Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snowed in and going crazy  (Read 99 times)
Paraclete

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »

Well, the great green PNW didn’t escape without winter after all.  I haven’t measured it, but guessing there’s at least a foot to 15” total.  So I’m more or less snowed in, at a friend’s house with nothing better to do than play guitar.  Going a bit crazy from cabin fever and not working, but hey, my classical guitar is getting quite the workout!  How are the rest of you fairing these days? Forum seems a bit quiet.   

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »

Just a few miles north of the 49th parallel, same coast, at least 16-18 inches since Sunday noon. The first foot was on Sunday afternoon-evening. Been snowing lightly off and on since then.

Played out on Sunday night. Have been laying low since then. Chillin'.

The view from the gig - early evening. We got another 3-4 inches before I left.

* WP_20190210_21_38_10_Panorama.jpg (233.14 KB, 2659x751 - viewed 4 times.)

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:42:52 PM »

First sunny day in a week,kinda cool out.Really glad for a day off of rain.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:11:46 PM »

A foot to fifteen inches? Ha! You call that snowed in? Apparently, we average 64 inches a year.  

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Ontario/Places/thunder-bay-snowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:45:45 AM »

A foot to fifteen inches? Ha! You call that snowed in? Apparently, we average 64 inches a year.  

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Ontario/Places/thunder-bay-snowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php

Yes, but we have a lot of steep hills.  And because we don’t even get snow every year, the cities and counties do not have the equipment or the budget to adequately deal with the mess.  Trying to drive up a steep incline on 8+ inches of unplowed snow on top of ice is challenging for even a good 4WD with heavy duty tires.  Heck, this stupidly “green” city sprays beet juice on the roads.

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »

Everything is relative, as they say. 15" of snow is a lot no matter where you are, though, and without the proper equipment it can sure bring things to a halt. In Michigan, of course, we deal with that for 5 months or so every year. Snow brushes/ice scrapers in the back seat are a fact of life, snowblowers in the garage and in my case my own little snow plow. And snow shovels...lots of shovels. We got 25" in two days a couple of years ago, and I can remember years ago when living in our Upper Peninsula, we got 4 ft. in three days. Most recently we had near blizzard conditions Tuesday and over a foot of snow Tuesday-Wednesday and freezing rain is forecast today. And the funny thing is...we love it here! Spring is, however, always welcomed by the time it gets here. 

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »

Yes, but we have a lot of steep hills.  And because we don’t even get snow every year, the cities and counties do not have the equipment or the budget to adequately deal with the mess.  Trying to drive up a steep incline on 8+ inches of unplowed snow on top of ice is challenging for even a good 4WD with heavy duty tires.  Heck, this stupidly “green” city sprays beet juice on the roads.

You're describing my driveway. I won't even get into the ten miles of winding, mountainous road that leads from the highway to it. This area of Ontario is is not prairie. I live at Mink Mountain which rises six hundred feet above us (in our back yard basically).
I was in town yesterday and the city of Thunder Bay is having trouble with snow removal. Running out of places to put it. Snow banks are taking over. Main streets are down to a lane and a half. My friend's street is down to one lane. It's snowing again this morning. Spring can't come soon enough. We may all die first!    
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »

Ha!  Yes, eventually there is no more room to put the snow!  I spent a couple winters in NW Iowa when I was in college.  The snow was less of a deal than the bitter cold.  Definitely don’t miss that!  I really don’t know how any of you manage to put up with the serious winters year after year.  But then again maybe we Pacific Northwesterners are a bit soft.   

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »

Until last Sunday, this was funny.

* Vancouver Snowman.jpg (69.2 KB, 544x599 - viewed 0 times.)

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »

Ha!  Yes, eventually there is no more room to put the snow!  I spent a couple winters in NW Iowa when I was in college.  The snow was less of a deal than the bitter cold.  Definitely don’t miss that!  I really don’t know how any of you manage to put up with the serious winters year after year.  But then again maybe we Pacific Northwesterners are a bit soft.   

Believe me, it's getting more difficult every year. It's amazing what you can live with when you're not given a choice, however. As we say, "Northwestern Ontario, where men are men and women are too!"   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: