Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst guitar ever?  (Read 561 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »

OK my curiosity is killing me, when can we hear the story?

I posted a rather lengthy reply to this, involving other folks- so I deleted it.
 there's a long story (and it's a good one, and over a beer I'm happy to share it.
 The short story is...

The reason why Pete Townshend bought my guitar is because he once played one "just like mine" in London at Selmers Music in 1962.
he loved it it, and when he saw mine come up for sale he bought it.
I'm happy he did, I don't think he will be thrilled when he gets it back from his tech ( which is where I was instructed to ship it.....)

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Blues

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 12:11:23 AM »

So I guess I've come full circle in my 67 years of life. From not understanding a cheesy acoustic archtop to owning and actually knowing how to play a quality acoustic archtop. Yet there is much to learn!

Great stuff thx.

My second guitar I got, oh, 50 years ago (YIKES!) was one you might have liked. An old 1943ish Gibson ES-300. Fat, fat neck with nice thick maple plywood top back and sides, but a lovely rosewood fretboard with killer parallelogram inlays. Had an early version of a P-90 in it but I never plugged in. The first of several Grand Concert sized cutaways eventually kicked it out of the harem to someone who appreciated it more and could fix up my abuse of it.

+1

Oh, yeah, pics of the new Eastman would be nice, here's my former guitar of my youth. . .

Nice looking rig there Brother! I love those old Gibon Archies. I shopped long and hard before I bought the Eastman. I had considered older Gibby L-5, L-7, and a Super 400 but could not justify the inflated prices of these instruments when a top of the line Eastman is cheaper. Even the 1940's-1950's lower rung L-48 and L-50 I found were in great shape but still in the $2K range.
I've playing the Eastman all day! I love, love, it. I just ordered a couple of sets of strings (D'Adderio NYXL 1252W) and new Gotoh 510 tuners for the rig.
I DID try to post a picture but the website but it would not let me. Any tips for posting?
Blues

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »

Eastman makes gorgeous instruments (including some beautiful mandolins). Have always daydreamed of owning one. Congrats on your acquisition. Any recordings we can hear?

BTW, as awful as those old Sivertone archtops were to play, have you noticed how much they bring these days?

Thanks Bro! Love my Eastman! As I just posted above I did check out prices on a bunch of old Gibbys and other makes including Silvertone, Harmony, etc. some folks were asking over $500 for unplayable wall hangers. Some of these did appear to be in good shape but needed a neck reset.
No sound bites yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to post the picture of my Esatman I have.

Blues
lkjjr

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 12:53:23 AM »

How to upload pictures/attachments and resize them...

try this link
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=17600.0

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
Blues

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 01:08:59 AM »

How to upload pictures/attachments and resize them...

try this link
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=17600.0

Lkjjr,
Thanks for the link. I followed it and read the directions and found this “The Newbie membergroup is restricted from posting pictures”. So it looks like I’m on ice until I get 10 posts and graduate from Nebie status. LOL!

Low & Slow,
Blues
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 04:04:52 AM »

gosh thats some nice guitars,

i guess i missed something with my "worst guitar" thread?
Those old Gibsons and newer Eastmans are hardly what I'd consider "worst guitars".

maybe I'm in the wrong wheelhouse here?

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 05:47:16 AM »

My First Guitar:

Kingston 12-string.  Payed 100 bucks for it and I think I got taken.  Intonation was god-awful.   Action was terrible, but eventually got it set up ok.  Mostly the nut was way too high.

Made from the finest South-East-Asian plywood

Eventually the neck separated.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Gordo in OZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »

A Maton guitar. It just sounded dead.
One thing about Larrivee Guitars, is that Jean uses the best wood.
 A great place to start if you are a guitar builder.
Maton used to be really good in the 1970's. They were known as 'the Australian Martin' and they were often better than Martins at a great price point. Sadly the newer ones are often very ordinary. I really want to own a Maton because I live in Australia and it feels treasonous not to have one. I have 3 Larrivees that exceed the Maton equivalents and the Larrivees probably were cheaper than the local product.

Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps
C-10-4-me

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 03:07:45 AM »

Hands down for me had to be a Takamine cedar topped cutaway. I don’t remember the model # but it had an N and a 10 in it. Anyway, I bought it and a Fender Twin amp for $500 from a guy that needed some cash. I swear, the action on that guitar changed daily. Just when I would get it dialed in the next time I took it out of the case the action would be different. I got so frustrated with it I took it and the amp to Elderly to trade them on another guitar. If I remember correctly they gave me $400 for the amp and $200 for the guitar. Took the $600 and put it on a Taylor 410-ce. That is another story altogether as it too didn’t stay in the stable very long.

Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 04:07:44 AM »

My First Guitar:

Kingston 12-string.  Payed 100 bucks for it and I think I got taken.  Intonation was god-awful.   Action was terrible, but eventually got it set up ok.  Mostly the nut was way too high.

Made from the finest South-East-Asian plywood

Eventually the neck separated.

The neck separated?  How did that affect the children?
canada

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »

I bought an Augustino Loprinzi guitar on eBay a few years ago and it was awful. Turns out it was made by his daughter Donna using laminates for the back and sides.

The guitar had no tone,volume projection etc.

First and last time I bought a guitar on eBay

1996 Larrivee L05<br />2014 Larrivee D 04W
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: