OM-40R

Started by guitargeak99, December 20, 2018, 04:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,
First time poster and first time Larrivee owner.
A while back I played one of these and I was very impressed. Until then I'd never played any Larrivee, but I knew of them.
This thing sounded great. I posted a thread over on the AGF, and there was a lot of praise.
Long story short, I bought a new one from Shoreline under a recent Black Friday sale. Free shipping and free set up.
Wailed on it every day - a cannon, but I'm used to the easy play of my short scale Taylor 12 Fret. So I threw some lights
on it and I can't put this thing down. I posted a review on Shoreline that I like, "Pry it from my cold dead hands".

Very simple appointments on this, but it is so well crafted.
I'm proud as hell of it.

Cheers
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

Congratulations guitargeak99 the OM-40's are a hell of a guitar!

:welcome:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

You're ahead of me on this model.  I haven't played a -40 and would love to.  Congratulations on your joy!  Most happy for you.  Shoreline is great to deal with.  I only get strings from them, but I really like the  company.  Welcome to this forum.

I was playing an OM40 last week. Enjoy a sweet guitar.  :welcome:
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Good to hear this experience. I have had a OOO-40R and a OO-40R.
I thinned out my herd, but one of my best friends has the OO-40R do I still play it when I visit him.
  Post some pics if you have the time.

My OM-40M has become my favorite all around guitar. Have you ever played a standard Larrivee? They're just as special in their own way, as well, but there's something about the 40 that suits my ears. Enjoy!  :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :coffee 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

I have seen a few Larrivees in music stores, but never had a chance to play one.
They looked like they were really nice guitars, though.
Even though my OM-40R does not have a gloss finish, it is so clean. The craftsmanship is so evident- looking through the sound hole I cannot see any hint of glue or splinters on any braces. Very neat and tidy.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

:welcome: :nice guitar:

Congrats on a great guitar!

An OM-40 is on my short list.

:gotpics:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I put lights :nice guitar: on mine too and I absolutely love it.
Mine is a Moon Spruce and walnut b&s though.
LV-03R VANLTD 2013
OM-40WL Moon Spruce 2017
Fender American Elite  2016
Godin Session 2016

My Family.....

The OM-40R: From the satin finish and wood binding, to the bone nut and intonated bone saddle, this guitar has very simple appointments and the clean workmanship is immediately apparent.
The wide ratio tuners are the bomb and the bride pins are bone - yes they are, and confirmed by my luthier.

Even though Shoreline has its own on-site luthier that does a complimentary set-up, I still took this to my luthier is Sac (Arnie Gamble). He did not have to do much to this, but he can really dial in the nut slots to make a guitar so easy to play.
He set it up with the John Pearse PB light strings that were on it - when I picked it up he commented on how loud this guitar is.

-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

Congrats,   :welcome: :nice guitar: Enjoy that guitar for years. :donut :donut2 :coffee
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Very nice OM, congratulations on your new guitar.

My SD40 is strung with 12-56, light tops/medium bottoms. I am still thinking about ordering a custom D40R with a moon spruce top, large soundhole, and 1 3/4" nut. 

My OM 40R, costum, 2015. I'm really impresed about this guitar.

Hey, that's to be envied.  Nice looking guitar.

"iring", very nice.

Tell about it: It's a 2015 custom? What's different, how does it sound, when did you get it?

Mine isn't even broke in yet. Even though these guitars are braced for mediums, light strings can drive the top easy.
I usually go with John Pearse strings, but I'm currently experimenting with Ernie Ball strings - they seem to size their strings just a little smaller, so the string tension is a little less and play-ability is easier.

So far it likes the Ernie Ball Alum Bronze strings in med/light (12 16 24 32 44 54). Easy to play and freaking loud when digging in with a pick.
I have some of the exact strings to try later, except in Phos Bronze.
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

Hi, I've got this om 40r a month ago. I played it for the first time a three monts ago and when I first touch it, I know that this must be mine in the future. So, I make a deal with my friend and now is mine. It sounds very fresh and deep and it is very easy to play. I use Martin 0'12 strings. For now it seems to be a good chose. This guitar is normal OM 40R model with custom torch inlay on headstock.

Quote from: iring on January 21, 2019, 09:48:52 AM
Hi, I've got this om 40r a month ago. I played it for the first time a three monts ago and when I first touch it, I know that this must be mine in the future. So, I make a deal with my friend and now is mine. It sounds very fresh and deep and it is very easy to play. I use Martin 0'12 strings. For now it seems to be a good chose. This guitar is normal OM 40R model with custom torch inlay on headstock.

Congrats - sounds like a great find.

And (whispering) - don't tell anyone, but I like Martin strings on my Larrivees...  :whistling:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: guitargeak99 on January 05, 2019, 05:39:56 PM
My Family.....

The OM-40R: From the satin finish and wood binding, to the bone nut and intonated bone saddle, this guitar has very simple appointments and the clean workmanship is immediately apparent.
The wide ratio tuners are the bomb and the bride pins are bone - yes they are, and confirmed by my luthier.

Nice family photo! Those engraved tuner buttons are sweet, I assume tuners are open backed?

Been checking in with you on AGF, welcome to forum!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on January 22, 2019, 01:27:15 PM
Nice family photo! Those engraved tuner buttons are sweet, I assume tuners are open backed?

Been checking in with you on AGF, welcome to forum!

Thanks. The tuners are open back and they are really nice.
I can't remeber their ratio, but you can really dial in the string pitch with ease.

I'm still playing with strings. I currently have D'addario NB on it - meh......doesn't sound bad, but the overtones are subdued. And overtones are the reason I got a spruce/rosewood.
Even though everyone  always extols the virtues of Elixer, D'addario, & Martin strings (the big 3), I decided to branch out and try some Ernie Ball AB's in med/light. These strings in light gauge are awesome on my Taylor 12 Fret. They are a tad bright on the Larry, so I'll try the Ernies in PB next. I also like how the Ernies size their strings.....med/lights are 12-54 and lights are 11-52. Lighter string tension, easier to play, and still loud.
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

Quote from: guitargeak99 on January 23, 2019, 11:34:44 AM
Thanks. The tuners are open back and they are really nice.
I can't remeber their ratio, but you can really dial in the string pitch with ease.

I'm still playing with strings. I currently have D'addario NB on it - meh......doesn't sound bad, but the overtones are subdued. And overtones are the reason I got a spruce/rosewood.
Even though everyone  always extols the virtues of Elixer, D'addario, & Martin strings (the big 3), I decided to branch out and try some Ernie Ball AB's in med/light. These strings in light gauge are awesome on my Taylor 12 Fret. They are a tad bright on the Larry, so I'll try the Ernies in PB next. I also like how the Ernies size their strings.....med/lights are 12-54 and lights are 11-52. Lighter string tension, easier to play, and still loud.

Ok, I tried the Ernie Ball PB's in med/light......they were ok. In a blind test I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between them and D'Addario or JP strings.
Then I went with some JP PB's in custom light (12-55) that I had laying around. Same thing.....they were so so, and felt like the string tension was more than the Ernies.

Right now I'm trying out some Ernie 80/20's in med/light and I might have struck gold.
Even though the strings gauges are similar (or same) as the others, the Ernies just seem to have a lower string tension that makes fretting noticeably easier.
As stated earlier, I tried some D'Addario in Nickle-bronze lights. They were loud with good bass, but the overtones that my wood combo (Spruce/RW) is known for just wasn't there. The tone was very fundamental and I can see why the Mahogany crowd likes these.
Nevertheless, I have some custom lights in this same string that I willl try.
I also, want to try some DR Sunbeam 12's, but barring any big surprises, I'll be staying with the 80/20 Ernies on the Larry and the Ernie AB's on the Taylor 12 fret.

Cheers
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce