Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kinda slow here  (Read 494 times)
Kohtzy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »

Shrinking pick guards cracking tops...what a sad thread. Maybe the forum was better off being quite 🙂.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 04:31:07 PM »

The shrinking pick guard is cause of cracking, finish or not. Right? The finish will not prevent cracking, in this case.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
Something is wrong,,,have you noticed?
Dr. LJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »

The shrinking pick guard is cause of cracking, finish or not. Right? The finish will not prevent cracking, in this case.

It is the way the pickguard was attached that caused the cracking. It was so tightly adhered to the wood that when the guard would shrink there was no give and they would crack along the grain.  What would prevent the cracking would be the pickguard coming loose from the wood.  The kinds of pickguards used today have an adhesive back and they are pretty easy to get off for replacement.
I don't know for sure if that type of adhesive was ever used on finished top guitars but I suspect it was not.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 09:19:09 PM »

I guess I should be thankful mine didn't crack. I still feel quite comfortable criticizing this method of attaching the pick guard. I mean, if the adhesives used way back then meant the pick guard would have to be replaced in 20 instead of 50 years, so what? It comes off, the top is finished, you put a new one on. The way they did it was short sighted is all I'm saying. Someone should have known better. The pick guard is an accessory. The finish? Not so much. This is lutherie, not carpentry.   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »

Shrinking pick guards cracking tops...what a sad thread. Maybe the forum was better off being quite 🙂.

It's a discussion. No one's forcing you to participate in it.   
Kohtzy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »

I apologize Ducktrapper; my post was an attempt at a light hearted joke ( the forum is slow, so a conversation starts about damaged guitars...which, nobody wants to deal with.)

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 12:30:50 AM »

I apologize Ducktrapper; my post was an attempt at a light hearted joke ( the forum is slow, so a conversation starts about damaged guitars...which, nobody wants to deal with.)

Backatcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Things go right over my head sometimes. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 12:45:56 AM »

If I had to expand on the pick guard theory of existence, I'd do a more in depth comparison between Larrivée and Martin because I find this very interesting. I'll start by stating the obvious, that Martin due to its long history and, let's face it, having made hundreds of thousands of fine guitars has certainly earned its reputation. For years, like the old TV networks, along with a couple of others they dominated the market.   

Then Jean Larrivée comes along 50 years ago and starts making these incredible guitars and immediately some people are saying, "Wow! Nice guitar! Can you build me a dread?" Yeah okay. Larrivée also has a thing about the beauty of the wood and so doesn't put big black pick guards on his guitars. People say, "Beautiful! Is there some way to remove these see through things and put a big black pick guard on it?" JCL also has a unique way of bracing his guitars. Some people say, "These sound great! Can you square the head stock, change the bracing and ... put a big black pick guard on it?" Tradition!      
Kohtzy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »

No problem Ducktrapper.

Dr. LJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 01:18:30 AM »

I guess I should be thankful mine didn't crack. I still feel quite comfortable criticizing this method of attaching the pick guard. I mean, if the adhesives used way back then meant the pick guard would have to be replaced in 20 instead of 50 years, so what? It comes off, the top is finished, you put a new one on. The way they did it was short sighted is all I'm saying. Someone should have known better. The pick guard is an accessory. The finish? Not so much. This is lutherie, not carpentry.  

I am not disagreeing with you. I was just explaining what happened.
I am a fanatic about instrument history and there is a lot of history with Martin--good and bad. Like you said in your other post, just considering the number of years they have been in business means  they have made lots of fantastic guitars but there were some bloopers in there, too.
I would not like it if I owned a 70s era Martin and it cracked.  It could be fixed, but I would not like it. I agree that it was not a good way to put the guard on.  It is just you can't do much about it now.
I did not even bring up the other 70's issue where saddles were misplaced by 1/4 of an inch and the intonation was so totally off  that saddles had to be taken off and repositioned.  I did not even mention that and I am going to save it for another time so you did not hear it here--yet.
I own 3 Martins and 2 Larrivees.  I like the differences between them. My D-10 is my all time favorite guitar.  Go figure.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 01:35:34 AM »

I am not disagreeing with you. I was just explaining what happened.
I am a fanatic about instrument history and there is a lot of history with Martin--good and bad. Like you said in your other post, just considering the number of years they have been in business means  they have made lots of fantastic guitars but there were some bloopers in there, too.
I would not like it if I owned a 70s era Martin and it cracked.  It could be fixed, but I would not like it. I agree that it was not a good way to put the guard on.  It is just you can't do much about it now.
I did not even bring up the other 70's issue where saddles were misplaced by 1/4 of an inch and the intonation was so totally off  that saddles had to be taken off and repositioned.  I did not even mention that and I am going to save it for another time so you did not hear it here--yet.
I own 3 Martins and 2 Larrivees.  I like the differences between them. My D-10 is my all time favorite guitar.  Go figure.

How about that? I think we're actually in complete agreement. It's just that I paid 3k for this guitar and I was kind of p.o.'d when I saw the bare wood. WTF? However, the glass being at least half full, it's a very nice instrument. My wife's favorite of all my guitars. For me, it's third best after my 1975 L and my D-05. I'll admit it, I wanted to be a Martin owner. When you walk onto a stage with a nice Martin, you have some of the credibility that the company itself has, The game's yours to lose at that point. Anyway, with problems like mine, who needs luck?     
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2019, 05:24:48 PM »

From kinda slow around here to a Martin topic?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 10:25:51 PM »

From kinda slow around here to a Martin topic?

"Non-Guitar Discussion"!    
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 04:05:14 AM »

I’m still around...sort of.  Life is kind of beating me up right now.  You guys are making me glad I don’t have a pickguard on my guitar!

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

I’m still around...sort of.  Life is kind of beating me up right now.  You guys are making me glad I don’t have a pickguard on my guitar!

You're in the fray, that's good. It's not supposed to be easy. There is a curse, you know. Just don't let go of your sword. 

Pain is a good thing
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 10:54:21 AM »

I'm glad you're around here, Paraclete.  Life is beating me up, too.  I'm sure you're equal to it and I wish you some peace.  I wish all of us some peace.
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »

It’s the big D for me, and I’m just praying I don’t lose my guitars in the process.

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 11:59:17 PM »

It’s the big D for me, and I’m just praying I don’t lose my guitars in the process.
Good luck with that, Paraclete.
A lot of us have been through it and I’m here to tell you there’s both life and guitars on the other side.

broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 12:11:52 AM »

Hope you have some good friends. You already have one good One.

Pain is a good thing
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 01:18:37 AM »

Good luck with that, Paraclete.
A lot of us have been through it and I’m here to tell you there’s both life and guitars on the other side.

Thanks!  I need that reminder!

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: