Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taylor T5  (Read 1023 times)
mdrulez

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2005, 08:12:23 AM »

Once again, I'm doing this for my marketing class...for a paper actually.  
It's on a new product, and I came across the highly anticipated Taylor T5 Thinline Five-way Guitar.  

It's a cross between electric and acoustic, something along the line of a Chet Atkins SST, but with the abilities of both (unlike the SST...I think)

Any word on the street or personal thoughts about such a product?  Would anyone consider buying it?  

Here's a link for more information:
Taylor T5

Larrivee OM-O3R (K&K Mini Passive)
Fender Telecaster Butterscotch Blode
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 11:37:54 AM »

One assumes this guitar would be useful to recording and performing artists, rather than a porch picker.  That said, if the technology is right and the sound good there is probably a market for the guitar.  But I'm not sure I see anything evolutionary here.  And to be honest, Taylor is due for a mis-step.

E. Shoaf
flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 09:06:14 PM »

I think this is a guitar primarily for performing and recording...and, from what I've been able to find out, it seems to be suited quite well for it.  I don't know how it will go over with those who have guitars mostly just to sit around and play (someone such as me, who plays primarily for my dogs and grandkids...), but it seems to getting a pretty good reception from performing artists...at least on the west coast.

It may be something that stays around, it may be something like the AB, which, though a good product, is no longer available because sales simply didn't justify it.

If I was someone in a band or who gigged frequently, I'd seriously consider trying one out.

However, I'm not...

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 12:18:39 AM »

Can't say I'd want one, but you do need to give Taylor credit for going out on the edge a lot with some of their guitars.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 01:17:47 AM »

Nothing new with the concept. Both Guild and Ovation have had thin body acoustic/electrics for awhile.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
philster

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 03:12:49 AM »

Check out Rick Turner's renaissance guitars http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/rs6.html
I think someone here had one they didn't keep.  Comes in Baritone too!

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
mdrulez

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 05:41:15 AM »

I've been looking at the ovation and the Gibson SST, and they are thinline, but mainly for acoustic sound.  I haven't seen one used for electric purposes.  However, the T5 is expected to be more of an electric than the SST, making it rather unique.  It can even handle both electric and acoustic strings.  I think flaggerphil made a good point in that most people who buy high-end guitars get them to enjoy at home.  The market for performers isn't as large.  For some reason, I think Taylor might be making a mistake, but then again they've probably done more marketing research than I have.

Larrivee OM-O3R (K&K Mini Passive)
Fender Telecaster Butterscotch Blode
jankymutt

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 09:18:12 AM »

Jason Mraz used one of these at his show a few months back. I wasn't really impressed with it.  For his style of music I think only a true acoustic works.  Dave Matthews uses something similar and sometimes he can kind of get away with it, but I think artists should go acoustic or electric.  These acoustic thinlines are neither and don't do a good job of mimicing either one.  

2005 Larrivée  LV-03
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: