Looking for advice before buying

Started by DarkskyZ, January 31, 2019, 10:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all,

First of all, please excuse my poor English as I am French and English is my second language. That said, I do my best so please don't hit me with a stick  :bgrin:

So, I just sold a niceish Mexican Fender Jaguar I rarely played and I am looking for a new guitar, you know, just to fill the empty spot on the wall...
I do own a '17 Gibson SG Faded which I never should have bought as it is so bad and an American Special Tele I got a few weeks ago and which I love but I am in the market for some LP style guitar. I say style because seing what kind of piece of garbage Gibson puts its name on these days, I don't want to any more money on Gibsons (because you know, I would love to have a multi thousands $ LP but I just can't...)

So at first I looked at LP copies, mostly vintage Japanese (think Greco, Ibanez, Burny) and, completely randomly, I discovered the Larrivée RS-2 and RS-4 which I really do like the look of.

Having looked around in the shops which have a website here, I managed to source a near mint (looks like so anyway) RS-2 "junior" with one P90 in flat black. Around 900€ ($1000) shipped to me.
I don't yet have my own playing style as I mostly (try to) play famous songs I like as a bedroom player. I mostly play rock/hard rock but nothing metal.
So I am wondering if I should jump for this "junior" or not. I had my eyed on vintage Junior LPs at one point but never actually played a single pickup guitar. I have read here (spent a few hours browsing this forum) that the bridge P90 on RS-2s can be a bit deceiving.

I guess I am in need of some kind of nudge to let go and order but any opinion would be really appreciated for sure. Anybody owning a single pickup RS-2 ?

Or maybe if you happen to have some kind of link to a nice RS-2 or 4 available in Europe  :tongue:

Thanks

Bienvenue et salut. Regarding RS-4 and RS-2. They are very nice guitars. Attendez le meilleur avec pas des regrets.  Maintenant, ou est mon bâton? My French is worse than your English.   :beer

Mais sure! what he said. Larrivee tres tres bon.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Well, thank you  :smile:

What would you think about this one ?
on reverb

Any way to know what the pickups actually are ? Larrivee or not ?
Thanks again

Quote from: DarkskyZ on January 31, 2019, 06:03:30 PM
Well, thank you  :smile:

What would you think about this one ?
on reverb

Any way to know what the pickups actually are ? Larrivee or not ?
Thanks again

The link doesn't seem to work. I can't say enough about the RS-4 if you can find one. Magnifique! Look under road signs.   :winkin:  

Actually, I know where you can find one. 

https://musicworldacademy.com/collections/specials/products/rs4gtrh_larrivee-rs4-electric-guitar-with-hardshell-case-gold-top

there's a nice larrivee RS4 gold top on kijiji in Montreal for sale. good price.
great guitar.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/ville-de-montreal/case-queen-larrivee-rs-4-usa-telecaster-wow/1412297329?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Like over 50?

Sorry for the bad link, here it is : correct reverb link.

The price seems to be fairly high if I add shipping from the UK to France but to be honest I don't really know the usual prices on theses.

That gold top RS-4 looks good ! It is sadly on the wrong side of the pond for me.

Quote from: DarkskyZ on February 01, 2019, 01:29:12 AM
Sorry for the bad link, here it is : correct reverb link.

The price seems to be fairly high if I add shipping from the UK to France but to be honest I don't really know the usual prices on theses.

That gold top RS-4 looks good ! It is sadly on the wrong side of the pond for me.

Beautiful. Just like the one I own. Pricey for used though. I know the gold top store ships world wide, however. It is new, old stock and a better price before shipping. You can always contact them and see how it would go.    

I talked one of my English friend into calling them for a best price + shipping quote. Let's see what happens.
Seeing this one just makes me not want to go for the single PU flat black RS-2, different beast for sure.

Quote from: DarkskyZ on February 01, 2019, 07:06:46 AM
I talked one of my English friend into calling them for a best price + shipping quote. Let's see what happens.
Seeing this one just makes me not want to go for the single PU flat black RS-2, different beast for sure.

If you can get it, I think you will be very pleased. Here's a great description. 

https://www.12fret.com/new-instruments/all_new_instruments/larrivee-rs-4-solidbody-electric-guitar/

One thing to remember (which no one has mentioned yet in this conversation) is that the RS-4 (or RS-2) will not sound exactly like a Les Paul (or Jr.). The main reason is the different scale length: Larrivees are 25.5" scale versus the 24.75" scale of the Gibsons. This lends a slightly brighter, more open (less thick and chunky) tone to the Larrivees.

They are wonderful guitars - I regret selling my RootBeer burst RS-4 (but have replaced it). But not EXACTLY like a Gibson in feel and tone.  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Well, that's it. It is now shipping to me at a much better price. My friend has been a fine negotiator.

And the thing is, if it does really suit me, the RS-2 single P90 is still available so I may get it too. Who knows  :laughin:

I'll post pics when I get my hands on it. Thanks for your much needed nudge on me.

RS-4 owners are pretty committed to these guitars.

Reminds me of that old "changeable" joke.

You can always tell a "Martin" owner..........

not much,
but you can always tell one.

(substitute your choice of guitar or car or camera brand) :yawn
Like over 50?

Quote from: DarkskyZ on February 01, 2019, 11:35:48 AM
Well, that's it. It is now shipping to me at a much better price. My friend has been a fine negotiator.

And the thing is, if it does really suit me, the RS-2 single P90 is still available so I may get it too. Who knows  :laughin:

I'll post pics when I get my hands on it. Thanks for your much needed nudge on me.

awesome, welcome the "club".
Sometimes, in the case there was a "special" ring.
It goes with the secret handshake, that a few of us around here might share.  :roll :?
Like over 50?

These Larrivée RS series are quite uncommon if not rare beauties and honestly I couldn't read anything bad on them (while on Gibsons...).
I have been reading and watching videos of Jean and the Larrivée brand since yesterday, I knew the name for sure but not the man. I am very impressed.

I am wondering a few things regarding the RS now though :

• where is the trussrod adjustment "thing" on these ?
  • any price list of when they were available to retailers and maybe some promo documents from that time available somewhere ? Just out of curiosity.

It should, hopefully, be here on Monday. Can't wait.

Thanks

Truss rod adjust (rarely needed) is under a small piece of black foam after  the last fret on the finger board.
small wheel thing in there. go easy if you must adjust- I have two Rs4's never needed to adjust, the build quality is very good in that regard.
I notice yours has a one piece and nicely figured back of mahogany- cap is Maple as you are aware.

depending on the build date, you should be able to find out if the pick ups are Lollar Imperials (initially) or Matt Larrivee's wonderful PAF replicas in that guitar.
Either way, it's a beautiful thing and you'll certainly enjoy it.

Congrats!
Like over 50?

Thanks again headsup  :thumbsup

Just got an email from the shop, won't be here on Monday but will be shipped on Monday. The two lovely sales people (small mom and pop shop as it seems)  told me that this has been their favorite guitar in the shop for a while. That says something for a shop actually stocking Gibsons LP R8, 59 CS reissues, CS Fenders and high end PRS. This makes the wait even more unbearable  :winkin:

Anyway... the wait begins !   :roll

And the beauty just came in. I'll post pictures in the evening hopefully.
But yet, WOW, just WOW. Such a high level of attention to detail and the sound... oh the sound...
I will have to check which pickups I got (Lollars or Larrivée ???), I don't want to tear them apart just yet, I'll try to guess through impedance. If you happen to know the impedance readings of your RS-4 hum buckers, please tell me.

Now I may be putting some money aside to get the P90 RS2 I found  :roll
Maybe...

Pictures :

I guess the SG is going to be sacrificed very soon...  :whistling:

Bridge pickup : 8.22 KOhms
Neck pickup : 7.52 KOhms

One more thing, I broke a string so I decided to go on and change the whole set. This allowed me to check the pickup which are Lollars Imperial dated from 2008. Nice !

Weird thing then, the guitar was setup (I asked for it) for 10-46 gauge strings. I installed a fresh set of Daddario 10-46 Nickel wound. I usually favour locking tuners but I don't want to alter this guitar so I used the factory Schaller tuners. Problem is now my low E string buzzes as hell on the first fret. It was playing like a dream with the previous set of strings  :?

I was so happy with the idea of having quality time with this guitar in the next few days, now I guess I am in for a luthier trip. Which I won't have time for anytime soon.  :crying: