Baritone mod

Started by headsup, April 18, 2019, 09:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

it's a bit difficult to find a nice baritone guitar, furthermore, I'm a bit worried if I would actually make use of it as much as my imagination does.

I had this crazy idea of getting one of those acoustic basses that are cheap and plentiful and adding two strings.
Either by filling and redriling the headstock for six, and doing the same on the bridge..

I've heard of this being done, and as a guy with "More guts than brains" I figure it could be fun experiment.

any body around here done that or heard of some-one that has?

and yes, as I type this, I think..
I actually COULD go on the WWW and find this idea...

which, is what I' will do shortly...
mostly putting this idea out there
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Like over 50?

Hey, go for it. My baritone cost me a lot more and while I like it, you're right, it doesn't get that much use.

I'm not sure if you are open to this idea, but see if you can find one of the Taylor 8 string baritones. I played one at Gruhn guitars in Nashville back to back with a used Larry Baritone. The extra two strings (octaves) give it a voice and utility that haunts me to this day. It's kind of magical, really. I'm not a Taylor fan. The one in my signature was won in a drawing and I had to put a new nut in it because the factory installed nut was biased way too far to the high e side.

Back to your idea: scale length for an acoustic bass vs baritone?
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I purchased one of the Alvarez Artist series Baritones last year from MF on their Stupid Deal of the Day for $299.

Solid top, laminate back/sides, basic pickup.

Best 300 bucks I have spent on an instrument.

Quote from: AZLiberty on April 21, 2019, 09:58:03 PM
I purchased one of the Alvarez Artist series Baritones last year from MF on their Stupid Deal of the Day for $299.

Solid top, laminate back/sides, basic pickup.

Best 300 bucks I have spent on an instrument.

Hey- thanks for the tip, found one in Winnipeg Canada- bought it, not as stupid of a deal as you got, but I did OK- been looking for a decent baritone for some time now.
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on April 22, 2019, 06:25:32 PM

Hey- thanks for the tip, found one in Winnipeg Canada- bought it, not as stupid of a deal as you got, but I did OK- been looking for a decent baritone for some time now.

How soon before you wish you'd sprung for the Larrivée?  :wink:

Quote from: headsup on April 22, 2019, 06:25:32 PM

The case was extra.  Here's mine.  Alvarez has used two slightly different body shapes, both more or less small Jumbos:

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 22, 2019, 08:36:28 PM
How soon before you wish you'd sprung for the Larrivée?  :wink:

After playing a BR-03 and a BR-03R I really understood the attraction of Baritones - but I wasn't sure how much I'd really play one,

Then I played four or five Walden B1 baritones when they were new and they were all quite nice, so when a used one showed up sub-$200 Cdn I grabbed it.

Baritones open up a wonderful timbre/tension relationship - sooner or later I'll go for a BR-03R the 12 fret neck makes it much more comfortable to play and they have a beautifully balanced full output

Quote from: skyline on April 28, 2019, 06:25:55 PM
After playing a BR-03 and a BR-03R I really understood the attraction of Baritones - but I wasn't sure how much I'd really play one,

Then I played four or five Walden B1 baritones when they were new and they were all quite nice, so when a used one showed up sub-$200 Cdn I grabbed it.

Baritones open up a wonderful timbre/tension relationship - sooner or later I'll go for a BR-03R the 12 fret neck makes it much more comfortable to play and they have a beautifully balanced full output

I use it a little but I like it a lot. Used to have a Yamaha electric baritone, as well, which I regret selling.

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 29, 2019, 07:52:54 AMI use it a little but I like it a lot.

your photo reminded me - the 12 fret join makes a huge difference - the Larrivées have much more consistent low end

Thanks, for temp purposes I bought an Alvarez Baritone.
It's ok, but I'm clearly spoiled by the brand we all come here for.
Looking at finding or ordering a Baritone from Oxnard.

a heck of a lot of fun, and a whole new and different harmonic addition to any session...
Like over 50?