Parlor to 00 scale length

Started by reward, May 17, 2019, 03:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone,

I recently bought my first new guitar in ten years, a Larrivee parlor, and of course I'm in love and looking for more. I'm looking at the 00 next for more of a gigging guitar.
I'm over in the UK and it's not easy for me to get one to play (I'm not sure there's actually one in the country at the minute...) but I just wanted to ask if anyone here has experience of moving between a parlor to a 00. I know they are both small bodied guitars and the only concern I have is scale length. The parlor is 24" and the 00 is 25.5"
So a naive question, but is there a huge difference to the neck when playing?
I will check out a longer scale guitar over here but love Larrivee so thought I would ask here.
Also any feedback on the Larrivee 00 appreciated.
thanks.

I just wanted to ask if anyone here has experience of moving between a parlor to a 00. I know they are both small bodied guitars and the only concern I have is scale length. The parlor is 24" and the 00 is 25.5" So a naive question, but is there a huge difference to the neck when playing?
I will check out a longer scale guitar over here but love Larrivee so thought I would ask here.
Also any feedback on the Larrivee 00 appreciated.

I don't have direct experience moving from a P to a 00, but that's never stopped me from weighing in before, I have had several 00 models pass thru my hands.  I did a quick scan of Larrivee's P model and it has a 1 3/4" nut and 2 7/32" string spacing, which is exactly the same as on the 00 models. So your left hand is not likely to give you any different feel going up to the 00. I get your concern with the change of scale, but my experience switching from my 24.9" short scale OOV to the OO-05 standard scale I have is that I hardly notice the 1/2" difference. Folks say that a shorter scale will give you less string tension than a longer scale but it's hardly dramatic.

I'm Larrivee's biggest fan of the OO model, I have 2 of them and they are fantastic. Beats any Taylor 12 fret by a wide margin. My OO's have spoiled me with their volume and it's specific tonal range such that other models Larrivee hold little interest for me. For me the tonal range of the 12 fret OO fits my ear perfectly, nice chimey trebles, great midrange tones and sufficient enough bass to know it's there.

Good luck finding one, don't think you'll regret it.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

many thanks for the reply jpmist. The sound really does appeal and somehow they just look right too.

Love the OO.  Much fuller tone than the one and only parlor I played.  I've only played a Larrivee parlor in a store--once.  But I thought the tonal difference between the two was remarkable, favoring the OO, of course.  Ya know, size matters.  Can't speak to the neck, though.

You might want to try an L model. What Larrivée guitars are all about, imho.  :cheers

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've read about Larrivee L models but I'm a smaller guy and I like the guitar to feel comfortable at my front.
Also, I played a baby Martin for ten years so even the parlor felt bigger to me at first!
I reckon 00 size/tone would be ideal.
Thanks again.

Quote from: reward on May 18, 2019, 09:55:02 AM
Thanks again.
Sounds like it would be perfect for you. Versatile too.

I love mine so much I got a backup  :blush:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

wow beautiful guitars!
Think I would have to ask a UK Larrivee dealer to order me one. We have a few shops deal with Larrivee over here but only one or two with a good range and it looks like the 00s are pretty rare. To get a Parlor, the nearest one was a three hour drive.

Quote from: reward on May 18, 2019, 09:55:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've read about Larrivee L models but I'm a smaller guy and I like the guitar to feel comfortable at my front.
Also, I played a baby Martin for ten years so even the parlor felt bigger to me at first!
Thanks again.

Even though it comes up fairly often, I'm not sure I get this thinking. Most pianists are way smaller than pianos and yet still manage to play them but ...    :beer 

In my personal experience with Larrivee parlors, the short scale limits their tone - TO ME; others love it.

A few years ago, Larrivee made a few parlors (maybe a dealer special run?) that had 24.75" scale length, and these were noticeably "bigger" sounding than the 24" scale length ones. It's amazing what a slightly different scale length does to the volume and tone!

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 18, 2019, 01:39:36 PM
In my personal experience with Larrivee parlors, the short scale limits their tone - TO ME; others love it.

A few years ago, Larrivee made a few parlors (maybe a dealer special run?) that had 24.75" scale length, and these were noticeably "bigger" sounding than the 24" scale length ones. It's amazing what a slightly different scale length does to the volume and tone!

Having owned a parlor, I have to say that while it was fun to have, great for travel and just sitting on the sofa watching TV and plucking around, it would never suffice as my every day guitar. Unless suffering from some sort of ailment or injury, I just don't see how the size of the guitar body or a few centimeters in scale length makes a guitar easier to play. Comfort with the instrument becomes a matter of technique. Then again, I've been wrong before.   :arrow