Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truss Rods in Larrivées  (Read 793 times)
skyline

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »

Has there ever been a definitive post on Truss Rods - U.S. vs Canadian builds, which years, single vs double, etc . . .

Are they all now double-action?

It seems that my Parlour has been produced just before the double action truss rod has been introduced in the USA factory (sometime in 2010).

At one point they were single action?

they use a single action truss rod.

Was there a set time or model where they changed?

Is there any sane way to tell?
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »

You should contact Larrivee.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »

1967 > 1985 = Static non-adjustable truss rod.

1985 > 2008 = Single action truss rod.

2008 > present = Dual action truss rod.

Of course there were crossover periods while supplies were used up. For instance, we had an overstock of Parlor single action truss rods when we switched to dual action. So the Parlors were still single action for some time after 2008. Same with 00's and other 12 fretters. The glossy guitars got the dual action first while the satins used up the remaining single action. By 2010 everything was dual action.
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »

1967 > 1985 = Static non-adjustable truss rod.

1985 > 2008 = Single action truss rod.

2008 > present = Dual action truss rod.

Of course there were crossover periods while supplies were used up. For instance, we had an overstock of Parlor single action truss rods when we switched to dual action. So the Parlors were still single action for some time after 2008. Same with 00's and other 12 fretters. The glossy guitars got the dual action first while the satins used up the remaining single action. By 2010 everything was dual action.

Thank you!

I started to track through searches on the forums but there were too many and dates were not always clear.

You should contact Larrivee.
Rob, you apparently have some kind of wireless link going . . .  
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »

That's why we love this site. Thanks John!   
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:39:48 AM »

John,

All of my Larrivees (except the 1976 Classical of course)  have single action rods, and adjust normally (right = tighten)

Do the dual-action rods adjust the other way (left to tighten) or do they adjust the same direction as the single action>

J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:29:45 PM »

John,

All of my Larrivees (except the 1976 Classical of course)  have single action rods, and adjust normally (right = tighten)

Do the dual-action rods adjust the other way (left to tighten) or do they adjust the same direction as the single action>

Yes the dual actions tighten both ways. There is a slack position as well. Clockwise sends the neck back, counterclockwise brings the neck forward. Rods are installed during the build at slack position. Generally during final setup, they will need to be sent back slightly to accommodate string tension.
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »

Couple of videos you may find instructive if you've seldom been 'under the hood' yourself.
single or double truss rod

What's wrong with this truss rod?
Uniblab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 05:56:12 AM »

Couple of videos you may find instructive if you've seldom been 'under the hood' yourself.
single or double truss rod

What's wrong with this truss rod?

Great videos! Thanks for posting. The 1st one really helps me visualized what's going on in there.
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »

there were crossover periods while supplies were used up. For instance, we had an overstock of Parlor single action truss rods when we switched to dual action. So the Parlors were still single action for some time after 2008. Same with 00's and other 12 fretters.

Reasonably sure the Forum IV were single action. Mine's saddle height was a bit low and the nut couldn't be raised to help that

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44 • Larrivee OO-03 SS • Taylor 322ce • Gretch 9521 • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: