The difference in sound between the OM-03R (rosewood) and OM-09

Started by Vovansniper, September 17, 2018, 09:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thank you very much for answering my "difficult" question)  :cheers. The fact is that I am in Russia and shipping from North America costs a lot. So do not want to overpay for the extra beauty. Need a cool guitar for finger style. I prefer to play the guitar OM, also consider the L model (I think). Now I play Taylor 114e, but this guitar does not suit me now... Thought first buy too Taylor from the fifth series, but then for some reason wanted Larrivee)))

Quote from: Vovansniper on September 20, 2018, 12:24:10 PM
Thank you very much for answering my "difficult" question)  :cheers. The fact is that I am in Russia and shipping from North America costs a lot. So do not want to overpay for the extra beauty. Need a cool guitar for finger style. I prefer to play the guitar OM, also consider the L model (I think). Now I play Taylor 114e, but this guitar does not suit me now... Thought first buy too Taylor from the fifth series, but then for some reason wanted Larrivee)))

Choosing the "right" guitar can be confusing.  I can only tell you that I have had 7 Larrivee guitars and they were all excellent.  My first, an OM-03R, is still with me and is one of my favorites.  I also have had the top of the line 10 series and they were wonderful.  You literally cannot go wrong no matter which model and style you choose

Quote from: Goldtrek on September 20, 2018, 07:14:35 AM
:donut :donut2 I may have caused confusion saying that I played 10 models... I meant I played about (10) distinct Larrivee guitars, not the '10' series. My previous statement described my experience and difference in sound qualities I heard between the 03 vs 09 series. Would totally agree with your thoughts here.    :donut :donut2
That makes a lot more sense. Thx for the clarification.

To the OP, I'd base this purchase on what you have owned in the past and what your expectations are. If you just want a nice acoustic without spending a ton, the 03s are great.
If you've owned things like Collings, Bourgeois, and that level of guitar, just go straight for the 09 series Larrivees.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on September 20, 2018, 11:22:30 PM
That makes a lot more sense. Thx for the clarification.

To the OP, I'd base this purchase on what you have owned in the past and what your expectations are. If you just want a nice acoustic without spending a ton, the 03s are great.
If you've owned things like Collings, Bourgeois, and that level of guitar, just go straight for the 09 series Larrivees.

I tried several P and PV-09's, over the years, thinking they'd be an upgrade to my O-01.   I still have the 01 and all the 09s are gone. A few years ago, I got a PV-03...  I still have it.

We all hear what we hear in a given guitar, and sometimes some folks let specs drive their tastes.

Ed

Quote from: eded on September 21, 2018, 06:14:34 AM
I tried several P and PV-09's, over the years, thinking they'd be an upgrade to my O-01.   I still have the 01 and all the 09s are gone. A few years ago, I got a PV-03...  I still have it.

We all hear what we hear in a given guitar, and sometimes some folks let specs drive their tastes.

Ed

FWIW, and to clarify, to imply anyone who would not prefer an 09 over an 03 is because they were not familiar with "high end" guitars, is nonsense.

Ed

Most builders, at least factory builders, have figured out how to build a less expensive model and have it be less of a guitar. Other than cosmetics, Larrivée hasn't quite figured that out. Of course, any single guitar may defy the average and exceed all expectations and some other ones may let you down. Bit of a crap shoot if you can't try out a lot of guitars.    :cheers

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 22, 2018, 08:37:26 PM
Most builders, at least factory builders, have figured out how to build a less expensive model and have it be less of a guitar. Other than cosmetics, Larrivée hasn't quite figured that out. Of course, any single guitar may defy the average and exceed all expectations and some other ones may let you down. Bit of a crap shoot if you can't try out a lot of guitars.    :cheers

Haven't tried too many Larrivees' that if strung with a decent string wasn't take homeable! So your odds are certainly in the on-line favour. Couldn't agree more with your insight in their inability to build "cheap" guitar. Larrivee biggest issue has always been marketing and low pricing
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: eded on September 22, 2018, 06:45:16 PM
FWIW, and to clarify, to imply anyone who would not prefer an 09 over an 03 is because they were not familiar with "high end" guitars, is nonsense.

Ed
Didn't understand what you were trying to say at first but after seeing it again perhaps it's about my post. It may be nonsense to you but I've definitely heard a difference in the quality of tone between the numerous 03s and the higher end models (09, 50, 60, 70) series model Larrivees I've both played and owned, which is why I'd recommend an 09 to someone who already owns high end brands. I think they are more likely to get better volume, overtones, and response. I feel that the tops Larrivee puts on those more expensive models often (but not always) produce a better sound. I used to say they were all the same until I tried and owned a decent sampling.

People can have different personal experiences, I'm not trying to force my ideas on anyone. Nor am I promoting snobbery or saying anything bad about the wonderful 03s. Just sharing the idea that maybe those more expensive guitars might actually... be better guitars (wild idea, I know).
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 23, 2018, 02:06:50 PM
Haven't tried too many Larrivees' that if strung with a decent string wasn't take homeable! So your odds are certainly in the on-line favour. Couldn't agree more with your insight in their inability to build "cheap" guitar. Larrivee biggest issue has always been marketing and low pricing

The new Willie Watson OM-01's look to be a great deal even if quite a bit more than the originals. I love Larrivée for this seeming inability, by the way.   :cheers