why aren't Larrivees more popular ?

Started by DaveyO, October 19, 2018, 12:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Among dealers,more well known players,and guitar players
In general
Larrivee makes one of the best,I just don't understand it
Thoughts?

Given how competitive the market is, they are very popular. But, I think the reason they may have not reached the level of a brand like Taylor, despite being generally better guitars than Taylors, is marketing.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 19, 2018, 01:03:42 PM
Given how competitive the market is, they are very popular. But, I think they may have not reached the level of a brand like Taylor, despite being generally better guitars than Taylors, is marketing.
Agreed; marketing & Promotion
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Too many people hung up on the name on the headstock instead of trying and listening. If you catch some *other* forums on the posts with NGD, everyone responds to the Martins & Taylors and few respond to others, almost like .............. lemmings. :humour:
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Why do they need to be popular?Then they'd have to produce more and there brand would decline like others have.I'm a Big Guild fan and you never see them in any store's.I'm an even Bigger Larrivee fan and there isn't a dealer in town anymore.Got 2 Taylor dealers and 2 Martin dealers and the product just seems to hang on the walls very slow turn over,some of the guitars in one shop have been hangin there for 3 years.Let's just leave the BS to other companies.Oh ya the last Guild I bought was a made in China jumbo 12 strig to replace my RI made JF30/12 that I played to death only took 30 years of hard playing and I gig on my OM03PA for all style of music does just fine by me.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Define "popular".

Larrivee is the 3rd or 4th largest manufacture of Guitars in the US.

Look at how many big name performers use Takamine guitars.   I really don't see much in the way of marketing for that name but I see them on stage far more frequently than Larrivee.   Of course Martins and Gibsons are the traditional favorites with Taylor becoming a bigger "player" all the time.  By the way, an unofficial survey seems to suggest that Taylor guitars are favored by Christian music performers.  (the Rev may disagree, however)  Anyhow, I enjoy owning and playing  a quality guitar that many people have never heard of.  You wouldn't believe how many people ask me about one of my Larrivee Forum shirts when I'm out and about.   

Quote from: tuffythepug on October 19, 2018, 09:28:28 PM
Look at how many big name performers use Takamine guitars.   I really don't see much in the way of marketing for that name   

I see their magazine ads far more frequently then Larrivee and their Endorsement Budget I'm sure would connect the above dot you mention. And we all know what Larrivee's endorsement budget is
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: AZLiberty on October 19, 2018, 09:06:05 PM
Define "popular".

Larrivee is the 3rd or 4th largest manufacture of Guitars in the US.
Not that it defines popular but I doubt Larrivee is the 3rd or 4th largest manufacture of Guitars in the US

Gibsons are very popular.

(And of course Gibson is in bankruptcy.)
:wave

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 20, 2018, 08:08:45 AM
Not that it defines popular but I doubt Larrivee is the 3rd or 4th largest manufacture of Guitars in the US

You are correct.  I should have said "Acoustic Guitars"

Marin in Taylor both make between 100,00 and 120,000 guitars per year.  Well over half of Taylor's production comes out of their Mexico plant.  (Their 100 series outsells everything else combined).  Most estimates put Martin at about 40% from their Mexico plant.

Gibson and Larrivee make about the same amount.  Really depends on how badly Gibson's Montana site is doing on a given week, but they average 200 guitars a week. 

Anyone else actually make a significant number of guitars in the US?

They are plenty popular at my house.

Ed

Late 80's and early 90's Takamine must have made a push of black guitars into the country scene and acoustics just weren't cool in other markets. Taylor went after that market and contemporary Christian worship market with a vengeance. Marketing does serve a purpose
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

" Anyhow, I enjoy owning and playing  a quality guitar that many people have never heard of.  You wouldn't believe how many people ask me about one of my Larrivee Forum shirts when I'm out and about. "  

I have the same type response's during Jams and especially Open mic's. Player's coming up to me stating " What a Great/Beautiful/Fantastic sounding guitar" (Many other  positive words). So They "Hear" the quality but still go for the and stay with the "Name brands" Their Loss :bgrin:
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

.... By the way, an unofficial survey seems to suggest that Taylor guitars are favored by Christian music performers.  (the Rev may disagree, however) 

In my church band, three of us play Larrivées, and sometimes it's all three onstage at the same time.  That's where the pic I supplied for GOTM once came from.  (It's not officially a Taylor-free zone, but close....)
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I am happy that they are not more well known for the simple fact that it didn't cost me a fortune to have an exceptional guitar. I still look at the name on the headstock but buy with my ears. 
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

I look at the name on the headstock...I just happen to know that Larrivee is the "under the radar" brand that gets me every time. I feel like I'm in on a sweet sweet secret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote from: AZLiberty on October 20, 2018, 05:24:37 PM

Gibson and Larrivee make about the same amount.  Really depends on how badly Gibson's Montana site is doing on a given week, but they average 200 guitars a week. 

Where did you get this information? I'm not trying to question it, but I'd like a source, because it doesn't seem likely to me.

Gibson is selling a LOT of acoustics these days. My favorite mom & pop shop is an acoustic dealer for Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Alvarez, Ibanez, Fender, Epiphone,  Yamaha and even Larrivee. They won't order Larrivees anymore, because they sit on the wall too long (lack of name brand recognition in the Midwest - even though this is a music town). But he has at least a dozen Gibsons hanging on the wall right now (and usually a dozen Martins and that many Taylors).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 23, 2018, 11:30:31 AM
Where did you get this information? I'm not trying to question it, but I'd like a source, because it doesn't seem likely to me.

Gibson is selling a LOT of acoustics these days. My favorite mom & pop shop is an acoustic dealer for Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Alvarez, Ibanez, Fender, Epiphone,  Yamaha and even Larrivee. They won't order Larrivees anymore, because they sit on the wall too long (lack of name brand recognition in the Midwest - even though this is a music town). But he has at least a dozen Gibsons hanging on the wall right now (and usually a dozen Martins and that many Taylors).

I am pretty sure Elderly, in Lansing, MI, has adopted the same business "model" regarding Larrivee. Elderly has used Larrivees but no new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess my perspective is a little different. I got my first Larrivee in 1980. Talk about no one knowing about them in U.S.! For next 10 years I saw 2 others and heard almost nothing about them except for some ads and articles in the old Frets magazine. So from 1600 guitars or so made over the first 13 years (going by my serial#) to 150,000 + or however many they've made now they are steadily growing. More importantly, quality and popularity and not the same. Beyond that they do generally have a different sound than has been traditional in U.S. and they, it seems to me, have for the most part stuck to their idea of making balanced clear voiced guitars.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.