Anybody try the new JCL tuners? Black Friday sale on Larrivee.com

Started by game7, November 24, 2018, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just pulled the trigger on a set due to the deal.Figured if Larrivee uses them on the high end stuff
, they must be ok. Anybody try them?

Well I installed them and I'm happy with the purchase. They seem to be much higher quality than the original pings and look better to me.

I thought about it but I had just ordered a set of Gotoh 510's from LMII so I didn't buy any. I really liked the Gotoh's on my D-05 and want to put a set on my L-01 the next string change. Any idea who makes the JCL tuners?

A company called Faradyne makes them- can't find any info on them. I was looking hard the the gotoh 510s too. The sale pushed me over the edge a little + I thought it would be cool to use a larrive branded tuner.

Quote from: game7 on December 03, 2018, 03:48:01 PM
A company called Faradyne makes them- can't find any info on them.
Believe the Faradyne Tuners  are Asian possibly Chinese. I think these have only been used by Larrivee since 2012, so they have a bit of history - I don't hear any negative reviews or experiences after 5-6 years of use
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 03, 2018, 05:29:32 PM
Believe the Faradyne Tuners  are Asian possibly Chinese. I think these have only been used by Larrivee since 2012, so they have a bit of history - I don't hear any negative reviews or experiences after 5-6 years of use

Well at least they found an Asian company to make good quality tuners, and brand them.
It's a conundrum-I'm sure. For decades Schallers were the choice, for their Victoria and Vancouver acoustics and electrics.
In the early Seventies Jean used Grovers, pretty much exclusively.

This issue is a bit of a sore spot with me around the Godin folks.
They build a LOT of guitars and have serious manufacturing real estate.
They make fine guitars, but invariably, on some (many) models) they put real poor (branded) pick-ups in as well as tuners, made in Asia.

More than once, I have raised this issue with them, only to be told "I'm the only one to complain"-(not true).
Are guitar tuners so very complex in design that having a local shop produce them seems impossible?
Or is it merely a price point ( I suspect) issue.

apologies for taking the OP to this place, happy to delete.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Cheaper tuners and such are a way to keep costs down. What they told you is likely true. Most people don't know or care and the rest of us can easily drop better tuners into our guitars after grumbling some. However, you can't beat those old Grovers, in my book.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 04, 2018, 08:04:33 PM
Cheaper tuners and such are a way to keep costs down. What they told you is likely true. Most people don't know or care and the rest of us can easily drop better tuners into our guitars after grumbling some. However, you can't beat those old Grovers, in my book.   

I have a couple sets, people take them off because after years, the grease can get hard, causing a bumpy shift.
they can be disassembled, cleaned and re greased and work like new- providing the very small washers are still with the units.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 04, 2018, 08:04:33 PM
Cheaper tuners and such are a way to keep costs down. What they told you is likely true. Most people don't know or care and the rest of us can easily drop better tuners into our guitars after grumbling some.  

Honestly I think the Full Size Pings that Larrivee used for years (starting in the late 90s) were just fine.  The minis on the other hand  :yak:

My only real complaint with the Pings is that absolutely nobody seems to make Schaller style wooden buttons that fit them.

Not sure exactly what Larrivee is using now.  I am under the impression they still use Pings on the -03 series and Faradynes on the -05 and higher.

One of these days I'll shell out the cash to put Schaller S6 minis on the Parlor.

Doesn't Charis make wooden buttons that fit Pings? Kinda pricey though.

Quote from: game7 on December 06, 2018, 10:37:56 AM
Doesn't Charis make wooden buttons that fit Pings? Kinda pricey though.

Charis does indeed.  As you say, pricey.   

I ordered a set of Schaller tuners and was sent a set of these JCL's.
Have yet to install them. Seems like good quality tuners but I find they are rather heavy....
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

For what it's worth, i didn't notice any neck dive or feel a weight diff after switching over to these