Blast from the past: B-band issue

Started by Tycho, April 13, 2019, 04:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all.  I haven't been here in a long time, but I thought the wealth of knowledge here might help me get an answer to this question.

I have a friend who has D-03E he bought around 2004.  It came with the B-Band pickup system that was current in D-series guitars at the time.  He has decided it's time to trade the guitar in, so he brought it to one of our local retailers.  After trying a bunch of Taylors and Martins (and experiencing severe sticker shock because, unlike me, he hasn't bought a guitar in the past decade), he settled on a very nice matte-finish D-40 that sounds great and is in his price range.

However...when he pulled out his D-03E to do the trade-in, the retailer evaluated it and said they couldn't do the deal because the pickup system isn't working at all.  My friend didn't give me any details on what they said the problem was.  The retailer said he was basically completely out of luck, because they can't sell a guitar with a non-functioning pickup.  They added that since Larrivee doesn't use B-band anymore, he was unlikely to get any help from them.

So, two questions: first, does B-band still exist?  I couldn't find a website, but hope springs eternal.  Secondly, if it does still exist, does anyone have any recent experience dealing with them?  Years ago, I was able to get a replacement transducer from them for my D-03RE very quickly and with no hassle.  But that was years ago.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

You can contact Larrivée and request a Registered Owner Replacement/Upgrade (LR Baggs) at specialty pricing. The current LR Baggs have a slightly larger footprint than B-Band and therefor easily retrofitted by any qualified tech. :thumbsup

Many thanks.  I will pass that info on to my friend.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition