CUSTOM BUILD HELP

Started by kendrix, September 11, 2018, 08:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,
I am saving up to get my first custom build and I am planning on doing that on 40s model. I don't have a lot experience when it comes to choosing a guitar and honestly I haven't found my match yet. This will be my first Larrivee therefore, I would need an input here. First, I won't be playing a lot of gigs and personal I like an unplugged session with small number of people so I am thinking of not getting an electric/acoustic, I like the intimate sort of vibe. When it comes to songs, I don't really place happy songs, I'm more of a dark songs or if you know Damien Rice, thats what I play. There's more strumming than fingerpicking/plucking. I don't like that metallic sound and so much overtones per say I don't really know how to explain it. And lastly, I can't decide between an OO or OOO, I really have small hands and fingers, and I really like using my thumb on the low E string instead of barre. What size of fretboard/nut width would be ideal. I really appreciate the help!

Don't take offense, but I cannot imagine why someone would get a custom build when they are not familiar with the models, the brand, and aren't sure what they want. Custom is the last thing I'd recommend unless you're entirely ok burning cash and it won't impact you.

I see people lose literally thousands of dollars all the time on custom builds that they ended up selling soon after.
I think what you need is to buy, try, and sell a lot of guitars until you know exactly what you like, then have a custom dream guitar built.

No one ever figures out their ideal guitar in paper. It requires a lot of time playing different guitars.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut
Welcome!
I brought donuts since you seem to have inadvertently overlooked bringing some yourself.
How many Larrivees have you actually played? Where are you located? And why do you think you need a custom build?
What other guitars do you currently have?
I used to like to use my thumb to play the E string... until I learned about proper guitar setups. With action set sufficiently low, bar chords are no extra effort, and will enable you to easily play a 1.75 nut width guitar. Larrivees come with several basic nut widths. 1-3/4 and 1-11/16, plus 1-7/8. All mine are 1-3/4.
I am trying to understand what you mean by "metallic sound". Certain strings sound more that way when new.
Comment... even though you like unplugged, it may well be worth your while to have a pickup installed, like a K&K Pure Mini (not expensive, good sounding) and if you don't use it, you won't even know it is there.
I went and watched some Damien Rice. Laid back, mellow, slow.
Please tell us more about your thoughts and how you have come to this point in your thinking so far.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Here's my offering. A OO,  sitka/walnut, preferably Peruvian walnut, short scale (24.9" or less) 12 fret neck, 1 11/16" nut width. With a rectangular bridge too.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: B0WIE on September 11, 2018, 11:31:48 AM
Don't take offense, but I cannot imagine why someone would get a custom build when they are not familiar with the models, the brand, and aren't sure what they want. Custom is the last thing I'd recommend unless you're entirely ok burning cash and it won't impact you.

I see people lose literally thousands of dollars all the time on custom builds that they ended up selling soon after.
I think what you need is to buy, try, and sell a lot of guitars until you know exactly what you like, then have a custom dream guitar built.

No one ever figures out their ideal guitar in paper. It requires a lot of time playing different guitars.

Totally agree
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: mike in lytle on September 11, 2018, 11:41:51 AM
:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut
Welcome!
I brought donuts since you seem to have inadvertently overlooked bringing some yourself.
How many Larrivees have you actually played? Where are you located? And why do you think you need a custom build?
What other guitars do you currently have?
I used to like to use my thumb to play the E string... until I learned about proper guitar setups. With action set sufficiently low, bar chords are no extra effort, and will enable you to easily play a 1.75 nut width guitar. Larrivees come with several basic nut widths. 1-3/4 and 1-11/16, plus 1-7/8. All mine are 1-3/4.
I am trying to understand what you mean by "metallic sound". Certain strings sound more that way when new.
Comment... even though you like unplugged, it may well be worth your while to have a pickup installed, like a K&K Pure Mini (not expensive, good sounding) and if you don't use it, you won't even know it is there.
I went and watched some Damien Rice. Laid back, mellow, slow.
Please tell us more about your thoughts and how you have come to this point in your thinking so far.
Mike

Hey thanks for the input. I live in Canada, I have played some OMs at the dealer and I liked it. I want a guitar its made for me basically, and something that will last for years. I really like the thumb over E plus its easy to transition from different chords. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxD6aeNEzt4 the difference I've noticed here while the hog sounds really woody, low key which I like enough. Does the k&k pure mini available from Larrivee for them to install? I'm just looking here at their custom page https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Custom%20Option%20Pricing_v6.pdf.

Quote from: B0WIE on September 11, 2018, 11:31:48 AM

None taken, anyways that may have came out wrong. I have owned a couple taylor and martin and just saying that none of them just like click with me, I've watch a couple of Larrivee guitars videos on youtube and I like the sound their guitars. I'm not disagreeing at all. Ive saved enough just for this and I think Im ready. Thanks

:welcome: I'd suggest going to a few places that carry Larrivees and play as many as you can. They will all last a lifetime , provided they are well cared for. As far as having a *unique* guitar there are some limited run Larrivees out there, I just purchased a really nice L03 Flamed Maple Custom shop Deluxe, Maple Leaf inlays on the fretboard and head stock ( it's the Canadian in me, & I live in Texas now) and apparently there were only 30 made. So, it can be different with out ordering one. :thumbsup :donut :donut2 :coffee :donut :donut2 :coffee
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: Rockysdad on September 11, 2018, 08:47:44 PM
:welcome: I'd suggest going to a few places that carry Larrivees and play as many as you can. They will all last a lifetime , provided they are well cared for. As far as having a *unique* guitar there are some limited run Larrivees out there, I just purchased a really nice L03 Flamed Maple Custom shop Deluxe, Maple Leaf inlays on the fretboard and head stock ( it's the Canadian in me, & I live in Texas now) and apparently there were only 30 made. So, it can be different with out ordering one. :thumbsup :donut :donut2 :coffee :donut :donut2 :coffee

Thanks! as much as I would love that theres not a lot of store that carry Larrivee guitars and when they do, its all OMs. they're good but I don't enjoy it for some reason.

I'm not going to be much help with the topic.  I'm an L-body player.  But I'm guessing by the "metallic" thing, you were referring to how bright and almost jangly some guitars such as Taylors sound?

Anyway....  :welcome:
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I also agree with Bowie...if it were me I would find any way possible to play as many as possible before pulling the custom trigger. I ordered a custom a few months ago but that's after 11 years of playing Larrivee's of several different makes, models and wood combinations. While I have never played a Larrivee that didn't impress me, there have been some that just never felt comfortable, either neck width or body size and there are certain wood combinations that I really prefer with my voice. Good Luck, Take Your Time and Keep us in the loop!

Cheers,

SS

Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

As much help as anyone on the thread...

Go play as many guitars as you can.  If the headstock says Larrivee, fine.  If it says something else, fine.

Your connection to the guitar matters more than the headstock.

Ed

Listen to Bowie and Broken.

It took me 38 years of playing my own guitars and trying out a lot of other guitars before I ordered my first custom, a Larrivee LV-03MT 12 string which I have been playing for almost 14 years and I would never sell it.

Buying two Larrivees and adding them to the mix in 2004 (Parlor) and 2005 (12 string) gave me the extra money to purchase another guitar in 2007 but it took me another 8 years after that to order my second custom which will be three years old in December.

The only difference in my experience is that I have only ever sold two guitars I purchased including my first guitar, a Harmony that was unplayable and an Ovation 12 String Pacemaker that did not have a comfortable neck for me.

Quote from: fitness1 on September 24, 2018, 05:51:41 AM

Unfortunately it appears things may not be great at the Mothership.

That's a pretty loaded comment - care to substantiate what you're alluding? (I don't mean that to be snarky - I am genuinely interested, as I'm sure most folks around here are.)

:donut :coffee :coffee :donut2
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Wow, who'd a thunk a guitar manufacturer in this day and age may be in greater distress than in its golden age. If its news to anyone here I would be most surprised.

Gibson Martin Taylor Larrivee I'm certain are all feeling it, the message/symptoms expressed from the Mothership is likely mixed!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

It would be nice to find out exactly what that means. I took it to mean something very negative and it would be a shame if people were getting that impression incorrectly.

Sounds to me like they're busy making guitars. Just not enough time for one ofs.
Pain is a good thing

If it's not a big deal, then maybe this wasn't the best choice of words,
"Unfortunately it appears things may not be great at the Mothership."

To many of us, it implied that Larrivee is in troubled times.

Maybe it means Larrivee is too busy building standard models to build customs right now... that's as logical an assumption (and that's all we're doing here, is making assumptions).

In reality, the economy is on an upswing right now. In the past 2 weeks I've sold two guitars on Reverb (documented in the Other Guitar Makers forum) for my list price - one actually sold for $25 ABOVE my listed price! So people are starting to buy and sell non-essentials like musical instruments again.

I know that Martin is staying very busy building guitars right now.   One custom builder - Pre*War Guitars (who build vintage Martin and Gibson copies) - have seen their build times go from 2 - 3 months to 12 months in the past year.

What these means for Larrivee though - we really don't know.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Could just be that "someone" at Larrivee dropped the ball on your custom order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro