Identify Orsino's Guitars And Win........nothing.

Started by orsino, March 05, 2005, 07:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom,

You made the following statement on another thread after I had asked about people being able to identify Martins in blind tests.

"Oh my goodness, Martin DOES have a very distinct, identifiable sound.

--------------------
Tom"

Seems like maybe not everyone can do it 100 percent of the time!   :P  ;)  
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

Come on people, it's so obvious  :blink:  :lol: ...this is the order...Martin, Larrivée, then Goodall (i.e.- the order in which they were listed).

OK, Tom, when are you going to give us the answer...
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

Point taken Rob. This kind of test really depends on what you're listening to the clips through as well. An inexpensive set of PC speakers won't give you the sound you need for telling the differences. I have a fairly good set of speakers and amp that I run from my PC soundcard and it was a little difficult telling a lot of difference between the clips through the speakers. But, when I used my headphones, the differences were unmistakable to me. Think of the bass that a D-28 has. To me, all Martin's have that same signature tone to different degrees. Anyway, the most important thing is, if you like the tone, go for it. Are you paying a little more for having the Martrin name on the headstock? Probably. But, if you really like the tone of a particular Martin, I wouldn't let a few hundred dollars stand in my way. Neither would I look down on an $800 Larrivee like my OM-03BW just because of what it says on the headstock. I think it's a no-brainer that when you pick up a Larrivee, no matter the model, you're going to play the best value out there.

Hey Jerry. The answers are on the first page of the thread.

Oh, the tune is indeed In My Life. One of the best melodies ever written IMO.

Sorry, I guess I didn't read thoroughly enough.

Thanks.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

i think clip 3 sounded the best, not because its a larrivee, but because i just think it has the best overall sound. i like clip 2's sound the least of all. nice playing, as usual...

Martin indeed makes some wonderful guitars.  Perhaps I'll own one someday.  

You are absolutely right Tom, a guitar that speaks to you is a great guitar and worth every penny.  Now, does my bank account always agree with my heart and my ears?  Unfortunately not.  I just got my first Larrivee, which I consider to be the first really good guitar I've ever owned.  I hope there are more nice guitars in my future.  
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

QuoteOh, the tune is indeed In My Life. One of the best melodies ever written IMO.
He shoots , he scores. Bring it on.

QuoteOh, the tune is indeed In My Life. One of the best melodies ever written IMO.
Tom
While I like your version of the tune, if ever you get the chance, give a listen to Laurence Juber's version of In My Life, it's second to the original in my mind by far the best instrumental version.  He worked out even the piano solo, it's very cool.

I got the tab from Fingerstyle Guitar magazine some months back.  I then purchased his CD, LJ plays the Beatles.  There's some great stuff on there.

As a proud owner of two Larrivees, I am excited to see that the what I thought was a Goodall was infact a Larrivee... I thought it sounded the best of the 3 choices, so I assumed that it was the Goodall... Happy to be wrong  :D

Differences were way too subtle for me to discern....all sounded the same. Exactly!

Fun to listen, though.
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

due to the recent cancellation of the NHL hockey season..... please cease with the hockey phrases as it impedes on my ability to cope without hockey!  :unsure:

Tom amazing playing, as usual!!

can you do a test with all three guitars playing the intro to CRAZY TRAIN!!  :D

cheers,
Kit  
1993 - Larrivee D-60 Rosewood w/ Bband A1 / ust
a good way to start my Larrivee collection!

Celebrate we will Because life is short but sweet for certain

Tom
While I like your version of the tune, if ever you get the chance, give a listen to Laurence Juber's version of In My Life, it's second to the original in my mind by far the best instrumental version.  He worked out even the piano solo, it's very cool.

I got the tab from Fingerstyle Guitar magazine some months back.  I then purchased his CD, LJ plays the Beatles.  There's some great stuff on there.
That is a good one too, Denis. I have that same issue of FG magazine. After one   year I stil love plying that song, but thhe bridge is still a little hard for me to play.

orsino: in your opinion how does the OM-21 compare with the OM-03R? I think I would still prefer the Larrivee (because Martins have too much bass for my taste) but I'm just curious.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Denis, no doubt Juber has set the standard for ANY fingerstyle arrangement of Beatles tunes. All that touring with McCartney must have rubbed off on him.
LJ Plays the Beatles is a must have for any fingerstyle players' music library.
Although the piano solo (or was it a harpsichord? I need to listen to the original again I guess) is a monumental fete on Juber's part, I have to admit that it's not my favorite part of the piece. Actually I've always thought it could have been left out of the original. It has just always seemed so out of place to the style of the tune. That George Martin, was/is a genious but he added some kind of wacky things at times. Anyway, I can tell you it's a moot point anyway as I sincerely doubt that I would be able to play Juber's solo anyway. He's such a great player!

Neil, I think you answered your own question. The two are great in their own right. Both are wonderful instruments.