MY daughter found a guitar case!

Started by headsup, March 13, 2019, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK, so my son in law is sorta famous.
He flies around the world playing shows, and at all the big music festivals etc.
usually he gets his guitars supplied, sometimes he has to take his newer martin D-28.
My daughter bought him a TRIC case- lightweight and wonderful a year ago.

Apparently he has worn it out.
now she sends me this link and wants to buy this case. asks my opinion.
Looks pretty cool, I never heard of it.

anyone else?

http://reunionblues.com/product/252/rb-continental-voyager-acoustic-case
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I've not seen that one personally, but Reunion Blues makes good stuff. I think my son has one of their very expensive leather cases (which he won in a drawing at a local guitar shop in Omaha - he keeps his SG in it).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

It looks like a feather weight hard foam inside gig bag covered.Nice case's light weight pretty sturdy can take some abuse.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I wouldn't use that for an acoustic. Look how flexible those walls are at 1:05 in the video. The high levels of padding might be fine for an electric but I wouldn't even consider traveling with an acoustic in a bag like that.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 14, 2019, 07:55:50 PM
I wouldn't use that for an acoustic. Look how flexible those walls are at 1:05 in the video. The high levels of padding might be fine for an electric but I wouldn't even consider traveling with an acoustic in a bag like that.

Indeed - "strategically placed impact panels," don't sound baggage-handler/roadie proof. The direction of impact will always be totally unpredictable, no matter how good a "strategist" you might be.

They look like the liner portion of something tougher -  like a style conscious case for someone who's idea of a road trip includes having the butler arrange the entire back seat of a Cayman for one guitar.

If there's time for research it might be worth looking into a company that makes "road cases" for cello and guitar. If they can build something that protects a cello . . .

I was seriously considering buying one as they are included in the purchase price of the higher end Godin family acoustics that I was considering prior to stumbling upon a good deal on an old L-03 so the Tric case idea fell by the wayside. They make three different body sizes and for $109 CAD they strike me as quite a good deal if they suit your needs. They're not a Calton alternative and I would not trust a valued guitar to the airline gorillas in one however if that's your plan then you probably need something better than your average hardcase anyway.

Here's what I do like about them. Lightweight, good strap system a la gig bag outer cordura type shell. Inner seals against wet and temperature changes way better than most hardshells. The expanded polysterene inner at first may give the impression of lacking strength but as in helmets made from the same material the energy absorption is vastly superior and I believe provides improved protection compared to a standard case.

If my L-03 hadn't come with a Larrivee case then I would have bought a Tric case no doubt.

Here's a link to a thread on this topic hope it helps: http://acousticguitarcabin.boards.net/thread/853/

And here's link to the Tric case website:https://godinguitars.com/tric.htm

Good luck
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity

Quote from: Gottaplay on May 23, 2019, 07:35:58 PMhere's link to the Tric case website:https://godinguitars.com/tric.htm

Tricky, isn't it.

The TRIC site makes reference to bicycle helmets, which can be a bit misleading as helmets are primarily concerned with concussion, while most guitar damage seems to come from hard-core hyper-extension trauma.

The crux of the biscuit seems to hover around the weight issue?

Gotta confess here as to knowing next to nothing about the science of kinetic energy but I`m pretty sure all of my motorcycle, bicycle and hockey helmets aren't made from thin plywood, quilt batting and crushed velvet. I`ve "tested" all of them more than I should have and I can still spell "Look Ma No Hands". So I guess they work pretty good.

Buy according to your needs. If you're hopping planes to play all over the place then no you need a more robust case than the Tric. If you're a solo singer songwriter driving yourself all over the continent then the Tric case is actually not too shabby and would be my preference over a standard Larrivee case. But that's just me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5sEIWlQO7A

Perhaps you're in the market for a knock off Calton>>something with a synthetic outer and foam inner?
2008 L-03
K&K On board Trinity