Unknown Schon guitar by Larrive

Started by Daniele2301, December 02, 2018, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,
my name is Daniele, from Italy. I've already a fantastic Larrivee Custom RS-2 from the 80's, and I've the possibility of buying this Schon guitar from a store in my town.
I've knew that Larrivée produced guitar from Neal Schon, and infact the shape of the body is very similar, but I cant find any guitars like that on the web.
Can you tell me if you know this model?
Thank you

Daniele :)

These are probably the most "collectible" Larrivee electric of any era as far as I know Larrivee made a couple hundred for Schon. The Larrivee equivalent from that era would have been an RS-4 - pic of mine a 1986 (NOT SCHON) for comparative purposes. The most significant difference between mine and the Schon you photographed, is the Schon has a carved maple cap.  Headsup has a Larrivee RS-4 carved top - hopefully will post a pic
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Interesting - I didn't know there were any Schon's in a different body shape than the original Schon (with no upper horn, just a lower one, and two humbuckers).

Some Schon's were also made by Jackson (I think), I believe - are you sure this one is a Larrivee?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thank you for your answers, I have bought it, I will have it on Wednesday and post some photos for sure! In the meantime I would like to read some other opinions. Have you ever seen one of these guitars before?

Daniele :)

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 02, 2018, 09:34:15 PM

Some Schon's were also made by Jackson (I think), I believe - are you sure this one is a Larrivee?
Its a Larrivee - 22 frets the Jackson made Schon's had 24
Quote from: Daniele2301 on December 03, 2018, 03:15:06 AM
Have you ever seen one of these guitars before?
Yes
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

And do you have any photos of them? Which can be its value?
Thank you again

Quote from: Daniele2301 on December 03, 2018, 06:21:32 PM
And do you have any photos of them

You might find this site of interest tho it contains minor errors.

Here's my  older RS4.

I also had a nice black one once....

carved Maple cap, neck through body design, original Jean Larrivee hand wound pick-ups.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

That is an unusual guitar.   Looks like a Larrivee RS4 CM body and fret board  with a Schon head stock???  When you get your guitar can you send more pics and maybe a serial number?  

Larrivee to my limited knowledge made 5 various Schon body styles with certain variations through the models. (I keep learning more.)

The single cut NS series standard body
The single cut NS series with bevel cut body  
The double cut Reverse flat top
The double cut Reverse sculptured top  
The double cut Reverse sculptured maple top  

There were also the usual Larrivee customs, proto-types and one of a kinds.  

The variations included hardware, pickups and pickup configurations, colors, bolt-on, neck through, Ferrari rails, bridges etc.

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

found a couple more pics of my old RS4 with the carved maple top.
also with the newer RS4 with maple cap.
Older one with JCL pups, newer one with ML pups.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Thats a RS 4 CM with a Schon neck .