Forum participation (not just this one) - to rebound?

Started by JOYCEfromNS, January 14, 2019, 07:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Short interesting article HERE

How do you see it  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

To me, the main difference between a forum and Facebook is that I can more easily avoid topics that don't interest me on a forum. Whereas Facebook just keeps piling things up that I have to ignore. Facebook is like one big messed up topic. Hmmm, sort of like the thread ender topic?  :blush:  :winkin:

I don't have a facebook acount nor do I want one.My better half has one and I use it to check on our duo page and my duo partners stuff and the electric band he fronts and I do sound for.Had to miss yesterdays gig dew to a ruptured hernia,can lift gear or pull mic cable's right now...hell just sneezing and coughing is an adventure in pain.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on January 14, 2019, 10:06:03 PM
Had to miss yesterdays gig dew to a ruptured hernia,can lift gear or pull mic cable's right now...hell just sneezing and coughing is an adventure in pain.

And your doctor's appointment/surgery is when??? I knew a guy who knew a guy who's neighbor knew a guy who let that go and it didn't do anything but get worse. Much worse.
But to the main topic, I don't do much of either. Social media, to me, is an occasional tool to see what friends and family are up to as well as an occasional laugh at some of the outrageous things that get posted...both good and bad. This is the only forum in which I participate, and while it started because of a guitar...
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Facebook? Where else can I post pictures of our dogs and get so many, "Ahs" and "beautifuls"?

That IS a cool looking dog.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Novelty wears off
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: flatlander on January 15, 2019, 07:59:32 AM
That IS a cool looking dog.

Arrow. 1 1/2 year old Blue Belton English Setter. Just a great dog! Going to be a champion but we'll love him anyway.   

I manage communications for a musical social group. Half of the members choose Facebook as their interface to the world. I run a private mailing list for the other half because they want nothing to do with Facebook.

I also promote that group through various channels on Facebook. There's a lot of cheerful chatter, but not much substance. I begrudge the time I spend on Facebook because the return for invested time is so poor.

I like forums because the signal to noise ratio better. While I have no doubt Google and others are scraping the forums for information, I'm more willing to accept that as the fare for the ride. Facebook - well as they say, if you're not paying for the product - you are the product.

I never dipped my toe into the FB pool and with each passing day I read the news and gather more good reasons for staying out.
But, dang, that's a fine looking dawg.

I have heard many positive stories of people finding long-lost friends/relatives via "social media". Maybe someone in the open-source world can come up with a "find-some-folks" app/site that isn't so intrusive/abusive.

Forums remain the only way to share specific technical information reliably, and if they're attached to a real website - so much better.  I can't imagine tracking down a product description on the Facebook sites that some companies insist on using. And the whole idea of having algorithms as moderators is a little precious . . .