Oops...bought another Martin

Started by Mikeymac, March 01, 2019, 12:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An OM-21...from 2004.

I'll try a couple pics first, then say more...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Pics are from the seller - guitar will ship my direction tomorrow, probably arrive around Tuesday.

This thing has been sitting on Reverb for a very long time, and the price finally came down to a very good place (assuming there are no issues and the tone is decent). I've been talking off and on with the seller for a couple months about this, and finally decided to go for it.

I'll give a full review when it arrives.

Martin's 21 style guitars are basically 18 style guitars with rosewood b/s. This one has some bear claw in the top. Usually I'm not too crazy about that, but for the price and age, I'm okay with it. Also, as an older 21 style, it has a rosewood board and bridge (like older 18's did); they switched to ebony board and bridge a few years ago. It also already has open back Gotoh tuners, which I much prefer to the heavy closed back ones...

Oh... yeah... there will be a few things for sale soon...

Nice. You're going a little crazy though aren't you?   :wink:

I've found that the Martin 21 series is the most Larrivee-like of CFM's line. I played a D-21 that I really liked but my cousin went and bought it. Saved me from myself.

The OM-21 has always confused me.  For a while there was an OM-21 and an OM-21 Special, then I think they got rid of the Special and the new 21 is sort of a mix between the two.

Do these have scalloped or straight bracing?

Quote from: AZLiberty on March 03, 2019, 08:31:08 PM
The OM-21 has always confused me.  For a while there was an OM-21 and an OM-21 Special, then I think they got rid of the Special and the new 21 is sort of a mix between the two.

Do these have scalloped or straight bracing?

Martin's website says the current model has 1/4" scalloped braces. The one coming my way is a 2004 model, but I don't think the bracing pattern has changed on the smaller bodied models (unlike the dreadnoughts, which have all moved to forward shifted bracing, or forward shifted scalloped bracing (HD models).

Looking at Mike's Larrivee stable - what's likely to go  :? Surely not the '79 L-19  :?  :?  oooohhh wish I was a lefty  :smile:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 04, 2019, 06:19:19 AM
Looking at Mike's Larrivee stable - what's likely to go  :? Surely not the '79 L-19  :?  :?  oooohhh wish I was a lefty  :smile:

I can make it a righty again!!!! :wink:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on March 04, 2019, 10:38:05 AM

I can make it a righty again!!!! :wink:

LOL. That one's not leaving... maybe my Martin 000-15sm, and I still have a couple Ovations I need to sell...

Guitar arrived early Wednesday morning! But it was cold out, so ... wait... wait... wait...  :rolleye: :crying:

Finally opened the case late yesterday afternoon and tuned her up. First thing I noticed: she had strings from at least two different sets on her! The G string was 80/20 bronze, the rest of the wounds were PB; the B (or E?) was gold plated while the other was the standard silver color.

First task last night after Ash Wednesday service: string change and clean up (some light fingerprints here and there). Loosened the strings and the nut came loose, too!

So a couple drops of super glue and a string change later (along with lowering the E and B nut slots some), and I played her a little... I know we've had the discussion around here about whether or not guitars "wake up," but this one did! Maybe it was just the new strings settling in, but I don't think this guitar has been played for a while (he had it listed on Reverb for 11 months). So I do think it woke up a little.

It took about an hour of playing, setting her down, picking up another acoustic for comparison, then playing her some more. By bedtime, she was starting to sound pretty darn good. This morning when I picked her up and played her (after she'd been hanging in my humidified office all night with the other acoustics) she sounded even better.

Nice little 2004-ish OM-21 (S.N. 995xxx)  She sounds very different from my Larrivee OM-05 (Sitka / Hog), so they both have their place.

I know, I know - pics, or it didn't happen!

Sweet.......you are on a roll. Congrats!!! OM-21 is a lovely guitar.

I too got rid of all my other guitars and concentrate on Martins only.

Oooops just realised you sold it