Larrivee T-40 info

Started by willynelson13, February 22, 2019, 10:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From Larrivee's email list:   :cop:

Larrivée has just launched our new and cleverly designed TENOR T-40 Mahogany and T-40R Rosewood. This six string tenor features a slightly smaller body than our Parlor and O-Body size with a custom 22.8" scale and full 14 frets to the body. There is no decreased body depth which gives this cannon lots of room to breathe. This is a real #tonegenerator that will blow away any other guitar in its size.

Interesting, can't wait to hear one.
OM-01

Quote from: willynelson13 on February 22, 2019, 10:50:39 PM
Interesting, can't wait to hear one.

Likewise. I'm super interested given that the saddle spacing is listed as 2-1/4".

I don't see it as an actual tenor guitar which usually have four strings. We talked about it in an earlier thread and it seems more like a different instrument altogether. Kind of like a Terz. Agreed that it's very interesting. There's a video of a Tacoma Papoose on that thread that may give some idea of what it could sound like. 

Also reminiscent of the super short-scale Breedlove Passport C25T made some time back. Although like the Papoose, I believe the Breedlove was tuned A-A. I'm guessing the T-40 is standard tuning?

Quote from: noyage on February 23, 2019, 06:35:51 PM
Also reminiscent of the super short-scale Breedlove Passport C25T made some time back. Although like the Papoose, I believe the Breedlove was tuned A-A. I'm guessing the T-40 is standard tuning?

I believe it's also tuned higher or at least is intended to be tuned at least a third higher.

I would put heavy gauge strings on it and tune it lower to C. Pretty common for shorter scale guitars.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Here's a pic of the new T-40
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: rockstar_not on February 24, 2019, 07:19:37 AM
I would put heavy gauge strings on it and tune it lower to C. Pretty common for shorter scale guitars.

You might need some VERY HEAVY strings considering the short, short scale length (even shorter than a parlor).

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 02, 2019, 04:45:37 PM
You might need some VERY HEAVY strings considering the short, short scale length (even shorter than a parlor).

I'm thinking the exact opposite. Very light strings in order to tune them as high as intended.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 02, 2019, 07:36:58 PM
I'm thinking the exact opposite. Very light strings in order to tune them as high as intended.

Agree with you on that - maybe this guitar would work well for Nashville tuning...

...but he was talking about tuning it down low, and that doesn't make sense (to ME) with the shorter scale length.

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 03, 2019, 02:24:47 PM
Agree with you on that - maybe this guitar would work well for Nashville tuning...

...but he was talking about tuning it down low, and that doesn't make sense (to ME) with the shorter scale length.

Seems like it would kind of defeat the purpose. Yeah it would work well for Nashville but any guitar does. My Om-01 is my dedicated high string guitar as of a few months back.

This is more of a Terz... a short scale tuned to A.  I wonder if it was a mis-type on someones part.  Traditionally, Tenor guitars are 4 string tuned DGBe or CGDA (like a tenor banjo or mandola).

Ed

Larrivee website info on T-40:
T-40 News Release

IT'S SMALLER THAN A PARLOR!
March 16, 2019

Larrivée has just launched our new and cleverly designed T-40 Mahogany and T-40R Rosewood. This six string tenor size guitar has a slightly smaller body than our Parlor and O-Body, featuring a custom 22.8" scale, full 14 frets to the body and built for standard tuning. There is no decreased body depth which gives this cannon lots of room to breathe. This is a real #tonegenerator that will blow away any other guitar in its size. For complete images and specs, click here.

Standard on all Larrivées, T models will feature all solid wood construction, true hand-fit dovetail neck joints for superior fit, finish and tone, and of course, built in America. Tenor models will ship with soft shell travel case and start at $1658 MSRP for Mahogany. Available in all top and back combinations. Contact your dealer for custom order. First run will begin shipping this June.
OM-01

Quote from: willynelson13 on March 20, 2019, 03:34:59 PM

Larrivée has just launched our new and cleverly designed T-40 Mahogany and T-40R Rosewood. This six string tenor size guitar has a slightly smaller body than our Parlor and O-Body, featuring a custom 22.8" scale, full 14 frets to the body and built for standard tuning.

:donut :coffee