 20mm
5 - 22mm
7 - 23mm
9 - 24mm

The neck profile is what I'd call a "D" shape with the center being almost flat - photo shows the 7th fret area. The thickness is very similar to my Stratocaster necks, but the Larrivee profile is more "D" than the Strat "C"

Bummer about your wrist, best of luck with the OM!

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »

Thanks so much for the response JP!

I just received this reply from Larrivee customer service: " flat C at the first fret. Generally 21mm thick and either 1-3/4" for most or 1-11/16" for dreadnought nut width."

Treenewt
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:25:00 PM »

These measurements are from my late 2015 L-05 with 1 3/4" nut. (I have an older '79 L-19 that has a thicker neck, and a '92 OM-05 with a thinner neck. Don't have the time to pull the strings on them right now to get an accurate measurement.)

Each measurement taken on the nut side of the fret:

1st - 20.70 mm
5th - 22.37 mm
7th - 22.60 mm
9th - 23.18 mm

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 03:37:53 AM »

Thanks Mikey! I appreciate the input.

I decided to take a leap today, as snagged the last OM-03 Shoreline Music had to offer. Looking forward to getting back in the Larrivee fold! Hoping the neck agrees with me, and the thinner profile helps with my discomfort.

Treenewt
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:37:03 PM »

Best of luck. I saw that Shoreline is having a moving sale, so you're getting a good deal on that one. Shoreline is good to deal with (don't know if you have before; I've bought strings and a few other items from them).

nice guitar

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »

Best of luck. I saw that Shoreline is having a moving sale, so you're getting a good deal on that one. Shoreline is good to deal with (don't know if you have before; I've bought strings and a few other items from them).

nice guitar

Thanks Mikey!  I did get a good deal, I think.  I'm stoked.  I bought my last Larry from John a few years ago, an OM-40, and he was so great to deal with.  Same on this transaction.  Can't recommend him higher!

Treenewt
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 04:20:05 AM »

OM-03 came today!!!!!   

Crazy busy day and evening, but I am pretty much beside myself! Tone: forgot how freaking awesome the balanced, full tone of a Larrivée mahogany body is!!! Also, I don’t feel like the -03 gives up ugh if anything to my former OM-40 in bass. Obviously, that may be in my head, but I certainly don’t feel it lacking. And the tone strummed or fingerpick Ed is SO DANG GOOD!  Ahhhhh...BALANCE! Feel: love the neck, and while I didn’t get to play for hours, my hand wasn’t fatigued at all. Also, first time I’ve played a Larrivée with the 16’ radius and while I could tell a big difference, even from memory, I liked it. Having been a MArtin (and Martin Clone) player for years, it was easy to play. However, if you’re very used to the traditional Larrivée fretboard, I could see it being odd or hard to get used to.

Overall, I’m thrilled. Will post a NGD and pics later when I have time.

Treenewt
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »

Congrats and happy NGD! Glad it met your expectations.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: