Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice before buying  (Read 312 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »

We own very similar guitars. Amber RS-4's with Lollars. i have never played a nicer, better sounding electric guitar. Well done sir!      
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 05:59:19 AM »

The link doesn't seem to work. I can't say enough about the RS-4 if you can find one. Magnifique! Look under road signs.    

Actually, I know where you can find one. 

https://musicworldacademy.com/collections/specials/products/rs4gtrh_larrivee-rs4-electric-guitar-with-hardshell-case-gold-top

from another post in the acoustic forum....

"Nice sign"      whistling

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 02:51:19 PM »

from another post in the acoustic forum....

"Nice sign"      whistling

The sign at NAMM or Music World?   
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »

It was the comment you made "Nice Door" on the other forum.... whistling

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »

It was the comment you made "Nice Door" on the other forum.... whistling

DOH! Okay I just got it. You confused me with the link.  blush

You find the darnedest things under road signs.   

* 10402818_10153016394971936_4297134377291831128_n.jpg (38.67 KB, 600x600 - viewed 5 times.)

* Strat on Strat Rd..gif (118.44 KB, 600x893 - viewed 4 times.)
DarkskyZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »

Just got my RS-4 back from the luthier. Setup properly with my usual strings. What a beast of a guitar it is. I still am so surprised of how good it sounds !

A quick question, my luthier noticed that the nut was some kind of synthetic bone (aka plastic) and cut a bit too low thus partly causing my fret buzz. He offered to replace it with a bone nut which I gladly asked him to do. I am now wondering, why would Larrivée install a plastic nut on such guitars while there doesn't seem to be any cost cutting at all ?

Just wondering out loud here but still don't get it. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »

Just got my RS-4 back from the luthier. Setup properly with my usual strings. What a beast of a guitar it is. I still am so surprised of how good it sounds !

A quick question, my luthier noticed that the nut was some kind of synthetic bone (aka plastic) and cut a bit too low thus partly causing my fret buzz. He offered to replace it with a bone nut which I gladly asked him to do. I am now wondering, why would Larrivée install a plastic nut on such guitars while there doesn't seem to be any cost cutting at all ?

Just wondering out loud here but still don't get it. 

It's likely Tusq. Many makers actually prefer it for consistency. Since it's a used guitar, who knows what has happened to it since it left the factory. Replace it if you like. The bone won't necessarily work better. Larrivee did not skimp on materials making these guitars. IMO.

http://graphtech.com/support/faq/tusq-faq
DarkskyZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 07:15:49 PM »

Thanks.

I didn't mean to say Larrivée skimped on anything in anyway, that is the opposite in fact (my poor English probably betrayed me once more). I know as a fact that the RS-4 features top notch hardware and all so I was genuinely wondering why a "plastic" like nut was put instead of a bone one. And by why I was thinking of the technical side of things, not the cost.
You are probably right about the nut material being some kind of high tech stuff, in my case it had been cut too low  so it needed replacement anyway so now bone it is.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:28 PM »

Thanks.

I didn't mean to say Larrivée skimped on anything in anyway, that is the opposite in fact (my poor English probably betrayed me once more). I know as a fact that the RS-4 features top notch hardware l all so I was genuinely wondering why a "plastic" like nut was put instead of a bone one. And by why I was thinking of the technical side of things, not the cost.
You are probably right about the nut material being some kind of high tech stuff, in my case it had been cut too low  so it needed replacement anyway so now bone it is.

Pas de problem. When you're making a lot of guitars, it's often easier to use something like Tusq so that you can better control outcome especially for nuts. Saddles? I would prefer bone on my acoustics but in most cases, replacing a saddle is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix. Tusq is a pretty good material, however. I've done blind comparisons and it's difficult to choose what's better, what's best. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: