Back in the saddle...

Started by fitness1, March 03, 2019, 04:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadn't recorded anything in over a year - lots of life getting in the way and my heart just wasn't in it.

I recorded Stephen Bishop's "It Might Be You" this morning with some new mics and thought I should also get a new, more user friendly hosting site going, so I loaded a dozen or so other tunes on Soundcloud this morning as well and created a page.

Here's the Bishop tune:

https://soundcloud.com/fitness1-2/it-might-be-you-stephen-bishop-cover

Since I posted this tune, I've put up a bunch more on a Soundcloud page here:

https://soundcloud.com/fitness1-2
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Good job. Keep it up! I was lazy for several years and just got back into it. Rewarding, once it's done!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on March 03, 2019, 05:47:41 PM
Good job. Keep it up! I was lazy for several years and just got back into it. Rewarding, once it's done!

Thanks - the new mics are making it easier.   Did this one in about 90 minutes.  I suppose the next step is to start doing computer based recording.   Like the old Tascam 8 track too much though!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Such a pleasure to listen to.

Quote from: ryler on March 03, 2019, 07:06:14 PM
Such a pleasure to listen to.

Thanks so much!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 03, 2019, 09:33:34 PM
Nice performance.

Thanks Duck - hope you are staying warm up there!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

I've never heard that song before. Very Nice!!
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

Quote from: CycleBob on March 04, 2019, 05:59:12 AM
I've never heard that song before. Very Nice!!

Then you also have never seen the movie Tootsie. Beautiful voice Todd and well played!

Thought it was gonna be an Aerosmith cover  :tongue:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: fitness1 on March 04, 2019, 05:09:52 AM
Thanks Duck - hope you are staying warm up there!

Trying to. Colder than a well digger's *** this morning.  :beer

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 04, 2019, 06:24:26 AM
Then you also have never seen the movie Tootsie. Beautiful voice Todd and well played!

Thought it was gonna be an Aerosmith cover  :tongue:

Thanks - I could probably pull off "Seasons of Wither" for you!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: Queequeg on March 04, 2019, 09:45:29 AM
Good one, Todd.
:thumb

Thanks my friend!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: fitness1 on March 03, 2019, 05:54:41 PM
Thanks - the new mics are making it easier.   Did this one in about 90 minutes.  I suppose the next step is to start doing computer based recording.   Like the old Tascam 8 track too much though!
I don't like going straight into computer either. The Tascam DP 36 is what I use. Then if you need to you can easily pull tracks out individually and work on then on computer if you want, and then stick them back in. To mix down I come out analog, where I can use "hands on" faders during mix. Then thru USB interface into Sound Forge in computer, stereo. Then In sound Forge it's easy to do Limiting to just "pump it up" Or EQ the whole mix, normalization or whatever. You can do a ton of stuff but that's all I usually do. Occasionally add overall reverb beyond what I had in Tascam. I tried the "virtual" deal in computer but I like hands on plus big learning curve for old dog, to do in computer only. 

Quote from: flatlander on March 07, 2019, 11:05:27 AM
I don't like going straight into computer either. The Tascam DP 36 is what I use. Then if you need to you can easily pull tracks out individually and work on then on computer if you want, and then stick them back in. To mix down I come out analog, where I can use "hands on" faders during mix. Then thru USB interface into Sound Forge in computer, stereo. Then In sound Forge it's easy to do Limiting to just "pump it up" Or EQ the whole mix, normalization or whatever. You can do a ton of stuff but that's all I usually do. Occasionally add overall reverb beyond what I had in Tascam. I tried the "virtual" deal in computer but I like hands on plus big learning curve for old dog, to do in computer only. 

Dang - I'm tired just reading all of that!! :roll

I just get it adjusted on the Tascam, record it onto a CD (outboard Sony CD recorder) then upload it to my hard drive.   I never even learned how to use the USB functions (making it a "track" etc) - just manually fade in and out with the levels on the CD recorded.   I guess that makes me really old school :ph34r:
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

I use this. Pretty simple to use unless you want to really delve into it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9lwdnIbRl0

Quote from: fitness1 on March 07, 2019, 11:09:16 AM
Dang - I'm tired just reading all of that!! :roll

I just get it adjusted on the Tascam, record it onto a CD (outboard Sony CD recorder) then upload it to my hard drive.   I never even learned how to use the USB functions (making it a "track" etc) - just manually fade in and out with the levels on the CD recorded.   I guess that makes me really old school :ph34r:
Ha. No man. I probably made it sound more than what it is. Coming out of your board and mixing thru USB into computer is easy and no different than mixing straight on to CD. Hands on faders if needed etc. The difference is you have that mix, stereo, on your computer in a program. The program is SIMPLE to do things that make a BIG difference. The biggest, and often, usually, all I do, is apply the limiter to it. That brings everything up and adds a LOT of punch. You bring it up however much you tell it too, and set the level where it "limits" and keeps from overdriving.  It litterally takes about a minute. That also allows you to easily get a group of songs the same level.  Making it a "track" (2 chan stereo) is no more than recording it on to computer instead of CD.

I get a "track has been removed" message now on link.

Quote from: flatlander on March 07, 2019, 06:19:27 PM
I get a "track has been removed" message now on link.

Fixed it - I removed it and re-loaded it so it would be near the top.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Very nice. Espcially liked the vocals.