Martin Oddities.

Started by ducktrapper, April 14, 2019, 05:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got into some guitar maintenance today. New strings and since this is a nearly 45 year old guitar and the pick guard was lifting, using a hair dryer and a cookie lifter (sorry Helen) I took off the old pick guard. Now I'd heard of putting on pick guards before finishing the guitar but I didn't think Martin would stoop so low on such an expensive guitar. Yet, lo and behold, unfinished underneath the guard. I wasn't expecting it to look this bad. I have to get a new one quick.

Secondly, the strings I used, Martin 80/20 Bronze Light .012 - .054, I found to be oddly packaged. Six strings in three paper envelopes. No big deal but it made changing strings more awkward than it needed to be. The strings are coiled together, 1st with 4th, 2nd with 5th, 3rd with 6th. Okay, I want to put the 6th string on, what do I do with the 3rd now that it's uncoiled? Like I said, not a huge deal but it's a good thing I don't have a cat.  :laughin:  

I ordered a pg from LarrivĂ©e and while I was at it ... a new windbreaker.  :blush:

I remember when Martin packaged their strings like that - it was a pain - because I have TWO cats!!!

Their strings are no longer packaged that way, thankfully - they're all in individual paper packets (inside a cellophane like wrapper).

That is weird to see that guitar completely unfinished under the fingerboard - BUT - Martin used to apply their pickguards before the finish, so I guess it makes sense that they did it even on sunburst models.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 15, 2019, 11:58:37 AM
I remember when Martin packaged their strings like that - it was a pain - because I have TWO cats!!!

Their strings are no longer packaged that way, thankfully - they're all in individual paper packets (inside a cellophane like wrapper).

That is weird to see that guitar completely unfinished under the fingerboard - BUT - Martin used to apply their pickguards before the finish, so I guess it makes sense that they did it even on sunburst models.

I have many sets of strings. Could have been in the ol' string box for years. That was the last set like that, though. Thought I better use them up.  As for the guitar top, it probably wouldn't be as startling if it wasn't a burst. Seems a weird thing to do. How much finish could they be saving?   :coffee

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 15, 2019, 04:03:53 PM

How much finish could they be saving?   :coffee

None, I would think. They probably mask off the pickguard area and spray away, then remove the tape, apply the guard and spray the final finish over the top of that (I believe this is how they would have done a sunburst back in those days.

Are you sure the Larrivee pickguard will cover it?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 17, 2019, 04:03:18 PM
Are you sure the Larrivee pickguard will cover it?

Pretty sure. It's dread sized. Should be fairly standard but I guess I can't be sure. If not, I'll to go to the local music store. He's a Martin dealer and should have Martin replacement items. I guess I could find a way to glue the original one back down but I'd rather not.

https://www.larrivee.com/shop/tortoise-pick-guard-larrive-exclusive-pattern

Beautiful guitar except for that.   :thumb. Be sure to post a picture of it with new PG
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 18, 2019, 07:39:30 PM
Beautiful guitar except for that.   :thumb. Be sure to post a picture of it with new PG

Yes it is and will do.  :cheers

Martin has been spraying their lacquer over the pick guards for as long as i can remember.
And wow, that's the first time you've had to deal with string packaging like that?

that being said, we have 2 cats, and they seem to know when i change strings, they both show up and watch, and wait, and pounce, kinda fun really..
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on April 18, 2019, 09:19:46 PM
Martin has been spraying their lacquer over the pick guards for as long as i can remember.
And wow, that's the first time you've had to deal with string packaging like that?

that being said, we have 2 cats, and they seem to know when i change strings, they both show up and watch, and wait, and pounce, kinda fun really..

I've lived a sheltered life apparently and as we used to say, "All fun and games until someone loses an eye."   :cheers

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 18, 2019, 09:24:24 PM
I've lived a sheltered life apparently and as we used to say, "All fun and games until someone loses an eye."   :cheers

Or...

"It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt...

...then it's hilarious!!!"   :roll

Well ... it's done.

Great looking guitar, now  :tongue:
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Quote from: Yippie on May 03, 2019, 06:42:18 PM
Great looking guitar, now  :tongue:

The trouble being that although the new pg is almost an exact fit, because of the way it was originally done, it will never be quite right. Oh well, no one but me will ever look that closely.

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 03, 2019, 06:45:52 PM
The trouble being that although the new pg is almost an exact fit, because of the way it was originally done, it will never be quite right. Oh well, no one but me will ever look that closely.

Are you talking about it being crooked?   :nice guitar:   Sorry I couldn't help myself.   :humour:
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 09, 2019, 07:11:50 PM
Are you talking about it being crooked?   :nice guitar:   Sorry I couldn't help myself.   :humour:

Well, because of the lack of finish, there is a ridge where the finish and the p.g. meet. Although the new p.g. is a good fit, it's like you have to fit into the gulf that exists after you remove the old guard. You have to be very precise. If there was finish under the guard, it would not be quite so difficult nor would it matter if you put it on a little ... off.  :cheers

That's a nice guitar and you did a good job on the replacement.

I have the same model with the same finish that was started on the line in 1976 and finished in early 1977 before the infamous labor strike at the factory. This guitar is now heading into year 43 and has a slight hairline crack at the bottom of the pick guard that appeared when the original pick guard lifted and rolled which was problematic during that era. 

A few years back I asked Jim Holler if I should replace the larger original bridge plate with a smaller one which would have voided my lifetime warranty. We compared my guitar against two other newer D-35s and Jim basically said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Mine sounded the best to both of us and my son at the time.

Quote from: teh on May 10, 2019, 04:16:11 PM

A few years back I asked Jim Holler if I should replace the larger original bridge plate with a smaller one which would have voided my lifetime warranty. We compared my guitar against two other newer D-35s and Jim basically said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Mine sounded the best to both of us and my son at the time.

You have to admit, though: don't you wonder how much better it might be with a small maple bridge plate (and maybe the popcycle brace removed, and the back braces shaved down)? From what I understand, Martin's warranty isn't what it used to be... in many/most cases, they don't cover neck resets anymore.

Have you considered having someone like Bryan Kimsey give it the spa treatment? It wouldn't be terribly expensive if you don't need a neck reset or frets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5kRtg_yvI

He starts talking about what mods he did at around the 3:00 minute mark (after playing it a bit).

:donut :coffee

Quote from: teh on May 10, 2019, 04:16:11 PM
That's a nice guitar and you did a good job on the replacement.

I have the same model with the same finish that was started on the line in 1976 and finished in early 1977 before the infamous labor strike at the factory. This guitar is now heading into year 43 and has a slight hairline crack at the bottom of the pick guard that appeared when the original pick guard lifted and rolled which was problematic during that era. 

Yes it is and thanks. I gather I was lucky not to have the common crack. Oddly enough though, of my two dreads, I prefer my D-05. It's lighter and more responsive. The D-35 is built like a truck.   :beer