Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the "scratch guard" argument.  (Read 501 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »

OK we're polite, we call them "Pick guards".

Some protective device over  a certain area of a guitar to protect it from the pick scratching the top.

Jeans original clear one has always been great. Didn't appeal to the "traditional' players, so the classic teardrop has been added...

How many people on this forum, have watched their strumming close enough to see exactly when and how their playing would cause the pick to actually hit the top of the guitar in such a way as to need protection?

Theoretically speaking, how far in does one have to dig their pick into the strings with a follow through that might cause the pic to even touch the top?

Have been analyzing my own playing , and I can't figure out, the issue.
 Given what I know (from playing and teaching) the vertical & horizontal axis of the position to the guitar ( strings) and the proper angle of strumming technique- (from top to bottom- all strings strummed equally ) how any amount of plastic pick would get close enough to a well designed guitar to even shadow a "possible" scratch......

some body will explain I'm sure- oh and sitting on a couch with a guitar resting on your beer belly ( I have one too btw) doesn't count as an argument  bigrin

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »

Pick guards work great. I've never broken a pick yet!  whistling

Seriously, this guitar has no pick guard (not even a clear one anymore) and is unscathed (by my playing). I use one of my dreads if I want to beat on a guitar.

* 1975 L-11 (1).JPG (71.2 KB, 433x577 - viewed 27 times.)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:13:07 AM »

Took the clear guard off my Anderson years ago for no real reason.Since I gave up doing windmills never have scratch my top.

* OM03PA.JPG (161.88 KB, 480x640 - viewed 23 times.)

* D25 001.JPG (143.62 KB, 640x480 - viewed 29 times.)

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may b
DrD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »

Those of us who "anchor" the little finger may need to beware, depending on the guitar's finish...I had a Martin LX-1, (no finish on the spruce top except sealant?); in a year or so  of sporadic playing I wore an unsightly spot into the wood...maybe wouldn't happen on Larrivee satin or gloss, but it sure did on my little Martin.  Before I sold it to a friend, I put a Larrivee clear pickguard on it.  But, yeah, if you don't windmill or thrash, what's a well-controlled pick going to do?
tlp2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:29:22 PM »

Who nose (sic) picks?

DrD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:38:44 PM »

Nice one, tip2!  Some of us may stand, or sit, corrected. 
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 11:01:50 PM »

indeed! here's the famous 71 Larrivee (first steel string Jean built)

* 71lari warscars.jpg (58.52 KB, 480x640 - viewed 21 times.)

* 71 larrivee .jpg (172.45 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 23 times.)

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 11:23:57 PM »

I have 3 guitars w/o guards at all and while my picking technique is pretty clean and doesn't strike the body much, I can still see a few little swipes in the finish. I try not to do a ton of practice on those instruments unless it's fingerstyle.
I think the finish matters too. 2 of mine w/o guards are french polished so they mar easily. Larrivees have very tough finishes and I'm less cautious with my Larrivees. I use a rag under my forearm on most of my instruments to protect the nitro or varnish. Not needed on the Larrivees. Just a wipe down every so often.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 01:27:40 AM »

My OM that everyone loves to play has lots of little knicks and dings around the edges and on the sides, virtually none in the area that would have been "protected" by a pick guard. But while it gets at least as many hours of playing, my SD has none at all (a plus side to a 1 7/8 nut? ;> )

While there are dramatic exceptions, if you look closely at most pick guards, you won't see many scuffs or scratches - there is some other aesthetic at play here . . .
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 04:15:56 AM »

While there are dramatic exceptions, if you look closely at most pick guards, you won't see many scuffs or scratches - there is some other aesthetic at play here . . .
Respectfully, I'd have to disagree, heavily. I've had dozens of used guitars and typically see a lot of swirling on the pick guards. Even on lightly played instruments where the frets are barely marked. I don't leave many pick marks myself and guitars I bought new are relatively unblemished on the guard.
It should also be noted that guards don't show marks easily like top finishes do since guards are much tougher so you do have to angle them in the light to see the marks. A pick guard can still look great but have a ton of swirling on it.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 11:58:22 AM »

My OM that everyone loves to play has lots of little knicks and dings around the edges and on the sides, virtually none in the area that would have been "protected" by a pick guard. But while it gets at least as many hours of playing, my SD has none at all (a plus side to a 1 7/8 nut? ;> )

I think I see what you mean. Often the most severe damage is outside of the pick guard. The guard may have prevented damage to the area it covers but didn't do a complete job. Not damaging the top of your guitar with a pick is mainly a matter of technique and control, not the hunk of plastic put near the sound hole. IMO. 
C-10-4-me

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »

My 23 year old C-10 has the clear pick guard and other than a few fingernail scratches from anchoring my little finger, it’s in great shape. In over 40 years of playing I’ve never damaged a guitar with a pick, and I use a pick about 90% of the time.

Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: