Larrivee P05 buzzing issues, TRUSS ROD not working !!!! Help!

Started by nocaster, January 31, 2019, 08:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everybody,

I own a 2nd P05 which was very good sounding for the first 6 months, then few month ago, started buzzing  very strongly (sitar effect) at the high E, B and G, mainly first 3 to 5 frets. No issue with open strings (nut is ok).
I have 0,12 John Pearse on it.

Frets seems to be in a good shape (some worn out effect, but still more than 80%), they're not lifted at all.

Went to the guitar doctor, he tried to work on the truss rod and he found that it is engagin when turned clockwise, whilst counterclockwise it does not engage, it turns but sounds like it's come to the end, free turning.
The neck has almost no relief, very flat.

Conclusion: truss rod is not working properly, no chance to give some relief to the neck, so he said to try to change to 0,13 (DONE, no change).
There are 2 possibilities to him:
1. reduce frets height so to give more space between string and frets (all the fingerboard)
if it does not work:
2. remove frets, plane the fingerboard, refret.
He does not guarantee 100% recovering.

My questions to you:
any body with the same issue in teh past, and how they have fixed?
how is possible that the truss rod is not working? Is it a factory defect or sometghing which could have been caused by something else and what?

What do you recommend to do?
I love the guitar, I am available to spend some money to recover, but I definitely need a guarantee that she will come back to me as she used to be, not just 70-80%

thanks!

The rods are duel action and should engage in both direction,have your tech double check the counterclockwize sometime's it take's a bit before it engages.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on January 31, 2019, 09:47:52 AM
The rods are duel action and should engage in both direction,have your tech double check the counterclockwize sometime's it take's a bit before it engages.

thanks for the comments.
Actually, the counterclockwise action is not hard at all, it is too easy to turn, so that my tech was afraid that the nut could be falling off

Quote from: nocaster on February 01, 2019, 12:08:17 PM
thanks for the comments.
Actually, the counterclockwise action is not hard at all, it is too easy to turn, so that my tech was afraid that the nut could be falling off

I've had that happen in guitars where the rod gets loose and the buzzing is obnoxious. I believe StewMac has a video or tow on youtube about this and how to fix it.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I have contacted Larrivee and they have been prompt in responding on saturday and sunday (!!!).
It seems that my Parlour has been produced just before the double action truss rod has been introduced in the USA factory (sometime in 2010).
They also confirmed that the factory installed strings on parlours are 0.13.
Finally, they said that it is likely that the guitar needs to be moisturized for a while.

Any experience with dry guitars where the first high strings at the first frets are buzzing?

Any further guidance?

It seems that my Parlour has been produced just before the double action truss rod has been introduced in the USA factory (sometime in 2010).

I had a hunch about that as I seemed to have had a similar issue with the Forum IV.

I think Larrivee's advice is your best bet at getting it back to normal. I don't know much about humidifying guitars other than to try steaming the thing in the bathroom via hot water from the shower. That might take a few sessions to notice a difference. I'm doubtful that Dampits in a case would give off enough moisture over a short time to fix it - that's more of a maintenance thing that you might consider doing.

Also, I'm wondering why a temporary shim for the saddle wouldn't work to stop the buzzing thru the winter, then remove it when things get back to normal. You could make that a seasonal routine along with going up to 13s to pull the neck up some. 

All my humble opinion, I'm no luthier . . .

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/saddleshim.asp
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: nocaster on February 04, 2019, 07:30:40 AM

They also confirmed that the factory installed strings on parlours are 0.13.

Any further guidance?

This is only partially true.  The parlors currently ship with 13's,  they originally shipped with 12s.  Mine (from 1999) came with 12's.  I've tried 13's and the heavier strings suck the life out of the small body.

Larrivee Tech Service wrote in their email: "All Larrivée parlors are setup at the factory for 13's. This gauge is recommended for driving the soundboard of a Parlor. Specifically D'Addario EXP17 13-56's".
My P05 from 2010 arrived with 0,13.
I moved to 0,12 for a while, now went back to 0,13 trying to apply extra stretch to the neck....

Quote from: jpmist on February 04, 2019, 10:09:06 AM

I don't know much about humidifying guitars other than to try steaming the thing in the bathroom via hot water from the shower. That might take a few sessions to notice a difference. I'm doubtful that Dampits in a case would give off enough moisture over a short time to fix it - that's more of a maintenance thing that you might consider doing.
I would highly recommend NOT steaming it in the bathroom. Rapid change not good. For one thing it will also rapidly lose that excess water after sauna and that can cause cracks.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

update: I have removed the saddle and have installed a new one (bone) slgilty higher and used 0.13 JP.
Buzz disappeared, fro the moment, but the playability as butter which was when the 0,12 were on, is LOST.

When trying to lower string tension to improve playability by tuning 1 tone below, the buzz comes back again.

I have visitred 2 luthiers (one of them installed the above mentioned saddle).
Both have the advice that the next step could be removing frets, level down the fingerboard and reinstall frets so to recover the relief in this way.
Another option could be just leveling frets in a similar shape, but not with the same success, it could recover a 50%.
Last: removing fingerboard, check truss rod, possibly install a double action and give the neck a little upbow prior gluing.

:ohmy:   
Quote from: nocaster on March 15, 2019, 04:15:13 PM
update: I have removed the saddle and have installed a new one (bone) slgilty higher and used 0.13 JP.
Buzz disappeared, fro the moment, but the playability as butter which was when the 0,12 were on, is LOST.

When trying to lower string tension to improve playability by tuning 1 tone below, the buzz comes back again.

I have visitred 2 luthiers (one of them installed the above mentioned saddle).
Both have the advice that the next step could be removing frets, level down the fingerboard and reinstall frets so to recover the relief in this way.
Another option could be just leveling frets in a similar shape, but not with the same success, it could recover a 50%.
Last: removing fingerboard, check truss rod, possibly install a double action and give the neck a little upbow prior gluing.

Find a tech that knows what there talking about,those suggestions are just friggin stupid.I can't tell you how to move foward as I don't have it in hand,First set the action at saddle you want.Then get the releif right,again find some one who knows what there doing.You may need a fret dressing and recrown but check with some one who really knows what there doing.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

When my guitar tech first checked my LV 09, he kept turning and turning the truss rod nut, to the point he thought it broken, but then with another turn or two it started to snug up...maybe your tech got fooled like mine almost did...tho I've never met him, I'd listen to the barefoot guy...

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on March 15, 2019, 06:51:58 PM
:ohmy:   

Find a tech that knows what there talking about,those suggestions are just friggin stupid.I can't tell you how to move foward as I don't have it in hand,First set the action at saddle you want.Then get the releif right,again find some one who knows what there doing.You may need a fret dressing and recrown but check with some one who really knows what there doing.
:smile:    :thumb   I'm glad you said that. I don't really have the authority but certainly what I was thinking. Sounded like having a bad tire so get new wheels,. axle and suspension.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.