Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Have I Been?  (Read 317 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2019, 01:35:16 AM »

I was looking at models at Larrivée.com and just realized that the company is making no electric guitars, at this time. It came as a bit of a surprise. What a shame! My RS-4 is the best single cutaway, double humbucker, solid body that I've ever owned and, if not the best, close to the best I've ever played. What a strange world we live in.  

In fact, except for a brief comment in the history section about the mid 80's, there seems to be no mention of electric guitars at all. 

* Amber and Orange with Gem.jpg (74.54 KB, 720x960 - viewed 13 times.)

* 10402818_10153016394971936_4297134377291831128_n.jpg (38.67 KB, 600x600 - viewed 13 times.)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 01:44:54 AM »

Speaking of those mid 80's models. I love this little monster!

* LT-1 .JPG (41.49 KB, 577x433 - viewed 13 times.)
DarkskyZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »

I agree with you, that is really disappointing that these are not in Larrivée's line up anymore.
I have been lucky enough to get 3 of the latest models in the past few months, I only miss the Lancaster (but I am still looking out).

Love those.

Larrivée RS-4 Amber Burst - Lollar Imperials - 2008
Larrivée RS-2 Seafoam Green - P90s - 2011
Larrivée TL-4 Bakersfield Butterscotch - 2012
Larrivée D-03E - 2008
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe - 1976 (previously owned by my personal favorite songwriter)
Fender American Elite Stratocaster sky burst metallic - 2019
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »

Beautiful trio Darksky! I guess I understand a halt in production if they're not selling (which is a crying shame) but I'm a bit surprised that it's like it never even happened. It's like they've been sent down the memory hole. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 03:23:06 PM »

Beautiful trio Darksky! I guess I understand a halt in production if they're not selling (which is a crying shame) but I'm a bit surprised that it's like it never even happened. It's like they've been sent down the memory hole. 

Well, Tom, we know Larrivee's never been big on self-promotion, and they certainly (most likely anyway) don't have the staff to maintain an area on their website for historical accuracy. Pity, because as you say, these are great guitars.

The electric market must be pretty tough right now. Us Boomers keep getting older; many of us are downsizing our collections (or "right-sizing" them, which includes moving along some instruments to acquire "lifetime dream" instruments - a mode I'll confess I'm in). So it doesn't surprise me that Larrivee isn't building them currently.

I often wonder how they're doing on the acoustic side (based on the low traffic on this website of new / repeat buyers). Maybe they're selling a lot of guitars in Europe and Japan?   

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 01:21:37 AM »

Well, Tom, we know Larrivee's never been big on self-promotion, and they certainly (most likely anyway) don't have the staff to maintain an area on their website for historical accuracy. Pity, because as you say, these are great guitars.

The electric market must be pretty tough right now. Us Boomers keep getting older; many of us are downsizing our collections (or "right-sizing" them, which includes moving along some instruments to acquire "lifetime dream" instruments - a mode I'll confess I'm in). So it doesn't surprise me that Larrivee isn't building them currently.

I often wonder how they're doing on the acoustic side (based on the low traffic on this website of new / repeat buyers). Maybe they're selling a lot of guitars in Europe and Japan?   

Yeah while I get it and after being a little surprised that they are no longer making any electrics at all, I'm more surprised that, after a brief mention of the guitars they made in the 80's, there is apparently no record of them ever making some very nice electric guitars. That's a little baffling to me.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »

i got few electrics, an original (Vancouver) RS4 with carved top (before C & C machines) and a couple of the Oxnard RS4's, I think there's RS2 in the herd as well.
very fine playing electric guitars.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »

i got few electrics, an original (Vancouver) RS4 with carved top (before C & C machines) and a couple of the Oxnard RS4's, I think there's RS2 in the herd as well.
very fine playing electric guitars.

Yes and the Larrivée Guitars should be proud of them. Perhaps they should have a Hall of Fame section on the web site?   
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »

I had a couple more but other folks have them now.
These guitars get played and worked, except for the Traditional cherry Burst RS4 because,
Well, it's rather a stunning piece, and I'd rather sell it than take it to gigs.

If the Larrivee family wishes to play down their involvement in electrics, it's their choice.
They know, and us lucky owners know- those guitars are top shelf, top notch instruments, and can stand up to any others out there.

* L1130120.jpg (263.63 KB, 1015x793 - viewed 12 times.)

* L1130121.jpg (269.96 KB, 824x1213 - viewed 13 times.)

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 01:10:10 AM »

If the Larrivee family wishes to play down their involvement in electrics, it's their choice.

Well, obviously. If that's what they're choosing to do. I thought it was merely an oversight. If the former ... that's just crazy.  wacko 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: